Bourdy takes 2-stroke lead at Hong Kong Open

By Associated PressNovember 14, 2009, 10:30 am

HONG KONG (AP)—Gregory Bourdy of France shot a bogey-free 7-under 63 onSaturday to take the lead heading into the final round of the $2.5 million HongKong Open.

Robert-Jan Derksen of the Netherlands was the only one of the three otherovernight leaders to keep pace with Bourdy, shooting a 5 under to stay withintwo strokes after the third round.

Bourdy, a two-time winner on the European Tour, maintained his form fromFriday, making four birdies on the front nine and three on the back nine for a16-under 194.

Rory McIlroy of Northern Irela…
AP - Nov 14, 4:44 am EST

Now No. 87 on the European Tour money list, the Frenchman boosted hischances to qualify for the $7.5 million year-end championship in Dubai nextweek, which is limited to the top 60 money earners after Hong Kong.

“It is my last chance to get into Dubai, last chance to win and I amleading by two, so I will do my best tomorrow to win,” said Bourdy, whodescribed his 63 as one of the best rounds of his career. “I hit a lot ofgreens and that has been the key the last three rounds. I have been veryconsistent with my irons and my putting was unbelievable.”

Rising star Rory McIlroy shot a 65 to sit five strokes off the pace andbolster his bid to win the European Tour money title despite a seesawing daythat saw him make a double bogey, a bogey, six birdies and an eagle. The20-year-old from Northern Ireland is No. 2 on the money race behind England’sLee Westwood .

McIlroy, who lost a playoff to Taiwan’s Lin Wen-tang last year, said he washappy with the way he recovered from the double bogey.

“I knew I was hitting it well and putting well, and it was a matter ofgiving myself chances again,” he said. “Maybe a couple of years ago aftermaking double I would have been a bit flustered … When people ask about thedifference between turning pro and now, the answer is experience.”

Two-time Hong Kong champion Miguel Angel Jimenez of Spain briefly enjoyedthe clubhouse lead with a 7 under, before moving into fourth with an overall 10under with Lin (67), Ireland’s Peter Lawrie (66) and Italian Francesco Molinari (66).

U.S. PGA Championship winner Y.E. Yang had a double bogey and two bogeysbefore recovered to a 1-under 69. The South Korean shared 10th at 202 in a groupthat included with England’s Ian Poulter (68) and overnight co-leader CharlSchwartzel of South Africa (71).

The fourth overnight leader, China’s Liang Wenchong, also faded, shootingfour bogeys for a 2-over 72 and was in a group another shot back.

Westwood, who is playing in Hong Kong for the first time, has complainedabout having a hard time getting used to the course at the Hong Kong Golf Clubin Fanling and continued to struggle on Saturday, shooting three bogeys en routeto a 1-under 69 that put him at 205.

Eight-time European Tour Order of Merit winner Colin Montgomerie shot a3-under 67 and was also at 5 under.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.