Langer (62) rides long putter to lead at Chubb Classic

By Associated PressFebruary 12, 2016, 11:17 pm

NAPLES, Fla. - Bernhard Langer had a hard time choosing what kind of putter to use.

Once the 58-year-old German star made that decision, he made the rest look easy Friday, shooting a 10-under 62 to take a four-stroke lead in the PGA Tour Champions' Chubb Classic.

Langer used an anchored stroke with a long putter for 17 years, but new golf rules forced him to adjust after Jan. 1. He said he has used 15 putters and four styles in the last month. Last week in the Allianz Championship in Boca Raton, he had two putters in his bag for a round.

''I need to weed through all the different ways and this can take weeks or even months,'' Langer said.

Friday he chose the long putter.

''It was the right decision, I think,'' he said.

That's an understatement.

Langer made 11 birdies at TwinEagles, including five straight birdies on Nos. 3-7 and Nos. 14-18. He made a 35-footer on No. 9 and a 40-footer on No. 17.

Had he not missed 5- and 6-footers, he said his score could've even been better.

''I practiced with two different putters (Thursday) night and I practiced some more this morning before the round with two different putters,'' he said. Then I can go either way, but I decided to go with a long one today and I was glad I did because I putted very well except those two short ones I missed.''

Warmer weather and a much gentler win than earlier in the week played a key in the fine round.

''I played a practice round Tuesday and it was blowing 23-25 mph and that was really difficult,'' he said. ''Today was 4-5 mph, sometimes nothing. If there is no wind, you can be more aggressive, you can shoot to your numbers more precisely.''

Langer went on to win the event in 2013 after also opening with a 62.

In the past seven years in Naples, Langer has two victories, two seconds, a tie for third and a tie for fourth. He was in contention last year before withdrawing to attend to a family matter.

''I don't know exactly why, but we talked about it a few days ago when I was here,'' he said. ''Not sure what it is, I just feel comfortable here and generally, I've always had a decent start. If I look back the last eight or nine years on this tour, I had a pretty good start every year, starting in Hawaii and then playing Boca and coming here.''

Jay Haas was second. He had six birdies.

''It was not easy, but I never felt like I was going to make a bogey,'' he said. ''I didn't expect 6 under to be leading, but maybe didn't see 10 under, either.''

Jeff Maggert was third at 67, and Fred Couples was at 68 along with Kenny Perry Kevin Sutherland, Steve Lowery, Scott Hoch and Michael Allen.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.