Luke Donald leads Rory McIlroy at Dunhill Links

By Associated PressOctober 4, 2009, 9:16 pm

European Tour

ST. ANDREWS, Scotland – Luke Donald was almost perfect with his putter on the way to an 8-under 64 at Kingsbarns on Sunday that gave him a one-stroke lead over Rory McIlroy and Simon Dyson in the weather-delayed third round of the Dunhill Links Championship.

Donald had nine birdies and just one bogey, at the 15th.

“I gave myself a lot of chances from 10 to 15 feet and just really rolled the ball nicely. Made pretty much everything I looked at,” said Donald, who was at 15-under 201 after playing each of the three courses used in the event: Kingsbarns, the Old Course at St. Andrews and Carnoustie.

McIlroy shot a 69 at Kingsbarns with three birdies on the back nine after an eagle, a birdie and three bogeys on the front. Dyson had a 68 on the same course. Michael Hoey (70), Darren Clarke (67), Richie Ramsay (70) and Rafael Cabrera-Bello (65) were another stroke back at 13 under.

The leading players will tee off on the Old Course for the final round on Monday. The third round was postponed from Saturday because of high winds.

Donald was out of action with a wrist injury for the second half of last year and has struggled for consistency in 2009 despite a second place in the Verizon Heritage and a tie for fifth in the British Open.

Donald rued his bogey at No. 15.

“I spilt the round with one bad swing there. I hit it in the water but still made a pretty good four,” he said.

McIlroy is playing with his father, Gerry, in the pro-am section of the tournament and they are one of the 22 pairs who will contest that competition on Monday, Gerry McIlroy’s 50th birthday.

But Rory has a better chance of winning the main event than he and his father do in the pro-am, where they are 15th.

McIlroy said he struggled with the pace of the greens Sunday.

“I couldn’t get used to them at all,” he said. “After three bogeys I was relieved to see a putt go in at the ninth and the back nine was very solid. I played great at St. Andrews a couple of days ago, so hopefully I can do the same again.”

Lee Westwood’s resurgence continued after a first-round 73 at Carnoustie and he shot 66 at Kingsbarns to rise to 14th place.

Ernie Els also had a 66 there after two 72s and was tied for 33rd. Padraig Harrington just made the cut after a 72.

The Irishman, winner of three majors over the last two years, had double bogeys at Nos. 13-14. On the 15th, his tee shot came up short and he found a bunker with his second, taking three more to get down.

He had a bad lie at the next and then missed a 3-footer.

“I was running out of steam today,” Harrington said. “But I’m glad to be playing tomorrow. You never want to miss out on playing St. Andrews.”

Watch final-round coverage of the Alfred Dunhill Links on Golf Channel Monday from 7 a.m. - noon.

Related Links:
Tom Abbott's Dunhill Diary: Not Gone with the Wind

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.