Couples a shot off the pace in Newport Beach

By Associated PressMarch 6, 2010, 7:11 am
Champions Tour

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – Bob Tway, Chein Soon Lu and Mark Wiebe shot 6-under 65s on Friday to share the first-round lead in the Toshiba Classic, leaving Champions Tour newcomer Fred Couples a stroke back at Newport Beach Country Club.

Olin Browne, Lonnie Nielsen and Mike Goodes matched Couples at 66, and defending champion Eduardo Romero was another stroke back along with Tom Lehman, Loren Roberts, Wayne Levi, Ronnie Black, D.A. Weibring, Bobby Wadkins and Gary Hallberg.

Wiebe, bothered by a head cold, had his first bogey-free round of the season, making five birdies on his first nine holes – the back nine

“I didn’t know it was bogey-free until my caddie told me on the last hole after I picked my ball out of the cup,” Wiebe said. “I had no idea, which kind of tells me that my head was in the right place.”

Tway missed from a foot on No. 11 for his lone bogey.

“I hit a very good second shot and I hit my first putt about a foot by,” Tway said. “It was kind of in a footprint and I missed about a foot putt, so that was disappointing.”

Wiebe was thrilled with his round, especially the way he was feeling.

“Your expectations are pretty low when you don’t feel well,” Wiebe said. “I thought if I can just focus and keep my focus it was be great.”

Wiebe had 12 one-putt greens and only 24 putts overall.

“I putted really well,” Wiebe said. “I had a great feel with my putting. The pace was really good. I didn’t let anything good, get too far away from me.”

Lu has conditional status on the Champions Tour and earned a spot in the field with a top-10 finish – a ninth-place tie – two weeks ago in the Allianz Championship.

It was Tway’s first competitive round on the course.

“You kind of get to know it,” said Tway, who played one practice round and two pro-am rounds. “I had a couple of local guys, members here in the pro-ams. They helped me a little bit about some of the breaks, the tendencies, so that was good.”

Couples is making his third Champions Tour start. He won the ACE Group Classic on Feb. 14 in Naples, Fla., and finished second behind Tom Watson in the season-opening event in Hawaii. Couples tied for 14th last week in the PGA Tour’s Phoenix Open.

The long-hitting Couples, leading the tour’s driving distance stats at 300.2 yards, overpowered the 6,584-yard course. He used driver on every par 4 and 5 except two holes and had nothing more than a 9-iron for his second shot.

“I hit a wedge on my first hole,” Couples said. “I made a 20-footer, which was a great start. … I feel good about the round. I probably couldn’t have gotten much more out of it.”

Wiebe was just happy to get through his round.

“When I made my last putt I looked at my caddie, he said, ‘Nice playing,”’ Wiebe said. “I said, ‘I’m glad it’s over. I want to go lay down.”’

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.