Palmer Easing into a New Role

By Associated PressMarch 16, 2005, 5:00 pm
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Arnold Palmer is going to the Masters without his golf clubs.
 
Im not going to play in anything at Augusta this year, Palmer said Wednesday. Im going to say hello to my friends and do a couple functions that I would like to do, and then come back home.
 
Palmer played in his 50th consecutive Masters last year and said he would no longer compete in the major championship he helped put on the map with charisma and four green jackets.
 
But as the Masters approaches, Palmer realizes he will have to adjust to being at Augusta National without having a spot in the field.
 
That means no practice rounds, not even the Par 3 Tournament. And while Palmer said he might consider becoming an honorary starter, it wont be this year.
 
Instead, hell attend the Champions Dinner on Tuesday night and chairman Hootie Johnsons buffet on Wednesday, and spend time in between chatting with his legions of friends and fans.
 
I have no intentions of going on the golf course, Palmer said. Im just going to socialize. I may change that in years to come. But at the moment, I just feel like I want to get my feel for not playing in Augusta. For 50 straight years, I played and I loved it. And I would still enjoy it.
 
But I just want to get the feel for not doing anything.
 
This could be the first year without Palmer or Jack Nicklaus, a six-time Masters champion, since 1954. Nicklaus had planned to play, but he said chances were between slim and none that he would play the tournament because he wants to spend time with a family still grieving over the recent drowning of his 17-month-old grandson.
 
Nicklaus said he would be at the Champions Dinner and probably would play a practice round, perhaps even the Par 3 Tournament. And he did not rule out playing Thursday if he felt up to it.
 
Palmer had said he would stop playing the Masters in 2002, when Johnson sent a letter to past champions indicating they should no longer player after 65. The policy was rescinded, and Palmer played the next two years to bring his record streak at Augusta National to an even 50.
 
While he plans to leave Thursday morning at the latest, Palmer will still watch the Masters.
 
Thats something that is still left, Palmer said. I enjoy watching it.
 
Related links:
  • Full Coverage - The Masters

  •  
    Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

    Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.