Anna Rawson shoots 64 in Canadian Womens Open

By Associated PressSeptember 4, 2009, 2:41 am
PRIDDIS, Alberta – Anna Rawson shot a course-record 7-under 64 on Thursday to take a one-stroke lead over Suzann Pettersen in the Canadian Women’s Open.

Rawson, the 28-year-old Australian who has missed nine cuts in 13 starts this year, had nine birdies and two bogeys to break Dawn Coe-Jones’ course mark by a shot.

Top-ranked Lorena Ochoa, the 2007 winner at Royal Mayfair in Edmonton, was two strokes back along with Amanda Blumenherst, while Michelle Wie opened with a 76.

Anna Rawson Canadian Women
Anna Rawson hits a shot during the first round of the CN Canadian Women's Open. (Getty Images)

Rawson played in ideal morning conditions.

“I really tried today to just stay in the moment,” she said. “I’m so good at getting ahead of myself and saying, `Oh, if I get to 3, if I get to 4, if I get to 5 under.’ So I just didn’t even think about it.”

It’s the kind of approach that would make Kevin Sverduk proud.

The sports psychologist from Long Beach, Calif., started working with Rawson over the summer and has emphasized the importance of staying focused on the task at hand.

Rawson, a part-time model, confessed that she recently considered quitting golf, something she even withheld from her psychologist for a month.

“I think this year has just been terrible mentally,” Rawson said. “Like I’ve just had the worst head that you could ever imagine.

“I don’t even want to tell you what’s been going through my head – it’s that bad. I thought about everything that I shouldn’t. I really haven’t hit the ball that bad. I just haven’t been here. I haven’t been enjoying it.”

Ochoa had a bogey-free round.

“I’m really happy with that,” Ochoa said. “It was important to get started in the right direction. I like my position.”

Pettersen, coming off a playoff loss to M.J. Hur last week in the Safeway Classic in Oregon, also had a bogey-free round – win windy afternoon conditions.

Related Content

  • Player: Anna Rawson
  • Event: CN Canadian Women's Open
  • Tour: LPGA

“Very, very tough because the wind is so gusty and it’s swirling,” Pettersen said. “Sometimes you think it’s down and then it’s dead into you, and then it’s off the right and off the left. So you have to try to control the trajectory, which I’m doing really well right now.”

Wie was even par – two birdies and two bogeys – through seven holes, then bogeyed six of the final 11 holes in her afternoon round. She tied for fourth last week at Pumpkin Ridge after going 3-0-1 in the United States’ Solheim Cup victory over Europe.

Katherine Hull, the winner last year at Ottawa Hunt, shot a 73.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.