Five ... and Counting?

By Associated PressJuly 23, 2011, 10:26 pm

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Bo Van Pelt held his finish after a perfect iron shot into the 18th green, lowering the club in time to acknowledge the generous applause after his ball stopped five feet below the hole.

Another great drive. Another great approach shot.

It had become ho-hum stuff for Van Pelt in the third round of the RBC Canadian Open on Saturday.

Van Pelt birdied four of his last five holes, including the final two, to finish with a 65 and a one-stroke lead.

“If you are hitting every fairway and green after nine holes there is no way you should be over par,” Van Pelt said of his 1 over front nine.

Canadian Adam Hadwin, playing on a sponsor’s exemption, missed a 12-foot birdie putt on 18 to finish with a 68, and sit alone in second at 4-under 206.

Andres Romero (67) and first-round leader Kris Blanks (69) are tied for third, two shots back, after another tough day in the thick rough along the tight, tree-lined Shaugnessy Golf and Country Club.

John Daly, who four-putted No. 18 for triple-bogey Friday, shot 67 and is in a group of four at 2 under with Sean O Hair (66), Aron Price (69), and Geoff Ogilvy (70) heading into Sunday’s final round.

Van Pelt, who had five-straight top-15 finishes before tying for 57th at last week’s British Open, was 1-over at the turn and mad at himself for leaving strokes on the course with poor putting. He hit every green—no easy task this week—but had a couple of three-putts and missed three “short” birdie putts.

But with no one else going low, Van Pelt calmed himself on the walk to No. 10.

“I felt if I could get one hot nine, I could get in contention,” he said.

The 36-year-old from Indiana did just that, starting with a birdie on the par-4 10th, another on the par-3 12th, and four on the final five holes, ending with a 5-foot putt after another beautiful approach on the tough par-4 18th.

With only 11 players still under par after three days of thick rough and narrow fairways, few expected to see anyone setting the nine-hole record at the 7,010-yard, tree-lined Shaugnessy Golf and Country Club. Van Pelt did it by keeping his driver in the short grass, and hitting 17 of 18 of the small greens.

“You never know you are going to shoot 29,” said Van Pelt, who used his driver for all but one hole on Saturday. “You have to drive it in play. If you drive it in rough, you can’t hit the green. I grew up on a tree-lined golf course with small greens, so from a visual standpoint, I like the looks of it.”

Like Van Pelt, Daly said the key was hitting his driver well.

“You have to,” said Daly, saying it at least gave him a chance to get to the small greens from the rough if he hit it further off the tee. “If you lay up you can t get to the green on your approach shots. You’ve just got to attack.”

Daly, playing just his 14th PGA Tour event this year because he now relies on sponsor’s exemptions, is trying to win for the first time since 2004, and hasn’t been in the top-10 since two runner-up finishes in 2005. He said he will be nervous Sunday.

“If I’m not I shouldn’t be out here,” said Daly. “It’s been a long time.”

Van Pelt played in front of sparse crowds Saturday. But there will be plenty of attention on the final pairing Sunday with local hero Hadwin.

The 23-year-old Hadwin tipped his cap and gave a wave to a raucous reception walking up the 18th green, and the roars continued long after he missed a 12-foot birdie putt and tapped in for par. For a second-year pro from the third-tier Canadian Tour, Hadwin appeared to be taking it all in stride as he tries to become the first Canadian since Pat Fletcher 1954 to win his national open championship.

“It’s indescribable,” Hadwin said of the reception. “It’s a very exciting feeling to have that many people behind you and cheering for you. If I keep doing what I’m doing they will have something to cheer for tomorrow.”

NOTES: Bud Cauley (68), Ryan Moore (67) and David Mathis (69) are all at 1-under, four shots off the lead. … No played has been in the 60s all three days, and only Ogilvy, Scott Piercy and Keegan Bradley don’t have a round over par, with the latter two, who are among five players at even par, both recording three straight 70s. … Top amateur Patrick Cantlay shot 68 to get to 1-over and into a tie for 17th as he looks to continue a streak that has seen him finish in the top-25 of all four PGA Tour events this season, including the U.S. Open.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.