Despite bogey at 18, Watson 2 off Aussie PGA pace

By Associated PressNovember 25, 2011, 3:20 am

COOLUM, Australia – Bubba Watson trailed European Tour regular Marcus Fraser by two strokes after the second round of the Australian PGA.

Fraser, who had career-threatening neck surgery in January, shot a 7-under-par 65 Friday. The Australian had a bogey-free round on the Hyatt Regency resort course, saving par with a 20-foot putt on 17. He had a two-round total of 11-under 133.

Watson was in the lead for much of the day, but a three-putt bogey on 18 left him with a 68.

K.T. Kim (67) was in third, three behind. Y.E. Yang (68) and three Australians – John Senden, whose 64 included a hole-in-one on the second hole, Adam Scott (67) and Robert Allenby (68) – were tied for fourth, four behind Fraser.

“You have to be patient on this course, and if you start to short-side yourself, you have to work pretty hard to make par,” Fraser said. “That’s what happened on 17.

“We all know the quality of the field, and it’s probably the best week of the year we have. So we’ll give it a shot and see how it goes.”

That field includes Australians Jason Day (69) and Stuart Appleby (68), both in a group tied for eighth, five behind.

First-round co-leader Steven Bowditch shot 73 and was six behind, while Geoff Ogilvy and Greg Norman, each with 69s, were another stroke back.

British Open champion Darren Clarke and American Ricky Fowler, making his Australian pro debut after winning the world amateur championship in Adelaide in 2008, had 73s, leaving them in a group nine strokes behind Fraser. Defending champion Peter Senior shot 73 and was at 1 under, just one shot inside the cut of even-par 144.

Fraser said he had a disc prolapse in his neck, an injury exacerbated when he picked up his 2-year-old son, Archie, at the Australian Open last year. A Melbourne specialist did the surgery.

“At one point I had lost pretty much all of the use of my right arm towards the end of last year and start of this year,” he said. “It was quite painful. I was on a lot of medication to try and get the pain down.

“They got rid of the old disc, put in a new synthetic disc, put a carbon fibre cage in around that, and a metal plate, so it was pretty full on. If I hadn’t had the operation there was no way I would have played again, so it was a pretty easy decision to make.”

Yang, the 2009 U.S. PGA winner, said his experience on the slick Royal Melbourne greens at the Presidents Cup helped him prepare for this tournament.

“It’s a little bit easier,” Yang said. “It was good prep from last week to get ready for this week. There are some shorter holes I need to play well on my wedge and my 9-iron.”

He’s sees some room for improvement on the weekend.

“I had a double bogey on each round, so considering the fact that I didn’t really have a clean sheet, I think it’s satisfactory,” Yang said. “I think I can build on this, but I’m going to take whatever the golf course gives me right now.”

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.