Notes New Hall of Famers Lefty No 1

By Associated PressJune 24, 2008, 4:00 pm
EDINA, Minn. -- He was the first of only five players to capture the Masters and U.S. Open in the same year. He was the first player to lose all four majors in extra holes. Finally, Craig Wood is getting his due.
 
Forty years after he died, Wood was elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame by earning the minimum 65 percent of the vote, making him the only player this year to be get in through the PGA TOUR ballot.
 
Wood will be inducted Nov. 10 at the World Golf Village along with a class of 2008 that was expanded to five Tuesday.
 
Denny Shute, who won a British Open at St. Andrews and won back-to-back years at the PGA Championship, was selected through the Veterans Category, while golf writer Herbert Warren Wind and seven-time USGA champion Carole Semple Thompson were selected through the Lifetime Achievement category. Golf course architect Pete Dye was selected earlier in the Lifetime Achievement category.
 
Wood won 21 times on the PGA TOUR and became the first wire-to-wire winner of the Masters in 1941. He was poised to win the second edition of the Masters in 1935, safely in the clubhouse until Gene Sarazen holed out for double eagle on the 15th hole, then defeated Wood the next day in a playoff.
 
Shute had 15 TOUR victories, including the British Open at St. Andrews in 1933. He won the PGA Championship in 1936 and 1937, and for 63 years was the last man to win consecutive PGA titles until Tiger Woods in 1999-2000.
 
Wind wrote for The New Yorker from 1947 to 1953, then a 30-year stretch until he retired in 1990. He was covering the Masters in 1958 for Sports Illustrated when he described the 11th, 12th and 13th holes as Amen Corner. His books on golf include The Story of American Golf and Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf that he wrote with Ben Hogan.
 
Thompson has played in more than 100 USGA events, winning the U.S. Womens Amateur in 1973, four straight years in the U.S. Womens Senior Amateur and the twice in the U.S. Womens Mid-Amateur. She played on 12 Curtis Cup teams and was captain twice.
 
WHOS NO. 1
Even without playing the rest of the year, Tiger Woods has clinched the Mark H. McCormack Award for being No. 1 in the world ranking for the most weeks during a season.
 
No surprise there'Woods has won the award every year since it began in 1998.
 
The question is whether he can stay No. 1 the rest of the season. Woods is at 21.14, more than double that of Phil Mickelson at No. 2. Points are gradually reduced, and without earning any more points, Woods will finish 2008 with an average of 11.97.
 
That leaves him in range of Mickelson, who likely will need to win a major, a World Golf Championship event and perhaps two other events to replace Woods at No. 1.
 
Since the world ranking became official in 1986, Mickelson and the late Payne Stewart are the only players to win three majors without ever reaching No. 1.
 
INTERLACHEN 5s
For those pleasantly surprised to see the USGA keep the 18th hole at Torrey Pines as a par 5 at the U.S. Open, it went a few steps further for the U.S. Womens Open. Interlachen will have five par 5s and play as a par 73.
 
Not that Mike Davis, senior director of rules and competition who sets up the course, didnt think about it.
 
None of those holes made sense as a par 4, Davis said.
 
It will be the second LPGA major in the last four events that par was 73. The Road Hole on the Old Course at St. Andrews was changed from a par 4 to a par 5 for the Womens British Open.
 
Davis said the nines at Interlachen also have been flipped, making it the same routing as when Bobby Jones won the 1930 U.S. Open on his way to the Grand Slam.
 
I checked the records, and they played it as a 72 for that Open, Davis said. The 10th hole was a par 4. I looked at that for the women, but it just didnt make sense.
 
COLLEGE COMBINE
For those who want to play college golf, there might be a cheaper way to get noticed by coaches than an expensive summer on junior golf circuits.
 
There will be two College Golf Combines this summer, in South Carolina and California, where kids from the eighth grade through seniors in high school will spend one day going through various skills tests, followed by an 18-hole tournament.
 
The International Junior Golf Tour and Hank Haneys golf academy are sponsoring the combine, which has signed up Under Armour as a title sponsor. The East combine will be held July 28-29 at Tradition National in Hardeeville, S.C., with the West combine scheduled for Aug. 4-5 at East Valley Golf Club in Beaumont, Calif.
 
Its going to give these kids some good exposure, Haney said. It allows coaches to get a close look at potential players. This is something thats going to grow each year. Its already to the point where were doing it on both coasts.
 
Already coaches from 40 colleges, from NAIA to Division I, have signed up for mens and womens combines on both coasts. Tournament director Stephanie Gelleni said more than 175 recruits have registered.
 
Combines have proven to be very successful for many other sports in the college ranks, Long Beach State womens coach Sue Ewart said. For golf, this will be the one time where we can compare athlete to athlete on various shots.
 
