Mize takes ACE Group lead with 62

By Associated PressFebruary 17, 2012, 9:08 pm

NAPLES, Fla. – Larry Mize played an almost-perfect round on what he called a perfect day for golf.

Mize shot a 10-under 62 in calm, sunny conditions Friday to take a two-stroke lead after the first round of the Champions Tour’s ACE Group Classic.

Mize holed a 35-foot eagle putt on the par-5 17th and birdied No. 18. He hit 12 of 14 fairways, all 18 greens in regulation and had just 27 putts.

“I just think it was an ideal day to play golf,” said the 53-year-old Mize, the 2010 Montreal Championship winner for his lone title on the 50-and-over tour.

Tom Lehman, the player of the year last season, was second along with Kenny Perry and 2011 Senior British Open champion Russ Cochran. Mike Goodes, who won the qualifier Tuesday, was another stroke back at 65.

“It’s amazing,” Perry said. “You can shoot 64 and be two behind. Typical day on the Champions Tour.”

Only three of Mize’s eight birdies came on putts inside 10 feet. He holed a 25-footer on No. 7 and a 45-footer on No. 11.

“It doesn’t surprise me when Larry Mize makes a putt,” said Goodes, who played with Mize. “If you ever watch that silky stroke of his, he’s got one of the prettiest strokes ever.”

“I could see 6, 7 under, but 10 under is pretty amazing,” defending champion Bernhard Langer said.

Langer, the winner last year at The Quarry, was at 66 along with Jay Haas and Michael Allen.

This April will be the 25th anniversary of Mize’s playoff chip-in to win the 1987 Masters. This is the 25th edition of a Champions Tour event in Naples. Mize’s 62 is lowest on the tour since Nick Price shot an 11-under 60 last year in the Toshiba Classic.

“I’ve just got to enjoy today and come out and keep firing the next two days because everybody’s going to be firing as well,” Mize said.

Mize matched his career low. He shot a 62 once on the PGA Tour – in the 1985 Los Angeles Open, On that day, Mize eagled the first hole and shot a 6-under 29 on the front nine, and was 8 under after 11 holes.

“Sixty-twos don’t come along very often, so it’s a pretty special day for me,” said Mize, who did not win that year at Riviera Country Club.

Perry was 8 under going into the 17th, which had been playing downwind and yielded six eagles and 36 birdies. But Perry put his tee shot in a bush and had to take an unplayable lie. He was just short of the green, but put his pitch shot 20 feet past the hole and made bogey.

“I may have tried to swing too hard on No. 17, may have tried to do something a little bit out of my element there that I probably shouldn’t have done,” Perry said. “I was feeling good. I made nine birdies, and just was rolling, just made four birdies in a row.”

Lehman rallied after bogeys on Nos. 11 and 12 with five straight birdies. He just missed a birdie putt on No. 18 to make it six in a row.

“The round had a little bit of a hiccup there in the middle,” Lehman said.

Cochran, playing the back nine first, birdied Nos. 8 and 9, his final two holes, to get to 8 under. He shared the first-round lead last year, and went on to tie for third.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.