Notes Agent Mess Wie Debut

By Associated PressJanuary 15, 2008, 5:00 pm
HONOLULU -- Kenny Perry has an ambitious goal of playing the Ryder Cup in his home state of Kentucky.
 
Chad Campbell wants to get back into the top 50 in the world, if not higher.
 
Shaun Micheel hasn't won since his PGA Championship four years ago and is trying to get his game on the right track.
 
One thing they have in common is a contractual mess with their agent.
 
They are -- or were -- represented by David Parker of Links Sports Management Group in Plano, Texas. Perry said Parker informed them by e-mail last year that he was getting out of the business.
 
Still to be decided is what payment Parker has coming, and that's where it gets messy.
 
'My attorney is trying to meet with Dave's attorney and they're trying to come to a common ground,' Micheel said. 'Thus far, we haven't found that -- not really close. It's a tough way to start the year, but I'll just let my lawyer handle it and try to play good golf. I haven't spoken with Dave. I'm not sure I'll ever speak to Dave again.'
 
Parker could not be reached for comment. The phone at Links Sports and his mobile phone are no longer in service.
 
Perry said he has five years left on a deal with TaylorMade and three years with Hartford Life. In most cases, Links Sports would be entitled to a fee each year until the contract expires.
 
'I told Dave I'd pay him all the contract money, but he wants it all up front,' Perry said. 'I said, 'When I get paid, you'll get your percentage.' He offered me a buyout deal, which was probably 95 percent of the contract. I could write him a huge check.'
 
However, Perry said he had a contract with a company that went bankrupt, and he didn't receive anything.
 
'What if I write him a big check and something like that happens?' he said.
 
Campbell did not want to discuss the situation, other than to say it was disappointing.
 
'I'm just trying to get everything settled with him and get on my way,' Campbell said.
 
Parker once boasted that in 2004 he had more Ryder Cup players than any other agency, a roster that included David Toms.
 
In 2005, Toms filed a lawsuit against Parker which eventually was settled out of court.
 
'I was the first guy with him. I got him in the business,' Perry said. 'I should have known a red flag was up when David Toms sued him.'
 
Dennis Harrington, who worked with Parker, resigned from Links Sports in September and reached a non-compete settlement. Harrington started his own company, Orasi Sports, a few months later and is helping Campbell and others as a liaison.
 
'I just hope that Dave and the players can work something out,' Harrington said. 'It doesn't look very good.'
 
WIE DEBUT:
Michelle Wie did not play the Sony Open for the first time since 2003, and swing coach David Leadbetter said last month the plan was to play one or two LPGA events in Hawaii.
 
Looks like it will only be one at the most.
 
The LPGA Tour gets under way Feb. 14 with the SBS Open at Turtle Bay on Oahu, but a tournament official said last week all the sponsor exemptions already are taken. That leaves Wie only the Fields Open at Ko Olina, where she finished third in 2006.
 
CUT CLEANUP:
The Player Advisory Council considered four options before approving the proposal that only the nearest number to 70 play on the weekend if the cut includes more than 78 players. The proposal passed by a 75 percent margin.
 
The other options were top 60 and ties; top 65 and ties, as is done in Europe; the nearest number to 70 regardless of how many players finishing top 70 and ties; and a Saturday cut of top 70 and ties which Jeff Sluman has advocated for years.
 
One PAC member who favored the change was Rich Beem, who finished 119th on the money list in 2007, the final year of his five-year exemption from winning the PGA Championship.
 
'If this rule hurts anybody, it hurts me,' Beem said. 'Go look at my record. I live on the cut line.'
 
Brad Faxon won Hartford in 2005 after making the cut on the number, although under the new policy, he would have kept playing because 77 guys made the cut. His concern is that in a situation like the Sony Open, some players are denied a chance to move up.
 
'But if you know the rule before you start, make sure you're not on the cut line,' Faxon said.
 
The most bogus complaint of the weekend was that players didn't know about the new policy. That's their fault. The tour sent an e-mail when the change was approved in November. It was in the 'green sheet' report they get in the mail and in lockers. It was available on 'Tour Links,' the players' web site. And it was attached as a cover sheet to the 2008 regulations everyone received.
 
'It's going to happen to everybody once or twice, and they'll be upset about it,' Faxon said. 'All I know is if you're out there for greatness, it's not going to be a big issue.'
 
EASY DOES IT:
Ernie Els disliked soggy La Costa Resort, where he never got past the second round and didn't play the Accenture Match Play Championship the last two years it was there.
 
Don't look for him in Arizona, either. Els, eliminated in the first round last year, does not include the first World Golf Championship on his 2008 schedule posted on his Web site.
 
The Big Easy is not expected to make his PGA Tour debut until the Honda Classic, the start of playing six times in seven weeks through the Masters. One wrinkle in the schedule is he plans to play every week before a major.
 
That means he will be at the Stanford St. Jude Championship in Memphis, Tenn., but will skip the Memorial.
 
DIVOTS:
Stewart Cink at No. 24 is the highest-ranked player at the Bob Hope Chrysler Championship... Greg Norman plans to play the Mayacoba Golf Classic, the first time since 2004 he plays more than one regular PGA Tour event. Norman also will be at Pebble Beach... The LPGA Tour filled a 'TBA' on its schedule by announcing the Bell Micro LPGA Classic to be held Sept. 11-14 on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Mobile, Ala. It will be a full-field event... Jim Furyk once was asked in a magazine article for his dream foursome, and it included former President Bush. Imagine his surprise when he received a letter in the mail from the 41st president. 'He said, 'Thanks for including me.' And he said his game was horrible,' Furyk said.
 
