Notes Els Moving to Fla Poor Monty

By Associated PressMarch 20, 2008, 4:00 pm
2007 WGC CA ChampionshipDORAL, Fla. -- Ernie Els spent last week in West Palm Beach, resting and working on his game as he tries to peak for the Masters. It might not be long before he returns for good.
 
Golfs most global player said Thursday that he was planning to move his home base from London to south Florida, where the weather is more suitable for golf in the winter and he can get strong care for his son, Ben, who is autistic.
 
Els was raised in South Africa, but he has made London his home for most of his professional career. He lives on the 16th hole of the West course Wentworth Golf Club, home of the European Tour and the World Match Play Championship. His daughter, Samantha, is about to turn 9 and it is tough to take her out of school.
 
For me to stay in England in the offseason is tough for me to do, Els said after opening with a 74 in the CA Championship. Im a guy from South Africa. I love the sun. I cant see myself sitting in the cold for three or fourth months. I dont like that. Ive always been comfortable down here. The schools for Ben, especially theres really good stuff happening over here for him.
 
All in all, I think it will be a good move.
 
Els disclosed two weeks ago that Ben, who is 6, has autism. He now has an Autism Speaks logo on his golf bag and wants to get involved raising money for research and awareness for the disorder.
 
He once had a home at Lake Nona in Orlando, but lived there only during long stretches of golf on the U.S. tour.
 
Els spoke to Nick Price, who grew up in Zimbabwe and has lived in Palm Beach County for years, during the Honda Classic, which the Big Easy won for his first PGA Tour victory in 3 1/2 years. Price is one of many friends in South Florida.
 
As for his golfing plans? Els does not think it will affect his schedule.
 
Ill still go to Dubai. I still got at the end of the year overseas, he said. I might put one or two more events into the schedule. Ill be closer to this side.
 
CONFIDENT CADDIE? According to his caddie, Tiger Woods had about a 1-in-15 chance of making that downhill, 25-foot birdie putt on the final hole to win at Bay Hill last week.
 
But upon further review, Steve Williams must have been confident it was going in.
 
Look at a replay of Woods standing over the putt, and Williams is in the background with his caddie bib already removed. If Woods had missed, there would have been a playoff with Bart Bryant.
 
This was brought to Williams attention Thursday. He thought about it, then smiled.
 
Just a habit, he said.
 
One can only assume the habit was taking off his bib on the 18th green. It had been seven years since Woods was in the final group and made a birdie putt on the 72nd hole to win.
 
POOR MONTY: These are desperate times for Colin Montgomerie, who is No. 66 in the world and is at Doral (top 20 from the PGA European Tour money list last year) with one last chance to crack the top 50 and go to the Masters.
 
There are a lot of ranking points available at this World Golf Championship, and even more at the Masters. And thats one way Europe will pick its Ryder Cup team. With all that pressure in mind, Monty was on the range Thursday morning when European captain Nick Faldo came by in black workout shorts and a black shirt.
 
Faldo stood behind Sergio Garcia, about four stations down from Montgomerie.
 
Monty would hit a few shots, then look over his shoulder at Faldo. He did this for about five minutes. Finally, Faldo looked over at the Scot and they made eye contact, and exchanged a few words.
 
Alas, Monty went 13 holes before making a birdie and shot 75. Only two players had a worse score.
 
CLUBS ARRIVE: Louis Oosthuizen arrived on Sunday for the CA Championship, although his clubs did not make it. He chipped and putted Monday'no clubs. He learned on Tuesday that he would be playing with Tiger Woods'no clubs.
 
Ping made him a replacement set Wednesday'still no clubs.
 
They finally arrived at 10 p.m. Wednesday, so the young South African had a security blanket for his first time in the U.S. spotlight. And he acquitted himself nicely until struggling down the stretch, taking double bogey on No. 17 with trouble in the rough and a three-putt from 20 feet. He wound up with a 74.
 
The highlight?
 
He hit his tee shot over the green on the 366-yard 16th, and got up-and-down for birdie.
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage - WGC -CA Championship
  • GOLF CHANNEL Airtimes
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.