Notes Rough Finish for Hall Duvals Five Putt

By Associated PressJune 1, 2006, 4:00 pm
DUBLIN, Ohio -- Kevin Hall's big day sure started a lot better than it ended.
 
On the par-4 opening hole Thursday in the first round of the Memorial, the PGA Tour's first and only deaf player hit a 285-yard drive, a 185-yard approach and then rolled in a 22-foot birdie putt.
 
'I thought that was cool,' he said later through a signer, a wide grin creasing his face.
 
It ended up being the 23-year-old former Big Ten medalist's only birdie of the day. Six bogeys and a double bogey later, the former Ohio State player was stuck with a 79 in his fifth career PGA Tour event.
 
He remained upbeat. His only regret was that he didn't play better in front of a large gallery of family, friends and newfound admirers.
 
'It was a step in the right direction,' he said. 'I will improve.'
 
Hall, who lost his hearing and nearly his life from a bout with meningitis at the age of 2, was medalist at the first stage of qualifying for his PGA Tour card last year before playing poorly in the second stage.
 
He's never made a cut in five tour events. He received an exemption to get into the Memorial.
 
After making a bogey on the final hole, he signed his score card and then immediately walked to a young boy standing alone at the gallery ropes. He handed him his golf ball.
 
'I like to see their perspective,' he said of the many kids -- some of whom were deaf -- who followed him throughout the round. 'Golf is not all about getting angry. You have to enjoy life.'
 
O'HAIR PERSPECTIVE
Sean O'Hair has changed swing coaches and recently switched caddies, but what is helping him the most is changing his outlook. The rookie of the year in 2005 felt a big burden this year, and he was being a little hard on himself.
 
'I think the pressure I put on myself going into this year was a tremendous amount,' O'Hair said. 'I had a lot of expectations of myself because I felt that, 'Hey, I've proved myself, I can compete with these guys,' instead of just focusing on what I did last year, and that was to play my game.'
 
O'Hair missed four straight cuts early in the season and still doesn't have a top 10. His best stroke-play event came last week at the Byron Nelson Championship, a tie for 19th.
 
'Whenever I had a bad hole it was like, 'I've got to fight back.' Now, it's kind of like, 'Let's just move on and play,'' he said. 'I tried to jump ahead of myself and I just need to get back to the present time.'
 
He was 2 over through three holes after his double bogey at No. 3, and wound up at 5-under 67 and the clubhouse leader.
 
RAIN AGAIN
The first round of was suspended due to threatening weather with 30 players still on the course. They will complete the opening round on Friday morning, with the second round following immediately.
 
Tournament officials know the routine. In its 31 years, the Memorial has had 28 rounds delayed, interrupted or canceled because of inclement weather.
 
And more storms are expected Friday morning.
 
DUVAL REBOUND
David Duval was poised to join the leaders with two shots as pure as he has ever hit on the par-5 11th, a power draw into the fairway and a 3-wood into the breeze from 258 yards that stopped 25 feet behind the hole.
 
He was 2 under at the time.
 
Five putts later, he walked off the green at even par.
 
'I putted well all day,' Duval said. 'That's the funny thing.'
 
He wasn't laughing on the green. The cup was atop a slight ridge, and Duval's eagle putt was a tad too hard and went 6 feet by. He hit a firm stroke to take out the break, it caught the right edge of the cup and went 2 1/2 feet by. His par putt was the only time his brain went to sleep, and it caught the lip and spun down the hill 8 feet. The next one also caught the lip, and he tapped in for double bogey.
 
'You sack up with a big drive and a big 3-wood and then ... it just stinks,' he said.
 
He bogeyed the hole before with a 35-foot par putt that went 360 degrees around the cup, and he believes his five-putt had something do with missing the par-3 12th green and having to make a 15-footer just to save bogey.
 
The good news? Despite that stretch, Duval wound up with a 1-under 71.
 
DIVOTS
Dave Renwick, the former caddie for Vijay Singh, is back at work this week. Singh and Renwick parted ways after the 2004 season, when the Fijian won nine times and reached No. 1 in the world. Renwick is working this week for Mark Hensby. ... Steve Williams, the caddie for Tiger Woods, complained loudly last year about having to wear white coveralls like the ones they wear at the Masters. This year, caddies are wearing only the white top, with short sleeves, and Williams isn't around to enjoy the break. ... John Daly had quadruple-bogey 8 and birdie 3 on the final two holes to post an 80.
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard - Memorial Tournament
  • Full Coverage - Memorial Tournament
  • Getty Images

    PGA Tour, LPGA react to video review rules changes

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 11, 2017, 1:32 pm

    The USGA and R&A announced on Monday updates to the Rules of Golf, including no longer accepting call-ins relating to violations. The PGA Tour and LPGA, which were both part of a working group of entities who voted on the changes, issued the following statements:

    PGA Tour:

    The PGA Tour has worked closely with the USGA and R&A on this issue in recent years, and today's announcement is another positive step to ensure the Rules of Golf align with how the game is presented and viewed globally. The PGA Tour will adopt the new Local Rule beginning January 1, 2018 and evolve our protocols for reviewing video evidence as outlined.

    LPGA:

    We are encouraged by the willingness of the governing bodies to fully vet the issues and implement real change at a pace much quicker than the sport has seen previously. These new adaptations, coupled with changes announced earlier this year, are true and meaningful advances for the game. The LPGA plans to adopt fully the protocols and new Local Rule as outlined.

    Getty Images

    Sharma closes on Monday, wins Joburg Open

    By Associated PressDecember 11, 2017, 12:43 pm

    JOHANNESBURG – Shubhankar Sharma won his first European Tour title by a shooting 3-under 69 Monday in the final round of the weather-delayed Joburg Open.

    The 21-year-old Indian resumed his round on the eighth green after play was halted early Sunday afternoon because of storms. He parred that hole, birdied No. 9 and made par on every hole on the back nine.


    Full-field scores from the Joburg Open


    Sharma finished at 23-under 264, three strokes ahead of the pack, and qualified for next year's British Open, too.

    ''I actually wasn't going to come here about a week ago ... so I'm really happy that I came,'' said Sharma, who shot 61 in the second round. ''I don't think I'm ever going forget my first time in South Africa.''

    Erik van Rooyen (66) was second, three strokes ahead of Shaun Norris (65) and Tapio Pulkkanen (68).

    Getty Images

    Newsmakers of the Year: Top 10 in 2017

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

    Sharma among three Open qualifiers at Joburg Open

    By Will GrayDecember 11, 2017, 12:16 pm

    Shubhankar Sharma earned his first career European Tour win at the rain-delayed Joburg Open and punched his ticket to The Open in the process.

    Sharma returned to Randpark Golf Club Monday morning after storms washed out much of the scheduled final day of play. Beginning the re-start with a four-shot lead, he hung on to win by three over South Africa's Erik Van Rooyen.

    Both men can make travel plans for Carnoustie next summer, as this was the second event in the Open Qualifying Series with three spots available for players not otherwise exempt who finished inside the top 10. The final spot went to Shaun Norris, who tied for third with Finland's Tapio Pulkkanen but had a higher world ranking (No. 192) than Pulkkanen (No. 197) entering the week.

    The Joburg Open was the final official European Tour event of the year. The next tournament in the Open Qualifying Series will be the SMBC Singapore Open in January, where four spots at Carnoustie will be up for grabs.