Diaz shoots 62, leads Marathon by four

By Associated PressJuly 17, 2014, 11:01 pm

SYLVANIA, Ohio – Laura Diaz got off to a surprising start at the Marathon Classic.

Diaz shot a 9-under 62 for a four-stroke lead in Thursday's opening round.

U.S. Open champion Michelle Wie shot a 2-over 73, 2008 Marathon winner Paula Creamer was at 72 along with another perennial contender at Highland Meadows, Morgan Pressel.

The defending champion, Spain's Beatriz Recari, and the world's No. 1-ranked player, Stacy Lewis, a Toledo native, were well down the list at 1 under.

''I definitely didn't have my best out there,'' Lewis said.

Diaz sure did.

''I'm very happy to shoot 62; I would be lying if I said I wasn't,'' she said. ''It's nice to get a good feeling after round one. To see the ball going in the hole, I think that's always a boost.''



Despite being winless in the past 12 years on the LPGA Tour, she stunned the field by birdieing her first five holes in a round that included nine birdies and no bogeys. She made a 30-footer on her fifth hole, the 14th. Then she stepped back and enjoyed the moment.

''I kind of chuckled to myself - well, out loud,'' she said.

She had a chance at tying her career best of six consecutive birdies, but missed a 7-footer on the next hole. She added four more birdies the rest of the way to grab the big lead.

Diaz, who won twice in 2002 and played on four U.S. Solheim Cup teams, has cut back on her competitive schedule in recent years while raising her two young children with her husband, Kevin Diaz.

She hasn't finished inside the top 25 in a tour event since 2010. But she has regained a bit of her touch the past two outings, tying for 49th at the U.S. Women's Open at Pinehurst and then tying for 64th in Arkansas the following week. She then took off a few weeks to stay at home, watching her 8-year-old son Cooper's swim meets.

Daughter Lily, 4, hit the road with mom this week.

''I've been playing better this year than I've played in the last four years, but I'm still not where I would like to be,'' she said. ''But it's going in the right direction.''

Sharing second were second-year pro out of LSU Austin Ernst and Lee-Ann Pace, a South African who has won eight times on the Ladies European Tour.

Leading the group of six players at 67 were Mo Martin and Lydia Ko.

Martin stole the show at last week's Women's British Open by capturing her first victory.

She is still basking in the afterglow of that momentous win.

''I'm pretty tired and it still kind of feels like a dream,'' she said. ''I was joking around with the trainers, saying, 'Can you massage here? Because my face hurts a little bit from smiling.'''

Ko is a two-time winner of the Canadian Women's Open while an amateur who has already notched her first pro win this year on tour.

Joining Martin and Ko at 4 under were Katie Burnett, Mariajo Uribe, Lindsey Wright and Marissa Steen.

At 68 were 2012 Marathon winner So Yeon Ryu, Ai Miayazato, Julieta Granada, Ohio State grad Emma Jandel, Kelly Tan, Rebecca Lee-Bentham and Paola Moreno.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.