Creamer shares lead at US Womens Open

By Associated PressJuly 10, 2010, 11:21 pm

2010 U.S. Women

OAKMONT, Pa.– Maybe Paula Creamer discovered the secret to playing Oakmont Country Club. Don’t practice as much as usual so as not to get discouraged by the course’s renowned toughness.

Creamer had the only sub-par round of the day to tie Sakura Yokomine for the lead as the rain-delayed second round of the U.S. Women’s Open concluded Saturday.

Creamer played all but two holes of her 1-under 70 on Saturday, while Yokomine finished up her second straight 71 by playing 15 holes. Both were set to begin the third round later Saturday.

Yokomine and Creamer were one shot ahead of LPGA Championship winner Cristie Kerr and Brittany Lang, both of whom finished their second rounds before heavy rains halted play Friday.

Christina Kim, who also finished up Friday, Sophie Gustafson and Suzann Pettersen were two shots off the lead.

While the rain made 108-year-old Oakmont softer, it didn’t make it easier. Of the nearly 100 golfers who finished up their rounds Saturday, only Creamer made it into the red numbers on the scoreboard.

“The bunkers were fine,” Creamer said. “I know they were all under water (Friday). I was in a lot of ‘em and they were all pretty good.”

Creamer finished sixth in each of the last two U.S. Women’s Opens but has played in only three LPGA tournaments this year because of a stretched ligament in her left thumb. The injury is painful and often forces her to hit most or all of her practice shots off a tee to avoid the constant jarring that occurs when a golf club strikes the ground.

“I may not hit as many (practice) balls just to save my thumb,” Creamer said, referring to her preparation for the third round.

Creamer had three birdies in four holes to finish up her front nine, but immediately gave two shots back with a poor drive on the 440-yard, par 4 10th hole that led to a double bogey. She also bogeyed the 602-yard, par 5 12th but rallied with birdies on No. 13 and No. 17.

“I came back strong from that (double bogey),” Creamer said.

Yakomine hasn’t finished better than a ninth-place tie in any LPGA Tour event but qualified for the U.S. Women’s Open by being the leading money winner last year on the Japan LPGA Tour.

With Oakmont’s treacherously fast greens slowed a bit by Friday’s rain, Yakomine took advantage by dropping a 45-foot birdie putt on the par 4 14th.

“The greens were pretty good – the ball stopped,” she said.

Those at or near the top of the leaderboard weren’t scheduled to begin the third round until late afternoon, meaning they would play until darkness halted play and finish up the round Sunday morning.

Kerr, Lang and Kim were among those who will play only 12 holes or fewer Saturday, compared to 36 for some golfers who hadn’t begun their rounds when play was suspended Friday.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.