First Round Washed Out at Castle Pines

By Associated PressAugust 4, 2005, 4:00 pm
2005 The INTERNATIONALCASTLE ROCK, Colo. -- As sure as the ball will fly 10 percent farther at altitude, the International will be delayed by rain.
 
For the 20th straight year, weather delayed the PGA Tour's only stop in Colorado. Heavy, persistent rain wiped out play Thursday, meaning the tournament will begin Friday, when the forecast calls for a 30 percent chance of rain.
 
The International
Castle Pines course workers were up to their knees in water Thursday.
Thus the tournament was added to a long list of weather problems on the tour this season. This is the 15th tournament to be disrupted by rain, but the first day to be completely washed out since the BellSouth Classic in April.
 
PGA Tour officials said they would try to get the first round in Friday, then determine the rest of the schedule depending on how things go.
 
The PGA Championship is next week. Most players want to be at that venue to begin practicing Monday, but PGA Tour official Slugger White said the Tour would not make any decisions based on the season's final major.
 
'The International is our main concern and that's what we deal with,' White said. 'If Monday is part of it, then that's where we're going.'
 
As part of it's unique scoring system, the International cuts its field to 36 players for the final round. With the limited field, there's a decent chance of completing the tournament on Sunday even with an entire day lost.
 
But afternoon thunderstorms are the norm in Colorado and there's at least a chance the tournament would finish on a Monday for the first time, which could
force some players to change plans for next week.
 
'My guess would be if a player makes it to the fourth round and it goes to Monday, no one's going to jump ship,' Brad Faxon said. 'That's payday.'
 
When players do tee it up, they'll be on a soggy course, which may ify some of the distance gains they get from playing at 6,300 feet.
 
On Thursday, bunkers filled with water, water pooled on the 18th green and on numerous low spots around the course. Ducks could be seen swimming across a little stream created by the rain on the ninth fairway.
 
Through noon Thursday, Castle Rock had received 2.27 inches over the previous 24 hours.
 
'The guys who hit it high and long will have an advantage, for sure,' David Toms said.
 
The International is the only tournament on tour that uses the modified Stableford scoring system, one that awards five points for eagles, two for birdies, nothing for pars and deducts a point for bogeys. It's a system that rewards aggressiveness, especially on holes like the 498-yard, par-5 17th, where last year's champion, Rod Pampling, made eagle en route to his first PGA Tour win.
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage - The International
     
    Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.