Last Updated: 06/03/13
Golf Channel’s Security Measures
The Information We Collect
Our Use of the Information
Third Party Use of the Information
Maintaining Your Profile/Opting Out/Data Retention
Cookies and IP Address Information
Contacting Golf Channel
1. Golf Channel’s Security Measures
Security for all PII is extremely important to us. Your PII is collected and stored securely on our servers in the United States. We store your PII securely, and use special procedures designed to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration or destruction.
- Industry standard physical and electronic procedures (including firewalls);
- Digital data encryption;
- Contractual guarantees from third-party business associates;
- Internal security policies and procedures.
Although we cannot guarantee the security of any communication over the Internet, our practices and technology help to secure information exchanged between your computer and our servers over the Internet and prevent unauthorized access. Please note that you are responsible for protecting any user name(s) and password(s) that provide you with access to the Sites. Golf Channel disclaims any responsibility for a breach of privacy as a result of you willingly or inadvertently disclosing user name(s) and password(s) to others. If you believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please notify us using the contact details below.
2. The Information We Collect
We may collect information when you interact with the Sites, for example when you subscribe to newsletters, register for chat rooms, purchase a tee time, participate in competitions or games, purchase merchandise, etc.
See below for more details about what type of information we may collect from you during those interactions.
- Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
You may use many of the features of the Sites without telling us who you are or revealing any PII. You must be a registered user in order to access the interactive features of the Sites, or to conduct any transactions through any of the Sites (e.g., booking a tee time through GolfNow). Registration will require you to provide certain PII, such as your name, email address and other information.
- Information You Give Us
We receive and store any information you enter on our Sites, submit through emails or other communication, or provide to us in any other way (including but not limited to: reviews, comments, video submissions, etc…). By submitting such content, you represent and warrant that:
- You are the sole author and owner of the intellectual property rights thereto;
- All "moral rights" that you may have in such content have been voluntarily waived by you;
- All content that you post is accurate;
You may choose not to provide certain information, but some of our features require PII in order to operate effectively. We use the information that you provide for purposes such as responding to your requests, customizing future promotions, fulfilling transactions, improving our functionality, and communicating with you.
If you choose not to provide us with your personal information, you may not be able to access some of the services offered on the Sites (e.g. subscribe to newsletters, enter competitions, purchase tee times, purchase products).
Our goal is to collect and use only that information that we think is required for our legitimate business interests, in order to better understand your interests and improve your experience of using the Sites. In order to do so, we may collect and use your personal information in the following ways:
Protecting our Rights. In general, we collect, store and use your information to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient and customized experience on the Sites. However, sometimes we need to collect and use your personal information to enable us to:
- provide technical support;
- prevent fraud or potentially illegal activities (including copyright infringement); or enforce our terms of service.
- Automatic Information
We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we use “cookies,” and we obtain certain types of information when your web browser accesses our email program. A number of companies offer utilities designed to help you visit websites anonymously. Although we will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience if we cannot recognize you, we want you to be aware that these tools exist.
When you visit the Sites, we automatically collect certain personal information, that we then aggregate so that it is not linked to a single, identifiable individual. This information provides us with statistics such as how many users visit the Site and which pages were accessed. By collecting this information, we learn how to best tailor this Site to our visitors. We may also enter into arrangements with outside companies that possess technology that allows us to customize the advertising and marketing messages you receive on the Sites. To learn more about those companies and how you can opt-out of targeted advertising on the Sites, please click on the Ad Choices icon at the bottom of each page. Please note that rejecting these cookies does not mean that you will no longer see advertising when you visit the Sites. Without these cookies the online ads you encounter will be less relevant to you and your interests.
We may also collect password information from you when you log in, as well as computer and/or connection information. During some visits we may use software tools to measure and collect session information, including page response times, download errors, time spent on certain pages and page interaction information.
- Email Communication
To help us make emails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation when you open email from us if your computer supports such capabilities. If you do not want to receive email from us, please adjust your account Email Preferences when you sign in or click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email.
- Communications with Friends
We may offer features where you can send information to others, such as forwarding articles, newsletters and/or tee times specials to friends. By sharing the contact details of others you are confirming that you have the right to share their information with Golf Channel OR Golf Channel is able to send the information to your friends without retaining their contact details.
