Haas co-leads 3M Championship

By Associated PressAugust 6, 2011, 12:54 am

BLAINE, Minn. – Jay Haas reeled off four straight birdies to complete a round of 8-under 64 on Friday, taking a share of the lead with John Huston after the first round of the 3M Championship.

Haas, who also recorded a hole-in-one earlier in the round, recorded successive bogeys when he missed short putts on No. 13 and 14 but immediately got back in the groove by sinking a 30-foot putt on No. 15 to start his strong finish.

“That was huge because I’d gone back to 4-under and I was a little disappointed to be only 4-under at that stage because I played pretty well,” Haas said. “I’d been playing beautifully. I was frustrated that I’d given two shots back, but at the same time I felt if I kept playing this way I’m going to get some more chances.”

He hit a wedge to about 5 feet on No. 16, and a 6-iron to about 15 feet on No. 17 to set up more birdies. Haas settled for birdie on the par-5 No. 18 after two-putting from about 10 feet.

“It was a very, very eventful day,” Haas said.

After recording par on the first three holes, Haas’s tee shot with a 5-iron on the 184-yard fourth hole landed about a foot short and bounced into the hole.

“It was probably my best shot ever that went in the hole. It was just a pretty shot from the start,” he said. “I was laughing with Mark (Calcavecchia) because he’d hit a beautiful 5-iron shot about 10 feet left of the hole, and I said walking up to the green, ‘I’d have taken your shot.’ Good shots don’t always go in the hole; great shots don’t always go in the hole.”

Haas drained a 30-footer on No. 5 to begin a string of three straight birdies.

Huston, who has one win in seven Tour starts since turning 50 on June 1, bogeyed the first hole, but made six birdies in a seven-hole span to get to 6-under after the 12th hole. He closed with two straight birdies.

“Everybody knows you’re going to have to shoot low scores here. Fortunately, I was able to get off to a good start today and set myself set up for the weekend,” he said.

Gary Hallberg, Tom Lehman, Peter Senior and Rod Spittle were one shot back at the TPC Twin Cities. Calcavecchia, who finished second last year, was two shots back after a 66. Joining him were David Eger, Kenny Perryand Joey Sindelar.

Brad Faxon, playing in his first event on the Champions Tour, was among a group of nine players shooting 68.

Lehman, a native Minnesotan playing the tournament for the first time, birdied his first three holes, but did not get another until going back-to-back on Nos. 11 and 12.

“I was happy with the way I played. … I drove the ball very well, my iron shots were solid and I rolled the ball decently,” he said. “It’s a good start.”

The combination of mild temperatures, high dew points and little wind meant 53 of the 80 players finished under par.

“You’re going to have to put up 20-under this week,” Senior said. “I don’t think the course is going to play tough enough for the guys to have any sort of problem with it.”

Because of the nearly 2 inches of rain received in the past week, the only complaint was that balls hit off the tee would sometimes stick in the damp fairway and leave mud on the ball, reducing the player’s ability to control a second shot.

“I had four or five shots that did not go within 20, 25 yards of where I wanted them to go,” said Sindelar, who suggested lift, clean and place may want to be used if the course doesn’t dry out.

Defending champion David Frost shot a 1-under 71. No champion has defended his title in the event’s 19-year history.


Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.