MONEY MATTERS
With a tie for sixth last week, Lorena Ochoa set an LPGA Tour record by reaching $2 million in earnings in just her 11th tournament this year. The previous record was Annika Sorenstam, who took 15 events to reach $2 million in 2004.
 
Ochoa also holds the record for fastest to reach $1 million (five events), and she is the only LPGA player to surpass $3 million and $4 million in a single season (2007).
 
DIVOTS
Three players shot 62 in the third round of the Travelers Championship. None of them broke par the next day. Two days before Tiger Woods teed off in the U.S. Open, Shaun Micheel had season-ending surgery on his left should to repair a torn labrum and remove a bone spur. The Walker Cup will be played in 2013 at National Golf Links, site of the first Walker Cup in 1922.
 
STAT OF THE WEEK
The U.S. Womens Open includes 27 amateurs. The U.S. Open had 11 amateurs in the field.
 
FINAL WORD
I talk a lot.'LPGA champion Yani Tseng of Taiwan, on how she learned to speak English.
 

Related Links:
Related Links:
Full Coverage - U.S. Women's Open
  • Full Coverage - Buick Open
  • GOLF CHANNEL Airtimes
  • Getty Images

    Cabreras win PNC Father/Son Challenge

    By Associated PressDecember 17, 2017, 11:36 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. closed with a 12-under 60 for a three-shot victory in their debut at the PNC Father/Son Challenge.

    The Cabreras opened with a 59 at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club and were challenged briefly by the defending champions, David Duval and Nick Karavites, in the scramble format Sunday. The Argentines went out in 30, and they had a two-shot lead with Cabrera's son came within an inch of chipping in for eagle on the final hole.

    They finished at 25-under 199 for a three-shot victory over Duval and Karavites, and Bernhard Langer and Jason Langer. The Langer team won in 2014.

    Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara tied for fourth at 21 under with Jerry Pate and Wesley Pate.

    Cabrera wasn't even in the field until two-time U.S. Open champion Curtis Strange and his son, Tom Strange, had to withdraw.

    Duval and his stepson went out in 28, but the Cabreras regained control by starting the back nine with back-to-back birdies, and then making birdies on the 13th, 14th and 16th. The final birdie allowed them to tie the tournament scoring record.

    ''This is certain my best week of the year,'' said Cabrera, the 2009 Masters champion and 2007 U.S. Open champion at Oakmont. ''To play alongside all the legends ... as well as playing alongside my son, has been the greatest week of the year.''

    The popular event is for players who have won a major championship or The Players Championship. It is a scramble format both days.

    In some cases, the major champions lean on the power of their sons for the distance. O'Meara said Saturday that his ''little man'' hit it 58 yards by him on the 18th. And on Sunday, Stewart Cink said son Reagan told him after outdriving him on the opening four holes, ''In this tournament I may be your son, but right now I'm your Daddy!''

    Jack Nicklaus played with his grandson, G.T. They closed with a 64 and tied for 15th in the field of 20 teams.

    Rose wins; Aphibarnrat earns Masters bid in Indonesia

    By Will GrayDecember 17, 2017, 1:59 pm

    Justin Rose continued his recent run of dominance in Indonesia, while Kiradech Aphibarnrat snagged a Masters invite with some 72nd-hole dramatics.

    Rose cruised to an eight-shot victory at the Indonesian Masters, carding bookend rounds of 10-under 62 that featured a brief run at a 59 during the final round. The Englishman was the highest-ranked player in the field and he led wire-to-wire, with Thailand's Phachara Khongwatmai finishing second.

    Rose closes out the year as perhaps the hottest player in the world, with top-10 finishes in each of his final 10 worldwide starts. That stretch includes three victories, as Rose also won the WGC-HSBC Champions and Turkish Airlines Open. He hasn't finished outside the top 10 in a tournament since missing the cut at the PGA Championship.

    Meanwhile, it took until the final hole of the final tournament of 2017 for Aphibarnrat to secure a return to the Masters. The Thai entered the week ranked No. 56 in the world, with the top 50 in the year-end world rankings earning invites to Augusta National. Needing an eagle on the 72nd hole, Aphibarnrat got just that to snag solo fifth place.

    It means that he is projected to end the year ranked No. 49, while Japan's Yusaku Miyazato - who started the week ranked No. 58 and finished alone in fourth - is projected to finish No. 50. Aphibarnrat finished T-15 in his Masters debut in 2016, while Miyazato will make his first appearance in the spring.

    The results in Indonesia mean that American Peter Uihlein and South Africa's Dylan Frittelli are projected to barely miss the year-end, top-50 cutoff. Their options for Masters qualification will include winning a full-point PGA Tour event in early 2018 or cracking the top 50 by the final March 25 cutoff.

    Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.