- Interactive and Community Features
Our Sites may offer interactive and community features, such as message boards, chat, email accounts, short message service (SMS), instant messaging, profiles, personal homepages, etc. All information posted or sent through these features may be publicly available, and you should be aware that when you voluntarily disclose personal information (e.g., user name, email address, phone number) through these features, that information can be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited communications from other people. By accessing these features and disclosing personal information, you affirmatively consent to the distribution of your personal information as described above. Users' posts may be publicly and/or internally associated with their profiles/screen-names. Users are solely responsible for the content of messages they post or send on public forums.
- Contests, Sweepstakes and Surveys
We may also have contests, sweepstakes and surveys at our Sites. When you enter or participate in them, we request contact information from you (such as your full name, email address, mailing address, and telephone number) and may also request demographic or profile information. We will use the information you provide for the purpose of conducting the promotion (for example, to contact you if you have won). We may also use the information to send you newsletters and other information we think may be of interest. Recipients of our mailings can unsubscribe by following instructions that may appear at the end of the email communication. Any personal information we collect may be associated with registration information. We may share aggregate information with others. We may sometimes associate with sponsors in offering contests, sweepstakes or surveys, and may share (provide and receive) information with them. By entering or participating in such contests, sweepstakes, and surveys, you affirmatively consent to our collection and use of your data.
- Information from Other Sources
For reasons such as improving personalization of our service (for example, providing better product recommendations or special offers that we think will interest you), we might receive information about you from other sources who are entitled to share such information with us and add it to your account information. Sometimes we also receive updated delivery and address information from these other sources so that we can correct our records and deliver your next purchase or communication more easily.
- Anonymous Data
We may also use anonymous data in aggregate form for purposes of research or analysis. In order to better understand and serve our customers, we may conduct research based on customer demographics, interests and behaviors. Although this aggregated data may be based in part on personal information it does not identify any users personally. We may share this type of anonymous data with third parties, including our affiliates, agents, service providers and current and prospective business associates to administer the Sites and for advertising, promotional and other business purposes.
A number of companies offer utilities designed to help you visit websites anonymously. Although we will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience if we cannot recognize you, we want you to be aware that these tools exist.
- Collection of Non-Personally Identifiable Information
On an aggregate basis only, we collect comprehensive demographic information, and other non-personally identifying information about users of the Sites. Such information can also include your voluntary survey responses, information on how you access and search the Sites, and information regarding the domain names and/or IP addresses of browsers that visit the Sites. Golf Channel will never disclose any PII as part of this aggregate information derived from this PII, but we may lend, sell, share or otherwise disclose aggregate information with others so we can perform research and provide the results to third parties, enhance and market the Sites, and conduct accounting and process record keeping functions. We may also collect anonymous information about you (e.g., your IP address) to personalize your experience and deliver more relevant content and/or advertising messages.
3. Our Use of the Information
a. Use of Personally Identifiable Information
We use the PII you provide on the Sites for several purposes. For example, Golf Channel may use the information:
- To fulfill a transaction and/or make a reservation on your behalf (tee times, hotels, etc…);
- To provide the services you request;
- To help provide you with the ability to create personal profile areas;
- To provide customer feedback, service and support;
- To support and run contests, sweepstakes or other marketing or promotional activities on the Sites;
- To conduct questionnaires and surveys in order to provide better products and services to our customers;
- To understand more about you, so we can personalize newsletters and websites to your preferences;
- To enhance your web browsing experience and help personalize the Sites for your viewing preferences;
- To meet certain contractual obligations, as described herein.
We also may use your email address to send you informational emails, such as news, information about contests or promotions, notifications about tee times discounts or other deals, or changes or enhancements to the Sites. Certain of these emails may contain tracking capabilities that inform us when emails are opened. Upon registration for the Sites, you will have the opportunity to choose the email lists to which you would like to subscribe. If you subsequently don’t want to receive these informational email communications, please refer to the Opt-Out section below, or follow the unsubscribe instructions at the end of every email. You may subscribe to certain email lists without subscribing to all of them, but you will be required to submit your email address in order to conduct an online tee time transaction.
- Your Rights.
