Oosthuizen shares 54-hole lead at Africa Open

By Associated PressJanuary 8, 2011, 9:57 pm
2009 European TourEAST LONDON, South Africa – British Open champion Louis Oosthuizen bogeyed his last hole to fall into a share of the lead with Markus Brier of Austria heading into the final round of the Africa Open on Saturday.

Oosthuizen carded a 4-under-par 69 while Brier, who bogeyed the 16th, hit 70 as they finished the third round at 13-under 206, a stroke ahead of defending champion Charl Schwartzel and three others on a packed leaderboard.

Twelve players were within three strokes of the leaders at 6,104-meter (6,674-yard) East London Golf Club.

“This course needs the wind,” said Oosthuizen after a day without strong winds. “I hope the wind comes up a bit tomorrow, and then we can get back to the golf we played on the first two days.”

Branden Grace of South Africa, who shared the overnight lead with Brier and Miles Tunnicliff of England, appeared to be sailing serenely to a comfortable lead going into the final round before he misjudged his second into the 16th, going through the green. Twice in succession, he was unable to get a club on the ball as he swung at it buried in thick grass.

The resulting triple-bogey 7 saw him slip out of sole possession of the lead at 15 under to 12 under with two holes to play.

Ahead of him, however, Oosthuizen, who had inherited the sole lead at 14 under, had to take a penalty drop when he hit his tee shot into unplayable rough on 18. He was unable to salvage par, slipping to 13 under for the tournament co-sanctioned by the European and Sunshine Tours.

Grace was clearly unnerved by the problems he had on 16, and pulled his tee shot on the 152-meter (166-yard) 17th right.

His ball came to rest against a tree, and his second ended up on a paved path. He got his third out to within 12 feet of the pin, but he finished with a double-bogey 5 and found himself at par for the round at 10-under, where he started the day.

“I played great golf for 16 holes,” Grace said. “The last three holes just bit me at the end. It was a couple of funny decisions I made and a couple of wrong clubs, but all in all, I’m happy to be in contention.”

Brier, chasing his first European Tour title since the 2007 China Open, dropped his only shot of the day on 16 when he, like Grace, overshot the green. But he was able to recover enough to drop just a single shot, and, with two birdies and an eagle on his card, the damage was not too bad.

Tunnicliff shot 72 to fall two strokes off the pace.

Schwartzel appeared to be struggling for the early part of his homeward nine as he dropped shots on the 10th and the 12th, but he birdied four of his last five holes to card a 68 and move to 12 under overall.

Jaco van Zyl, a four-time winner on last year’s Sunshine Tour, didn’t make a single birdie on his homeward nine but joined countrymen Schwartzel, Jbe Kruger (67) and Spain’s Manuel Quiros (68) a strike off the lead.

The round of the day came from England’s Robert Dinwiddie, who, like Van Zyl, was bogey-free during his 7-under 66 which lifted him to 10 under.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.