Atwals PGA Tour win hailed in India

By Associated PressAugust 23, 2010, 4:30 pm
NEW DELHI – Arjun Atwal did more than win a golf tournament. He may well have changed how the sport is regarded in India.

“Undoubtedly the biggest thing to happen to Indian golf,” said Gaurav Ghei, who in 1997 became the first Indian to qualify for the British Open. “An achievement that most of us never even dreamt of.”

Atwal captured the Wyndham Championship in Greensboro, N.C., by one stroke Sunday. He is India’s first PGA Tour winner and the first Monday qualifier to win on the Tour in 24 years.

Atwal, plagued with injuries the last year, finished at 20-under 260 to win by one stroke. He led by three shots entering the final round.

He made $918,000 – more than double what he previously earned this year. The victory allows him to play on the PGA Tour for two years.

The last qualifier to win on the Tour was Fred Wadsworth at the 1986 Southern Open. Atwal had to play his way into the Wyndham after losing his Tour card last month because he was too low on the money list when his medical exemption ran out. He had injured his shoulders weightlifting.

“I do remember Atwal saying that he wanted to win on the PGA Tour,” said Ghei, who has three Asian Tour titles since turning pro in 1991. “Hats off to him for sticking it out in the U.S. on his own and doing it. It was a proud moment to see the Indian flag flying high. I hope this acts as a springboard for the game here.”

Brandon De Souza, who has organized most of the golf tournaments in India the past two decades, called it a conquest of the “last frontier.”

“Indians had already won on the Asian, European and Japanese tours, but this is a new high,” De Souza said. “I hope the government and sponsors realize the enormity of this achievement and think beyond cricket.”

Atwal’s long climb extended beyond the golf course. Three years ago, a driver trying to race him down a street in Orlando Fla., died in a crash. Atwal was cleared of wrongdoing, but the yearlong investigation exacted took a toll.

Gaganjeet Bhullar, a promising 22-year-old player on the Asian Tour, suspects the face of Indian golf is likely to shift with Atwal’s victory. He thinks the victory might result in more player exemptions.

“It could change the careers of Indian golfers and the way we look at the game,” he said. “With Indians doing well on other circuits, it was long overdue and comes as a welcome relief for us. I saw the match live on television and was thrilled at the way he managed a par on the last hole.”

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.