Moore Rose Allowed Back into Play

By Associated PressJune 3, 2006, 4:00 pm
DUBLIN, Ohio -- Ten hours after they were disqualified from the Memorial for walking off the course early, Ryan Moore and Justin Rose were allowed to resume play Saturday morning because they were given bad information from an official in their group.
 
They were on the 11th green during the rain-delayed second round when their walking scorer told them play had been suspended because of darkness and they were allowed to finish the hole if they wanted.
 
Moore said he asked the scorer why the horn did not sound, and that the scorer said there would be none.
 
After pleading their case to PGA Tour tournament director Slugger White and two other rules official, they were reinstated.
 
'We weighed all the evidence,' White said. 'They got bad information, and they asked what they felt were the right questions. Basically, they're the luckiest two guys on the planet right now.'
 
Moore was 3-under par for the tournament, five shots behind clubhouse leader Carl Pettersson, in his third tournament back from a hand injury. Rose was 2 over and on his way to making the cut.
 
'We're still playing,' Rose said after emerging from the rules trailer. 'It was a tough decision, but I think it was the right call.'
 
Moore called it the 'perfect storm of events' that led to their leaving the course Friday evening.
 
He said their walking scorer -- who is not a rules official, rather a volunteer for the tournament -- had been giving them what turned out to be bad information all along. The scorer had a radio headset and told them on the eighth hole that play was about to be suspended when the last group had teed off.
 
When told on the 11th green that play was suspended, Moore said he asked, 'No horn?'
 
'He said they were not going to be blowing the horn,' Moore said.
 
Tour officials typically blow an air horn to denote that play has been suspended. In bad weather, players must leave the course immediately. In the case of darkness, such as Friday's round because of a six-hour rain delay earlier, players can choose to finish the hole, but they cannot start the next hole or they are disqualified.
 
They were disqualified for walking off the course without notifying a rules official. The horn sounded about five minutes later, but Moore didn't hear it because they were in a van headed back to the clubhouse.
 
Instead of going to his car and leaving Muirfield Village, Moore retrieved his shoes from the trunk of his car and headed to the practice range.
 
'I was hoping they would understand, and I was ready to live with it,' he said. 'It was a tough decision. Rules are rules. Everything came together to make a big mess. I had a hard time falling asleep last night. Fortunately, we didn't pay the price.'
 
Rules in golf can be harsh, and most of the time there is no recourse. In the most recent example, Mark Roe was two shots out of the lead after a 67 in the third round at the 2003 British Open. He was disqualified because he and Jesper Parnevik forgot to switch scorecards at the start of the round, so Roe's scores were on Parnevik's card.
 
In other cases, players have been disqualified for accepting a ride in a cart from anyone but a rules official when they have to return to the tee after a drive could not be found.
 
An argument could have been made that Moore and Rose knew better than to listen to anyone but a rules official. Both said, however, they were worried about teeing off on the 12th hole because that would lead to disqualification if indeed play had been suspended.
 
'This isn't the first time something like this has happened,' White said. 'We just felt it was the right decision.'
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard - Memorial Tournament
  • Full Coverage - Memorial Tournament
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.