No 1 Clemson Heats Up in NCAAs

By Associated PressMay 30, 2003, 4:00 pm
College CentralSTILLWATER, Okla. (AP) -- Top-ranked Clemson looked the part Thursday.
 
The Tigers, looking for their first NCAA men's golf championship, shot a 1-under 287 in 95-degree heat, moving past Oklahoma State and UCLA into first place after 54 holes.
 
'The only thing I want them to do is realize there's more golf to play, and this thing is light years from being over,' said Clemson coach Larry Penly, whose team finished third a year ago and was runner-up in 2001.

ClemsonClemson got a 3-under 69 from Matt Hendrix and par rounds from D.J. Trahan and Jack Ferguson and stood at 24-over 888 after three rounds. Host Oklahoma State was at 889, with second-round leader UCLA and Florida tied for third at 899.
 
Lee Williams of Auburn retained the individual lead he has held since the start, shooting a 71 that left him at 4-under 212. That was five strokes ahead of Hunter Mahan of Oklahoma State, John Holmes of Kentucky and Chris Stroud of Lamar.

Oklahoma State is seeking its 10th national title and first since 2000.
 
Oklahoma State 'I think they'll welcome the opportunity to step out there tomorrow,' coach Mike Holder said. 'I've said this since before the tournament -- whichever one individual is standing at the end of 72 holes and whichever one team is standing, they'll be
deserving.'
 
Karsten Creek Golf Club, which yielded only nine sub-par rounds in the first two days, played easier Thursday when the wind remained calm.

Twenty-four players broke par, including a tournament-best 66 by Patrick Nagle of Illinois, who had six birdies and an eagle to offset one double-bogey. Nagle shot 81 and 78 the first two days.
 
Holmes used a 3-under 69 to get to 1-over for the tournament. U.S. Amateur champion Ricky Barnes of Arizona shot a 70 and was at 219, tied for seventh.
 
Teams arrived at the course to learn the NCAA golf committee had decided to implement a 54-hole cut. Only the top 18 teams in the 30-team field will return for the final round, along with the top six individuals not on those teams.
 
With threesomes averaging 5 hours, 45 minutes to complete their rounds, play finished just ahead of darkness each of the first two days. That had committee members concerned about being able to finish the tournament on time, particularly if a playoff is needed to determine the team or individual winner.
 
'We were very concerned about the student-athlete experience and wanted all players to play all four days, but our primary responsibility is to compete the championship in timely fashion,' committee chairman Mike Carter said. 'To do this, we felt we had to have a cut.'
 
He said much of the problem involved players looking for balls beyond the primary rough, and unplayable lies that have often required players to return to the tee to play another ball.

'We feel very badly for those young men who wanted to play the last round,' Carter said. 'It's just one of those unfortunate circumstances.'
 
Among the teams affected were defending champion Minnesota and Duke, which each missed the cut by one stroke. Duke coach Rod Myers said coaches had been assured before the tournament that there would be no need for a cut.
 
'I keep hearing about the possibility of a playoff. What chance is there of that happening?' Myers said. 'They said they didn't think it would be a good idea to have a playoff while other teams are on the course. Who cares? I would never want to interfere with crowning the right champion, but we could have allowed everyone to finish the tournament.'
 
He said the best alternative would have been to reverse the field on the final day, allowing the leading teams to play early and the others to go off late.
 
'We've taken away a valuable experience for a lot of student-athletes,' Myers said. 'Granted, this is a punishing tournament, on this course, for a lot of teams here. But I think they'd rather go through the punishment, with a chance of improving their position, than being told to go home or go fishing.'
 
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Getty Images

Cabreras win PNC Father/Son Challenge

By Associated PressDecember 17, 2017, 11:36 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. closed with a 12-under 60 for a three-shot victory in their debut at the PNC Father/Son Challenge.

The Cabreras opened with a 59 at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club and were challenged briefly by the defending champions, David Duval and Nick Karavites, in the scramble format Sunday. The Argentines went out in 30, and they had a two-shot lead with Cabrera's son came within an inch of chipping in for eagle on the final hole.

They finished at 25-under 199 for a three-shot victory over Duval and Karavites, and Bernhard Langer and Jason Langer. The Langer team won in 2014.

Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara tied for fourth at 21 under with Jerry Pate and Wesley Pate.

Cabrera wasn't even in the field until two-time U.S. Open champion Curtis Strange and his son, Tom Strange, had to withdraw.

Duval and his stepson went out in 28, but the Cabreras regained control by starting the back nine with back-to-back birdies, and then making birdies on the 13th, 14th and 16th. The final birdie allowed them to tie the tournament scoring record.

''This is certain my best week of the year,'' said Cabrera, the 2009 Masters champion and 2007 U.S. Open champion at Oakmont. ''To play alongside all the legends ... as well as playing alongside my son, has been the greatest week of the year.''

The popular event is for players who have won a major championship or The Players Championship. It is a scramble format both days.

In some cases, the major champions lean on the power of their sons for the distance. O'Meara said Saturday that his ''little man'' hit it 58 yards by him on the 18th. And on Sunday, Stewart Cink said son Reagan told him after outdriving him on the opening four holes, ''In this tournament I may be your son, but right now I'm your Daddy!''

Jack Nicklaus played with his grandson, G.T. They closed with a 64 and tied for 15th in the field of 20 teams.

Rose wins; Aphibarnrat earns Masters bid in Indonesia

By Will GrayDecember 17, 2017, 1:59 pm

Justin Rose continued his recent run of dominance in Indonesia, while Kiradech Aphibarnrat snagged a Masters invite with some 72nd-hole dramatics.

Rose cruised to an eight-shot victory at the Indonesian Masters, carding bookend rounds of 10-under 62 that featured a brief run at a 59 during the final round. The Englishman was the highest-ranked player in the field and he led wire-to-wire, with Thailand's Phachara Khongwatmai finishing second.

Rose closes out the year as perhaps the hottest player in the world, with top-10 finishes in each of his final 10 worldwide starts. That stretch includes three victories, as Rose also won the WGC-HSBC Champions and Turkish Airlines Open. He hasn't finished outside the top 10 in a tournament since missing the cut at the PGA Championship.

Meanwhile, it took until the final hole of the final tournament of 2017 for Aphibarnrat to secure a return to the Masters. The Thai entered the week ranked No. 56 in the world, with the top 50 in the year-end world rankings earning invites to Augusta National. Needing an eagle on the 72nd hole, Aphibarnrat got just that to snag solo fifth place.

It means that he is projected to end the year ranked No. 49, while Japan's Yusaku Miyazato - who started the week ranked No. 58 and finished alone in fourth - is projected to finish No. 50. Aphibarnrat finished T-15 in his Masters debut in 2016, while Miyazato will make his first appearance in the spring.

The results in Indonesia mean that American Peter Uihlein and South Africa's Dylan Frittelli are projected to barely miss the year-end, top-50 cutoff. Their options for Masters qualification will include winning a full-point PGA Tour event in early 2018 or cracking the top 50 by the final March 25 cutoff.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.