Mast Defies Odds Gets Another Tour Start

By Associated PressJanuary 18, 2005, 5:00 pm
2005 Buick InvitationalSAN DIEGO -- Winless on the PGA Tour in his 30 years as a pro, Dick Mast hasnt stopped trying.
 
In the ultimate display of desire, the 53-year-old Mast took an overnight flight from Honolulu and arrived at El Camino Country Club about 20 minutes before his tee time. Then he shot 65 -- with a bogey on the final hole'and earned one of two spots to play in the Buick Invitational.
 
Just last week, Mast flew from Florida to Hawaii to try to earn one of four spots in the Monday qualifier for the Sony Open. He shot 64 at Pearl Country Club, then made the cut and tied for 47th for his first PGA check since 2001.
 
As long as I have the energy, and I hit it long enough, theres no reason I cant get hot and do something, Mast said Tuesday while playing a practice round at Torrey Pines.
 
Mast played 328 tour events without winning from 1974 to 2001, then became eligible for the 50-and-older Champions Tour. He isnt even fully exempt to play with the seniors, finishing 12th at Q-school last year to earn conditional status.
 
But he still thinks he can win'even against players half his age.
 
I do or I wouldnt try, Mast said.
 
Everything had to fall into place for him to qualify for the Buick Invitational.
 
Mast shot a 64 at the Sony Open on Friday and was only five shots out of the lead going into the final round. He closed with a 74 and tied for 47th, but he played so late on Sunday that his only option was the redeye at 10 p.m., connecting through Los Angeles and jumping on a commuter flight.
 
His tee time for the qualifier at El Camino was 8:41 a.m. Monday.
 
I shut my eyes on the plane, put a blanket over my head and pretended to sleep, Mast said. The lady said, Welcome to San Diego. The tires touched down at 7:10, and we came into the commuter airport, so luggage and everything goes quick. The Lord was good. I had strength.
 
He also has game'enough to qualify for back-to-back PGA Tour events as a 53-year-old with not much sleep.
 
Sometimes, you have to dig deep, Mast said.
 
He hopes to play in as many as 15 events on the Champions Tour and will continue to try PGA Tour events. Mast won four times on the Nationwide Tour, but never on the PGA or Champions circuits.
 
Ill take either, he said, walking up the fourth fairway on the South Course with Ernie Els on the adjacent fairway to the right and the Pacific Ocean below him on the left. But this would be the ultimate.
 
Related links:
  • Full Coverage - Buick Invitational
     
    Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Getty Images

    Woods favored to miss Farmers Insurance Open cut

    By Will GrayJanuary 24, 2018, 1:54 am

    If the Las Vegas bookmakers are to be believed, folks in the San Diego area hoping to see Tiger Woods this week might want to head to Torrey Pines early.

    Woods is making his first competitive start of the year this week at the Farmers Insurance Open, and it will be his first official start on the PGA Tour since last year's event. He missed nearly all of 2017 because of a back injury before returning with a T-9 finish last month at the Hero World Challenge.

    But the South Course at Torrey Pines is a far different test than Albany, and the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook lists Woods as a -180 favorite to miss the 36-hole cut. It means bettors must wager $180 to win $100, while his +150 odds to make the cut mean a bettor can win $150 with a $100 wager.

    Woods is listed at 25/1 to win. He won the tournament for the seventh time in 2013, but in three appearances since he has missed the 36-hole cut, missed the 54-hole cut and withdrawn after 12 holes.

    Here's a look at the various Woods-related prop bets available at the Westgate:

    Will Woods make the 36-hole cut? Yes +150, No -180

    Lowest single-round score (both courses par 72): Over/Under 70

    Highest single-round score: Over/Under 74.5

    Will Woods finish inside the top 10? Yes +350, No -450

    Will Woods finish inside the top 20? Yes +170, No -200

    Will Woods withdraw during the tournament? Yes +650, No -1000

    Getty Images

    Monahan buoyed by Tour's sponsor agreements

    By Rex HoggardJanuary 24, 2018, 12:27 am

    SAN DIEGO – Farmers Insurance announced on Tuesday at Torrey Pines a seven-year extension of the company’s sponsorship of the Southern California PGA Tour event. This comes on the heels of Sony extending its sponsorship of the year’s first full-field event in Hawaii through 2022.

    Although these might seem to be relatively predictable moves, considering the drastic makeover of the Tour schedule that will begin with the 2018-19 season, it is a telling sign of the confidence corporations have in professional golf.

    “It’s a compliment to our players and the value that the sponsors are achieving,” Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.

    Monahan said that before 2014 there were no 10-year title sponsorship agreements in place. Now there are seven events sponsored for 10-years, and another five tournaments that have agreements in place of at least seven years.

    “What it means is, it gives organizations like the Century Club [which hosts this week’s Farmers Insurance Open], when you have that level of stability on a long-term basis that allows you to invest in your product, to grow interest and to grow the impact of it,” Monahan said. “You experienced what this was like in 2010 or seen other tournaments that you don’t know what the future is.S o to go out and sell and inspire a community and you can’t state that we have a long-term agreement it’s more difficult.”

    Events like this year’s Houston Open, Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas, and The National all currently don’t have title sponsors – although officials at Colonial are confident they can piece together a sponsorship package. But even that is encouraging to Monahan considering the uncertainty surrounding next season’s schedule, which will include the PGA Championship moving to May and The Players to March as well as a pre-Labor Day finish to the season.

    “When you look back historically to any given year [the number of events needing sponsors] is lower than the typical average,” Monahan said. “As we start looking to a new schedule next year, you get excited about a great schedule with a great group of partners.”

    Getty Images

    Day WDs from Farmers pro-am because of sore back

    By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 24, 2018, 12:07 am

    SAN DIEGO – Jason Day has withdrawn from the Wednesday pro-am at the Farmers Insurance Open, citing a sore back.

    Day, the 2015 champion, played a practice round with Tiger Woods and Bryson DeChambeau on Tuesday at Torrey Pines, and he is still expected to play in the tournament.

    Day was replaced in the pro-am by Whee Kim. 

    Making his first start since the Australian Open in November, Day is scheduled to tee off at 1:30 p.m. ET Thursday alongside Jon Rahm and Brandt Snedeker.

    Getty Images

    Farmers inks 7-year extension through 2026

    By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 24, 2018, 12:04 am

    SAN DIEGO – Farmers Insurance has signed a seven-year extension to serve as the title sponsor for the PGA Tour event at Torrey Pines, it was announced Tuesday. The deal will run through 2026.

    “Farmers Insurance has been incredibly supportive of the tournament and the Century Club’s charitable initiatives since first committing to become the title sponsor in 2010,” PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.


    Farmers Insurance Open: Articles, photos and videos


    “We are extremely grateful for the strong support of Farmers and its active role as title sponsor, and we are excited by the commitment Farmers has made to continue sponsorship of the Farmers Insurance Open for an additional seven years.

    In partnership with Farmers, the Century Club – the tournament’s host organization – has contributed more than $20 million to deserving organizations benefiting at-risk youth since 2010.