Perry looking forward to Woods return

By Associated PressJanuary 27, 2010, 10:35 pm

2009 European TourDOHA, Qatar – Kenny Perry will give Tiger Woods a warm welcome when he returns from his self-imposed absence from golf.

“I am going to give him a hug and shake his hand,” Perry said Wednesday as he prepared for the start of the Qatar Masters, the American’s first appearance in a European Tour event.

Woods has been away from the game since his Nov. 27 car crash in Florida and subsequent revelations of marital infidelity. He has still not said when he will return to the PGA Tour.

“I am going to tell him that if he needs to talk to me in any way I will,” Perry said. “That’s the way I think we all should be. I am sure he’s had a lot of phone calls and a lot of people trying to get near him, but when he decides to come back I am going to approach him.”

Perry, who has risen to 13th in the world after winning the FBR Open and The Travelers Championship last year, believes Woods will be welcomed back into the golfing fraternity when he feels the time is right.

“The game of golf will go on with Tiger or without him because there is no man bigger than the game,” Perry said. “But I think Tiger needs to come back. I think you know we are his family, too. So if he comes back I think he will get a lot of support from the players.”

Perry was speaking at the final practice session before the Qatar Masters begins Thursday.

Also in the field is Europe’s top-ranked player, Lee Westwood, who is trying to bounce back after missing the cut at the Abu Dhabi Championship last week. Westwood blamed his poor showing on a new set of clubs designed to conform with golf’s new groove regulations.

The rule change introduced this year is designed to give players less control over the spin of the ball to make shots out of the rough more difficult, putting a higher premium on accuracy.

But with the help of club manufacturer Ping, Westwood believes he’ll be prepared. Ping flew another set of clubs from Britain to Qatar over the weekend, and Westwood immediately shot 63 on Monday in a corporate event.

“The grooves on this set have passed the test and now I am hoping to get back into the old routine,” Westwood said.

With players like Perry and Camilo Villegas in Qatar this week, the European Tour has, for the second week in a row, assembled a stronger field than its PGA Tour rival, the Farmers Insurance Open in San Diego.

One player who could be missing from future European tournaments is Henrik Stenson, the eighth-ranked player in the world. The Swede said he has rejoined the PGA Tour after the biggest win of his career last year at TPC at Sawgrass.

“I was a member in 2007 and I felt that it was time to take up the membership again,” said Stenson, who has a home in Orlando. “There are great tournaments and great weather and great competition as well, so it’s got a lot going for it. But obviously Europe is still my home tour and I’ll be making a few visits back.”

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.