Colin Montgomerie distracted by Sandy Lyles comments

By Associated PressJuly 17, 2009, 4:00 pm
135th Open Championship TURNBERRY, Scotland ' Looks like Sandy Lyle can forget about being vice captain at the Ryder Cup.
 
On the fifth day of a spat between Scotlands best two players of their generation, Colin Montgomerie said Friday he has been distracted this week at the British Open since Lyle brought up a cheating accusation earlier in the week.
 
Very much so, yes, Montgomerie said after a 4-over 74 made it likely he would miss the cut. I thought that it was rather amusing when he said he hoped it doesnt jeopardize his vice captaincy position. I thought it was very, very funny.
 
Montgomerie was named Ryder Cup captain earlier this year, even after he recommended Lyle for the job. He was expected to have Lyle, a two-time major champion, be his top assistant at the 2010 matches in Wales.
 
Colin Montgomerie
Colin Montgomerie hangs his head during his second-round 74. (Getty Images)
That was before Lyle brought up the cheating allegations from the Indonesian Open in Jakarta four years ago.
 
Television replays clearly show Montgomerie replacing his ball in a better lie after a rain delay. The tournament committee cleared him of wrongdoing, although Monty donated his earnings to charity.
 
Lyle was speaking to three British newspapers, who asked him if he thought his Ryder Cup captaincy bid was derailed by walking off the course at Royal Birkdale last year.
 
Thats when Lyle said it shouldnt have, since Montgomerie managed to get picked despite the Jakarta incident. He referred to the drop as a form of cheating.
 
Each time Lyle has tried to explain himself, he has added fodder for British media. Friday was no exception.
 
Its been taken probably a little out of context, Lyle said after a 73 to finish at 8-over 148. I have never, ever tried to sort of stir the pot. I hope he goes out and shoots about a 67 and all will be forgotten.
 
Even so, Lyle said he did not regret his comments.
 
Im not fabricating anything. Its all been dealt with over the last so many months and years about what happened in Jakarta, Lyle told BBC TV. Im just going about my business and sometimes I have to just protect myself as well. I was hassled a lot from the press about the jeopardy of the captaincy of the Ryder Cup, was my walking off the golf course putting me in trouble.
 
Monty wasnt exactly squeaky clean, was he? Hes had his troubles as well.
 
Lyle said that he was reluctant to say any more about the conflict with Montgomerie, who has won a record eight Order of Merit titles.
 
I feel sorry for Colin in some ways because I dont really want to keep stirring the pan and I keep opening my mouth and keep making the back pages, Lyle said. I think we have to call it an end and deal with it behind the scenes.
 
Lyle was asked whether it was bad judgment in the circumstances to refer to Montgomerie on Thursday as a drama queen.
 
Hes an emotional sort of person and gets a bit hot under the collar and I suppose with comments like this and the papers it doesnt help, Lyle said. But hell get over it. Hes a big enough boy and hell go out there and play golf and I hope he shoots 68 today.
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage - The 138th Open Championship
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.