STAT OF THE WEEK:
If the Nationwide Tour did not award world ranking points, Brandt Snedeker would be No. 20 in the world instead of No. 46.
 
FINAL WORD:
'I have got two years left of my original plan. I have got to start winning tournaments, fast.' -- Ernie Els, in the second year of this three-year plan to become No. 1 in the world.
 
Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Getty Images

Perez skips Torrey, 'upset' with Ryder Cup standings

By Will GrayJanuary 24, 2018, 2:19 am

Pat Perez is unhappy about his standing on the U.S. Ryder Cup points list, and his situation won't improve this week.

Perez won the CIMB Classic during the fall portion of this season, and he followed that with a T-5 finish at the inaugural CJ Cup. But he didn't receive any Ryder Cup points for either result because of a rule enacted by the American task force prior to the 2014 Ryder Cup which only awards points during the calendar year of the biennial matches as well as select events like majors and WGCs during the prior year.

As a result, Perez is currently 17th in the American points race - behind players like Patrick Reed, Zach Johnson, Bill Haas and James Hahn, none of whom have won a tournament since the 2016 Ryder Cup - as he looks to make a U.S. squad for the first time at age 42.

"That kind of upset me a little bit, the fact that I'm (17) on the list, but I should probably be (No.) 3 or 4," Perez told Golf Digest. "So it kind of put a bitter taste in my mouth. The fact that you win on the PGA Tour and you beat some good players, yet you don't get any points because of what our committee has decided to do."

Perez won't be earning any points this week because he has opted to tee it up at the European Tour's Omega Dubai Desert Classic. The decision comes after Perez finished T-21 last week at the Singapore Open, and it means that the veteran is missing the Farmers Insurance Open in his former hometown of San Diego for the first time since 2001.

Perez went to high school a few minutes from Torrey Pines, and he defeated a field that included Tiger Woods to win the junior world title on the South Course in 1993. His father, Tony, has been a longtime starter on the tournament's opening hole, and Perez was a runner-up in 2014 and tied for fourth last year.

Getty Images

Woods favored to miss Farmers Insurance Open cut

By Will GrayJanuary 24, 2018, 1:54 am

If the Las Vegas bookmakers are to be believed, folks in the San Diego area hoping to see Tiger Woods this week might want to head to Torrey Pines early.

Woods is making his first competitive start of the year this week at the Farmers Insurance Open, and it will be his first official start on the PGA Tour since last year's event. He missed nearly all of 2017 because of a back injury before returning with a T-9 finish last month at the Hero World Challenge.

But the South Course at Torrey Pines is a far different test than Albany, and the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook lists Woods as a -180 favorite to miss the 36-hole cut. It means bettors must wager $180 to win $100, while his +150 odds to make the cut mean a bettor can win $150 with a $100 wager.

Woods is listed at 25/1 to win. He won the tournament for the seventh time in 2013, but in three appearances since he has missed the 36-hole cut, missed the 54-hole cut and withdrawn after 12 holes.

Here's a look at the various Woods-related prop bets available at the Westgate:

Will Woods make the 36-hole cut? Yes +150, No -180

Lowest single-round score (both courses par 72): Over/Under 70

Highest single-round score: Over/Under 74.5

Will Woods finish inside the top 10? Yes +350, No -450

Will Woods finish inside the top 20? Yes +170, No -200

Will Woods withdraw during the tournament? Yes +650, No -1000

Getty Images

Monahan buoyed by Tour's sponsor agreements

By Rex HoggardJanuary 24, 2018, 12:27 am

SAN DIEGO – Farmers Insurance announced on Tuesday at Torrey Pines a seven-year extension of the company’s sponsorship of the Southern California PGA Tour event. This comes on the heels of Sony extending its sponsorship of the year’s first full-field event in Hawaii through 2022.

Although these might seem to be relatively predictable moves, considering the drastic makeover of the Tour schedule that will begin with the 2018-19 season, it is a telling sign of the confidence corporations have in professional golf.

“It’s a compliment to our players and the value that the sponsors are achieving,” Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.

Monahan said that before 2014 there were no 10-year title sponsorship agreements in place. Now there are seven events sponsored for 10-years, and another five tournaments that have agreements in place of at least seven years.

“What it means is, it gives organizations like the Century Club [which hosts this week’s Farmers Insurance Open], when you have that level of stability on a long-term basis that allows you to invest in your product, to grow interest and to grow the impact of it,” Monahan said. “You experienced what this was like in 2010 or seen other tournaments that you don’t know what the future is.S o to go out and sell and inspire a community and you can’t state that we have a long-term agreement it’s more difficult.”

Events like this year’s Houston Open, Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas, and The National all currently don’t have title sponsors – although officials at Colonial are confident they can piece together a sponsorship package. But even that is encouraging to Monahan considering the uncertainty surrounding next season’s schedule, which will include the PGA Championship moving to May and The Players to March as well as a pre-Labor Day finish to the season.

“When you look back historically to any given year [the number of events needing sponsors] is lower than the typical average,” Monahan said. “As we start looking to a new schedule next year, you get excited about a great schedule with a great group of partners.”

Getty Images

Day WDs from Farmers pro-am because of sore back

By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 24, 2018, 12:07 am

SAN DIEGO – Jason Day has withdrawn from the Wednesday pro-am at the Farmers Insurance Open, citing a sore back.

Day, the 2015 champion, played a practice round with Tiger Woods and Bryson DeChambeau on Tuesday at Torrey Pines, and he is still expected to play in the tournament.

Day was replaced in the pro-am by Whee Kim. 

Making his first start since the Australian Open in November, Day is scheduled to tee off at 1:30 p.m. ET Thursday alongside Jon Rahm and Brandt Snedeker.