Brackets Shaping Up for WGC - Match Play

By Associated PressFebruary 16, 2004, 5:00 pm
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- Tiger Woods might get another crack at Rich Beem, this time in the Match Play Championship.
 
Rich BeemWoods' four straight birdies left him one shot short of catching Beem in the 2002 PGA Championship. Now they probably will meet in the first round at the World Golf Championship event, which begins Feb. 25 at La Costa Resort in Carlsbad.
 
The world ranking published Monday determines the 64-man field for the Match Play Championship. Beem, winless since his surprising victory at Hazeltine, dropped from No. 50 to No. 64 and barely qualified for the $7 million tournament.
 
Current Match Play Bracket
 
Players have until Friday to decide if they will play. Woods, the No. 1 seed every year since the Accenture Match Play Championship began in 1999, and Fred Couples are the only players who have not formally committed.
 
The brackets will not be final until Feb. 23.

The big winners Sunday were Brian Davis of England and Duffy Waldorf.
 
Davis won the ANZ Championship in Australia and moved from No. 71 to No. 54. Waldorf birdied the 72nd hole at the Buick Invitational and tied for fourth, moving him from No. 67 to No. 56.
 
Briny Baird and Shingo Katayama dropped out of the top 64. They would be next in line if anyone decides not to play or has to withdraw.
 
Woods won last year with his best performance of the season, defeating David Toms in the 36-hole final to become the only player to sweep the four World Golf Championships.
 
Unlike other sports involving seeds, anything goes at the Match Play Championship.
 
Woods is the only player seeded in the top 10 to have won the tournament. Two years ago, he was knocked out in the first round by unheralded Peter O'Malley of Australia.
 
Vijay Singh, who has moved closer to Woods in the ranking than anyone in the last five years, is the No. 2 seed and likely will play John Huston, a dangerous player in this format because he makes so many birdies.
 
Ernie Els is at No. 3 and would play resurgent Lee Westwood of England, while Davis Love III is No. 4 and would play Jeff Sluman.
 
Els had said he might skip the Match Play Championship to avoid traveling from South Africa to California for what could amount to one match. He plays the following week in Dubai.
 
But the Big Easy said on his Web site last week that he planned to play.
 
If no one withdraws, one of the more intriguing first-round matches would be Charles Howell III (No. 29) against Sergio Garcia (No. 36). They met in the second round two years ago, with Garcia winning 1-up.
 
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Getty Images

Woods favored to miss Farmers Insurance Open cut

By Will GrayJanuary 24, 2018, 1:54 am

If the Las Vegas bookmakers are to be believed, folks in the San Diego area hoping to see Tiger Woods this week might want to head to Torrey Pines early.

Woods is making his first competitive start of the year this week at the Farmers Insurance Open, and it will be his first official start on the PGA Tour since last year's event. He missed nearly all of 2017 because of a back injury before returning with a T-9 finish last month at the Hero World Challenge.

But the South Course at Torrey Pines is a far different test than Albany, and the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook lists Woods as a -180 favorite to miss the 36-hole cut. It means bettors must wager $180 to win $100, while his +150 odds to make the cut mean a bettor can win $150 with a $100 wager.

Woods is listed at 25/1 to win. He won the tournament for the seventh time in 2013, but in three appearances since he has missed the 36-hole cut, missed the 54-hole cut and withdrawn after 12 holes.

Here's a look at the various Woods-related prop bets available at the Westgate:

Will Woods make the 36-hole cut? Yes +150, No -180

Lowest single-round score (both courses par 72): Over/Under 70

Highest single-round score: Over/Under 74.5

Will Woods finish inside the top 10? Yes +350, No -450

Will Woods finish inside the top 20? Yes +170, No -200

Will Woods withdraw during the tournament? Yes +650, No -1000

Getty Images

Monahan buoyed by Tour's sponsor agreements

By Rex HoggardJanuary 24, 2018, 12:27 am

SAN DIEGO – Farmers Insurance announced on Tuesday at Torrey Pines a seven-year extension of the company’s sponsorship of the Southern California PGA Tour event. This comes on the heels of Sony extending its sponsorship of the year’s first full-field event in Hawaii through 2022.

Although these might seem to be relatively predictable moves, considering the drastic makeover of the Tour schedule that will begin with the 2018-19 season, it is a telling sign of the confidence corporations have in professional golf.

“It’s a compliment to our players and the value that the sponsors are achieving,” Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.

Monahan said that before 2014 there were no 10-year title sponsorship agreements in place. Now there are seven events sponsored for 10-years, and another five tournaments that have agreements in place of at least seven years.

“What it means is, it gives organizations like the Century Club [which hosts this week’s Farmers Insurance Open], when you have that level of stability on a long-term basis that allows you to invest in your product, to grow interest and to grow the impact of it,” Monahan said. “You experienced what this was like in 2010 or seen other tournaments that you don’t know what the future is.S o to go out and sell and inspire a community and you can’t state that we have a long-term agreement it’s more difficult.”

Events like this year’s Houston Open, Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas, and The National all currently don’t have title sponsors – although officials at Colonial are confident they can piece together a sponsorship package. But even that is encouraging to Monahan considering the uncertainty surrounding next season’s schedule, which will include the PGA Championship moving to May and The Players to March as well as a pre-Labor Day finish to the season.

“When you look back historically to any given year [the number of events needing sponsors] is lower than the typical average,” Monahan said. “As we start looking to a new schedule next year, you get excited about a great schedule with a great group of partners.”

Getty Images

Day WDs from Farmers pro-am because of sore back

By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 24, 2018, 12:07 am

SAN DIEGO – Jason Day has withdrawn from the Wednesday pro-am at the Farmers Insurance Open, citing a sore back.

Day, the 2015 champion, played a practice round with Tiger Woods and Bryson DeChambeau on Tuesday at Torrey Pines, and he is still expected to play in the tournament.

Day was replaced in the pro-am by Whee Kim. 

Making his first start since the Australian Open in November, Day is scheduled to tee off at 1:30 p.m. ET Thursday alongside Jon Rahm and Brandt Snedeker.

Getty Images

Farmers inks 7-year extension through 2026

By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 24, 2018, 12:04 am

SAN DIEGO – Farmers Insurance has signed a seven-year extension to serve as the title sponsor for the PGA Tour event at Torrey Pines, it was announced Tuesday. The deal will run through 2026.

“Farmers Insurance has been incredibly supportive of the tournament and the Century Club’s charitable initiatives since first committing to become the title sponsor in 2010,” PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.


Farmers Insurance Open: Articles, photos and videos


“We are extremely grateful for the strong support of Farmers and its active role as title sponsor, and we are excited by the commitment Farmers has made to continue sponsorship of the Farmers Insurance Open for an additional seven years.

In partnership with Farmers, the Century Club – the tournament’s host organization – has contributed more than $20 million to deserving organizations benefiting at-risk youth since 2010.