Langley outdoes Jackson in 1st round of US Amateur

By Associated PressAugust 26, 2010, 4:06 am

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. – Scott Langley’s fist pump after dropping a 15-foot putt on the first extra hole was as much relief as exhilaration.

Langley, the reigning NCAA champion and low amateur at the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach, outlasted 51-year-old Tim Jackson on Wednesday in the first round of match play at the U.S. Amateur.

Forced to play the daunting par-5 first hole yet again, Langley knocked his pitching wedge from 115 yards onto the putting surface after Jackson missed the green from nearly the same spot. Langley, who won the NCAA individual title as a junior, then ended a long trip around dry and hot Chambers Bay by sinking his birdie putt.

“I would rather have won it in less holes and saved energy,” Langley said. “… As soon as I saw Tim’s name I knew I was going to have to play well to beat him. We had quite the match.”

Langley was one of the bigger names to get through the first day of match play. Defending champion Byeong-Hun An rolled to a 3 and 2 victory over David Dannelly in his first match, while Pac-10 co-player of the year Eugene Wong needed 19 holes to beat Joe Saladino. Wong rallied to win the final four holes of the match after being 3 down with just three to play.

Others weren’t as fortunate. Local favorite and Hogan Award winner Nick Taylor – who played nearby at Washington – lost to Chian Kim 4 and 2. Kevin Tway, the son of Champions Tour player Bob Tway and the 2005 U.S. Junior Amateur champ, was defeated 1-up by Blayne Barber.

Medalist Jeff Wilson, a 47-year-old car dealer from Fairfield, Calif., had his start time pushed back by the handful of matches going extra holes and didn’t start his match against Amory Davis until nearly 3 p.m. local time. Davis was leading 1-up through seven holes.

Davis was the final survivor of a 16-for-6 playoff early Wednesday morning that determined the final spots in match play.

Jackson was the low amateur at the U.S. Senior Open last month just up the road at Sahalee Country Club and finished ninth during stroke play here. He jumped out to a 2-up lead before Langley got up-and-down out of the greenside bunker on the ninth hole to trim the deficit. They were all square after the 16th, but Langley went ahead on No. 17 when his pitching wedge on the par 3 settled to 4 feet.

Jackson was able to force an extra hole by making a downhill 8-foot putt on the 18th after Langley’s long par putt missed.

“I played well early and he played well in the middle holes and we both had chances. It came down to a putt (and) that’s fun,” Jackson said. “I’d like to be on the top side of that, but looking back I hit a lot of good shots and I competed well.”

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.