We provide visitors to the Sites with access to personal information they provide through the Sites and the ability to review, update and correct it as and when necessary. Such requests may be subject to a small fee. To help protect your privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity, such as requiring a password and user ID, and possibly photo ID before granting access to your personal information.
- Third Party Use of the Information
Specifically, we may share your PII as follows:
We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include email promotions, data entry, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. They have access to PII needed to perform their functions and can only use and disclose such personal information as is necessary to perform the services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements. We use operational service providers to perform certain services on our behalf, such as maintaining the Sites and our mailing lists, storing, processing and transmitting data, creating and executing email campaigns, and providing marketing assistance, web analytics and data analysis. We may provide your PII to these operational service providers when the information is necessary for them to perform their duties. We require that our operational service providers protect your privacy and not use your PII in any way that is inconsistent with this Policy including not disclosing to third party marketers that are not associated with Golf Channel. Additionally, we request such providers not to use your PII for their own marketing or promotional purposes.
b. Rewards Program
c. Promotions. Sweepstakes, Contests
Sometimes we send offers to selected groups of customers on behalf of other businesses. If you do not want to receive such offers, please adjust your Profile Preferences. Similarly, we may host a promotion, sweepstakes or contest on the Sites and you may be asked to provide PII in order to enter such promotion, sweepstakes or contest. It will be your choice whether to provide your PII in such scenarios.
- Fulfillment Associates
In the event that you utilize the Sites to process a transaction (e.g., booking a tee time), we must share certain of your PII with the business associates that will fulfill that transaction. In particular, we will share PII with the golf courses (and other fulfillment associates) in order to confirm your reservation. You will be able to tell when a third party fulfillment partner is involved in your transactions. We transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company doing the processing of an order following industry standards governing information protection. Additionally, we may provide a golf course or other fulfillment partner your entire credit card number in order to allow such partner to enforce its cancellation or “no-show” policy. We encourage you to review the information privacy practices any fulfillment associates (e.g., golf courses), you may conduct transactions with through the Sites. You may also receive communications directly from these fulfillment associates. Additionally, in the event you purchase a tee time through the GolfNow technology residing on an affiliate website, GolfNow may be contractually obligated to provide the affiliate with certain of your PII (e.g., email address).
- Protection of ourselves and others
We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; or protect the rights, property, or safety of ourselves or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
4. Third Party Advertising
- Other Countries
The Sites are operated from the United States. However, as a global company, Golf Channel may from time to time transfer your personal information to other countries and make it accessible by any of our affiliate entities and third party service providers internationally. Where the transfer of information is to a country which does not provide an adequate level of information protection, Golf Channel has taken steps to ensure that your personal information receives an appropriate level of information protection. By using the Sites and providing your personal information to us you understand and agree that your personal information may be sent to other countries.
5. Maintaining Your Profile/Opting Out/Data Retention
- Accessing and Updating Information
To access or update the PII that Golf Channel may hold for you, you may access the member information page and follow the instructions for changing your profile, or you may send an email to email@example.com , or the contact noted at Section 11 below, with your request. Please include your email address and indicate the nature of your request or the information you wish to change. In addition, you may delete the cookie stored on your computer, which will cause our system to perceive you as a new user with no known user data. You may also set your browser to reject cookies, but doing so may prevent you from using some of our services. There may be certain instances when Golf Channel may not be able to respond, such as when access would violate the privacy of another individual, when access is prohibited by law, or when the PII has been lawfully obtained from third party sources.
- Opt-Out Policy
You may opt-out of receiving email communications from us by emailing us at:
or writing to us at: Golf Channel, 7580 Golf Channel Drive Orlando, FL 32819, Attn: Webmaster.
In addition, when we contact you via email, we include instructions as to how to unsubscribe from future emails if you so choose.
Please allow sufficient time for us to process your opt-out request.
- Data Retention Golf Channel regularly reviews the data in its possession and discards old or out of date data. User accounts that have been inactive for more than five years are automatically deleted.
6. Mobile Services
When you download a Mobile App from Golf Channel the following terms also apply (in addition to any specific terms included in the pertinent Mobile App):
- What information do the Mobile Apps obtain and how is it used?
