Defending Champ Curtis Misses Cut

By Associated PressJuly 16, 2004, 4:00 pm
TROON, Scotland -- Hardly anyone knew Ben Curtis when he won the British Open a year ago.
 
And few noticed his early exit Friday from Royal Troon.
 
Curtis shot 74 in the second round to miss the cut by four shots, joining a long line of former champions who won't be around this weekend.
 
'It just didn't seem like I got any good breaks this week,' said Curtis, who became the first defending champion to miss the cut since Paul Lawrie - another long shot - four years ago at St. Andrews.
 
'That's just the way it goes. There's always next year, next time around and next week.'
 
Curtis played with three-time British Open champion Nick Faldo, who will celebrate his 47th birthday on Sunday somewhere other than Royal Troon. Faldo shot 77, done in by two double bogeys on the back nine.
 
Asked if he was disappointed, Faldo snapped back: 'Are you kidding? It's eating me up.'
 
Two-time champion Greg Norman bowed out with 73-76, the first time in 24 years he missed the British Open cut.
 
'From my perspective, my putting was just very, very pathetic - and everything else,' said the 49-year-old Australian. 'I just couldn't get anything going. End of story.'
 
Former U.S. Open champion Jim Furyk, who tied for fourth at Royal Troon in 1997, missed the cut for the fourth straight year at the British Open.
 
And then there's Chad Campbell.
 
Considered one of rising stars on the PGA Tour, Campbell dropped three shots on the back nine to miss the cut by one. The 30-year-old Texan has missed the cut in every major this year, the last two by one stroke.
 
Other former British Open winners on the way home included Tom Lehman ('96), John Daly ('95), and 61-year-old Tom Weiskopf, who won his only major 31 years ago at Troon but shot back-to-back 80s.
 
Padraig Harrington, the strongest hope for Europe, bogeyed the last two holes to miss the cut by one shot. Sergio Garcia needed a birdie on the last hole, but instead took double bogey and will not play on the weekend. That ends a streak of three straight top 10s in the British Open.
 
With double points available at a major, the cut became crucial for some Ryder Cup hopefuls.
 
Steve Flesch, No. 8 in the U.S. standings, eagled the 16th hole and made the cut on the number with a 70. Jerry Kelly (No. 11) also made the cut at 145, while the next four players - Jay Haas, Tim Herron, Chris Riley and Jonathan Kaye - won't be around to collect precious points.
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard - 133rd Open Championship
  • TV Airtimes

  • British Open Photo Gallery

  • Full Coverage - 133rd Open Championship
     
    Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Getty Images

    Woods favored to miss Farmers Insurance Open cut

    By Will GrayJanuary 24, 2018, 1:54 am

    If the Las Vegas bookmakers are to be believed, folks in the San Diego area hoping to see Tiger Woods this week might want to head to Torrey Pines early.

    Woods is making his first competitive start of the year this week at the Farmers Insurance Open, and it will be his first official start on the PGA Tour since last year's event. He missed nearly all of 2017 because of a back injury before returning with a T-9 finish last month at the Hero World Challenge.

    But the South Course at Torrey Pines is a far different test than Albany, and the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook lists Woods as a -180 favorite to miss the 36-hole cut. It means bettors must wager $180 to win $100, while his +150 odds to make the cut mean a bettor can win $150 with a $100 wager.

    Woods is listed at 25/1 to win. He won the tournament for the seventh time in 2013, but in three appearances since he has missed the 36-hole cut, missed the 54-hole cut and withdrawn after 12 holes.

    Here's a look at the various Woods-related prop bets available at the Westgate:

    Will Woods make the 36-hole cut? Yes +150, No -180

    Lowest single-round score (both courses par 72): Over/Under 70

    Highest single-round score: Over/Under 74.5

    Will Woods finish inside the top 10? Yes +350, No -450

    Will Woods finish inside the top 20? Yes +170, No -200

    Will Woods withdraw during the tournament? Yes +650, No -1000

    Getty Images

    Monahan buoyed by Tour's sponsor agreements

    By Rex HoggardJanuary 24, 2018, 12:27 am

    SAN DIEGO – Farmers Insurance announced on Tuesday at Torrey Pines a seven-year extension of the company’s sponsorship of the Southern California PGA Tour event. This comes on the heels of Sony extending its sponsorship of the year’s first full-field event in Hawaii through 2022.

    Although these might seem to be relatively predictable moves, considering the drastic makeover of the Tour schedule that will begin with the 2018-19 season, it is a telling sign of the confidence corporations have in professional golf.

    “It’s a compliment to our players and the value that the sponsors are achieving,” Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.

    Monahan said that before 2014 there were no 10-year title sponsorship agreements in place. Now there are seven events sponsored for 10-years, and another five tournaments that have agreements in place of at least seven years.

    “What it means is, it gives organizations like the Century Club [which hosts this week’s Farmers Insurance Open], when you have that level of stability on a long-term basis that allows you to invest in your product, to grow interest and to grow the impact of it,” Monahan said. “You experienced what this was like in 2010 or seen other tournaments that you don’t know what the future is.S o to go out and sell and inspire a community and you can’t state that we have a long-term agreement it’s more difficult.”

    Events like this year’s Houston Open, Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas, and The National all currently don’t have title sponsors – although officials at Colonial are confident they can piece together a sponsorship package. But even that is encouraging to Monahan considering the uncertainty surrounding next season’s schedule, which will include the PGA Championship moving to May and The Players to March as well as a pre-Labor Day finish to the season.

    “When you look back historically to any given year [the number of events needing sponsors] is lower than the typical average,” Monahan said. “As we start looking to a new schedule next year, you get excited about a great schedule with a great group of partners.”

    Getty Images

    Day WDs from Farmers pro-am because of sore back

    By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 24, 2018, 12:07 am

    SAN DIEGO – Jason Day has withdrawn from the Wednesday pro-am at the Farmers Insurance Open, citing a sore back.

    Day, the 2015 champion, played a practice round with Tiger Woods and Bryson DeChambeau on Tuesday at Torrey Pines, and he is still expected to play in the tournament.

    Day was replaced in the pro-am by Whee Kim. 

    Making his first start since the Australian Open in November, Day is scheduled to tee off at 1:30 p.m. ET Thursday alongside Jon Rahm and Brandt Snedeker.

    Getty Images

    Farmers inks 7-year extension through 2026

    By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 24, 2018, 12:04 am

    SAN DIEGO – Farmers Insurance has signed a seven-year extension to serve as the title sponsor for the PGA Tour event at Torrey Pines, it was announced Tuesday. The deal will run through 2026.

    “Farmers Insurance has been incredibly supportive of the tournament and the Century Club’s charitable initiatives since first committing to become the title sponsor in 2010,” PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.


    Farmers Insurance Open: Articles, photos and videos


    “We are extremely grateful for the strong support of Farmers and its active role as title sponsor, and we are excited by the commitment Farmers has made to continue sponsorship of the Farmers Insurance Open for an additional seven years.

    In partnership with Farmers, the Century Club – the tournament’s host organization – has contributed more than $20 million to deserving organizations benefiting at-risk youth since 2010.