This will depend on the particular Mobile App but may include the following:
- Automatically Collected Information: We may collect information about the device you may use to download the Mobile App onto your device, including, where available, the device's unique device identifiers, operating system, browser type and mobile network information as well as the device's telephone number, length of time in the Mobile App, other information about links clicked (if applicable) for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. For more information about information we share with advertisers see below. We may associate device information with information you submit and will treat the combined information as personally identifiable information in accordance with this policy for as long as it is combined.
- Location information: when you use one of our location-enabled services, we may collect and process information about your actual location. Some of these Services require your location information for the feature to work.
- Log information: when you use the Mobile App or view content on our Sites we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs including but not limited to internet protocol (IP) addresses, device information, internet service provider (ISP), clickstream data, browser type and language, viewed and exit pages and date or time stamps.
- Unique Mobile App numbers: when you install or uninstall a Mobile App containing a unique Mobile App number or when such a service searches for automatic updates, that number and information about your installation, for example, the type of operating system, may be sent to us.
- Information you submit through the Mobile Apps: When you register with us and use the Mobile Apps, you generally provide (a) your name, email address, age, user name, password and other registration information; (b) transaction-related information, such as when you make purchases, respond to any offers, or download or use Mobile Apps from us; (c) information you provide us when you contact us for help; (d) credit card information for purchases and/or use of the Mobile Apps, and; (e) information you enter into our system when using the Mobile Apps, such as contact information and project management information. We may also use the information you provided us to contact your from time to time to provide you with important information, required notices and marketing promotions.
- Do Mobile Apps collect precise real time location information of the device?
This depends on the particular Mobile App you download. Where a Mobile App does collect precise information about the location of your device it will be used to provide requested location services, and, depending on the particular App it may be used, amongst other uses to allow tagging or to check-in. Please see inside the Mobile App for information about how to opt out of providing location information or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do we share your information with third parties?
We may share your information with third parties in the ways that are described in this privacy statement subject to any applicable legal restrictions:
We may disclose User Provided and Automatically Collected Information:
- As required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights;
- Protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request;
- With our trusted services providers who work on our behalf, do not have an independent use of the information we disclose to them, and have agreed to adhere to the rules set forth in this privacy statement; and
- If Golf Channel is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, we will provide your information to the other entity; we also may disclose your information in the context of a bankruptcy proceeding to a buyer or other entity; to advertisers and third party advertising networks and analytics companies as described below under the Section entitled Automatic Data Collection and Advertising.
- Automatic Data Collection and Advertising
Some Mobile Apps may be supported via advertising, and collect data to help the Mobile App serve ads. We may work with analytics companies to help us understand how the Mobile Apps are being used, such as the frequency and duration of usage. We may work with advertisers and third party advertising networks, who need to know how you interact with advertising provided in the Mobile Apps which helps us keep the cost of Mobile Apps low or free.
- What are my opt-out rights?
There are multiple opt-out options for users of Mobile Apps:
- Opt-out of all further information collection by uninstalling a Mobile App – You can stop all collection of information by a Mobile App easily by uninstalling the Mobile App. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the Mobile App marketplace or network;
- See inside the Mobile App or contact email@example.com for information about how to Opt-out from the use of information to serve targeted advertising by advertisers and/or third party network advertisers; and
- See inside the Mobile App or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information about how to opt-out from allowing us to have further access to your location data.
- Data Retention Policy, Managing and Accessing, Correcting Your Information
We will retain User Provided Data for as long as you use the Mobile Apps and for a reasonable time thereafter. If you’d like us to delete User Provided Data that you have provided via the Mobile Apps, please contact us at email@example.com and we will respond in a reasonable time. Please note that some or all of the User Provided Data may be required in order for the Mobile Apps to function properly, and we may be required to retain certain information by law.
Where required by law we will provide access to or the opportunity to correct the personal information we collect about you - contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
We do not use the Mobile Apps to knowingly solicit data from or market to children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. We will delete such information from our files within a reasonable time.
We are concerned about safeguarding the confidentiality of your information. We provide physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect information we process and maintain. For example, we limit access to this information to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our Mobile Apps. Please be aware that, although we endeavor to provide reasonable security for information we process and maintain, no security system can prevent all potential security breaches.
- Your Consent
By using the Mobile Apps and providing information to us, you consent to such transfer to, and processing in, the US.
- Contact us
If you have any questions regarding privacy while using the Mobile App, or have questions about our practices, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Cookies and IP Address Information
Additionally, we may use IP address information to count and track aggregate visits to the Sites, to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer the Sites. It is not our policy to link IP addresses to anything personally identifiable; while a particular user’s session can be tracked, the user remains completely anonymous.
No PII is gathered or stored in the cookies used by the Sites and, as a result, none can be passed on to any third parties.
8. Social Media Plug-Ins
Social media plug-ins of social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus (among others) are integrated on the Sites. Where our Sites contain a plug-in to a social network, these are clearly marked (e.g. with a Facebook button). If you chose to click on one of these buttons or links, your browser connects directly to the servers of the relevant social network. The social network directly transmits the content of the plugin to your browser. If you are registered on the relevant social network and logged into your respective account the social network receives the information that the web page was used by you. If you interact with a social network plug-in (e.g. you press the Facebook “Like” –feature, the Twitter “Tweet this” feature and Google plus “1+” button or equivalent) or drop a comment on the appropriate web page, the corresponding information is directly transmitted to the relevant social network from your browser. If you are not registered with the social network or you are logged out before you visit the Sites, there is the possibility that at least your IP address will be submitted to and stored by the social network. If you interact with us through a social media platform, plug-in etc. then you may be permitting us to have on-going access to some limited information from your social network profile (such as name, email address, photo, gender, location, the people/sites you follow etc.).
9. California Privacy Rights
Residents of the State of California may request a list of all third parties to which the Sites have disclosed certain information during the preceding year for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and want such a list, please contact us at: Golf Channel, 7580 Golf Channel Drive, Orlando, FL 32819, Attn: Webmaster.
For all requests, you must put the statement, “Your California Privacy Rights” in the body of your request as well as your name, street address, city, state, and zip code. Please note that we will not accept requests via the telephone, mail, or by facsimile, and we are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or that don’t have complete information.
10. Children’s Privacy
Simply stated, Golf Channel does not knowingly collect PII from children under the age of 13. Golf Channel encourages parents and guardians to go online with their children and be fully familiar with the sites visited by their children. At various places on the Sites or when providing other services, we may ask users for their age. By using the Sites or our services you agree to respond truthfully and accurately about your age. We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information from children under the age of 13. Golf Channel suggests the following to help make a child’s online experience safer:
- Teach children never to give PII (such as name, address, phone number, school, etc.) unless supervised by a parent or responsible adult;
- Know the websites your children are visiting and which websites are appropriate; and
- Look for websites privacy policies. Know how your child’s information is treated.
11. International Users
12. Legal Disclaimers
We may include links to other websites we think may be of interest to you or operated by our business associates, affiliates, advertisers and others. These third parties have separate data collection and privacy practices independent from ours, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit any linked sites. To the extent any linked websites you visit are unrelated to NBCUniversal and Golf Channel, we are not responsible for their policies or activities. Please contact those third parties directly if you have questions about their privacy policies.
- Governing Law and Dispute Resolution
The Sites are published in the United States and are intended for users from the United States. U.S. law and the laws of the State of Florida shall govern any and all disputes, including privacy or defamation lawsuits, without adherence to any conflict of law principles. Please note that we do not represent or warrant that the Sites are appropriate for use in any particular jurisdiction. Your use of the Sites is an acknowledgement of your understanding of these provisions regarding governing law and dispute resolution. Those who choose to access the Sites do so at their own initiative and are responsible for complying with all local laws, rules and regulations.
- Asset Transfers
Though we will make every effort to preserve user privacy, we may need to disclose PII when required by law or if we have a good-faith belief the action is necessary to comply with a pending judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on Golf Channel or to protect our rights or the rights of others, to fight fraud, identity theft, to ensure the integrity and operation of our business and systems, or to protect the rights, property or safety of Golf Channel, its employees, members or others.
13. Contacting Golf Channel
7580 Golf Channel Drive
Orlando, FL 32819
Attn: Legal Department
Or by email at: email@example.com
©2013 Golf Channel. All rights reserved.