Presidential Commission Focuses on Title IX Ratios

By Associated PressFebruary 10, 2003, 5:00 pm
College Central presented by PINGA Bush administration advisory commission rejected a proposal Jan. 30 to overhaul the landmark gender equity law credited with igniting a womens sports explosion. But some womens groups said the panel opened the door to such changes.
 
The Commission on Opportunity in Athletics considered about two dozen recommendations for Title IX during two days of sometimes contentious meetings. The most sweeping recommendations failed to pass -- one proposal produced a 7-7 tie -- but the panel endorsed allowing the Education Department to tinker with the ways students and athletes are counted to measure compliance with the law.
 
The advisory commission will forward its report to Education Secretary Rod Paige, who will consider the recommendations. It takes an act of Congress to fundamentally change the law, but Paige can alter the way compliance is measured.
 
Title IX prohibits gender discrimination in public and private schools that receive federal funding, which almost all do. It covers admissions, recruitment, course offerings, counseling, financial aid, student health and student housing, as well as athletics.
 
The commission only looked at sports, where the laws effect has been profound. The number of girls participating in high school sports rose from 294,000 in 1971 to 2.8 million in 2002. The number of women in college sports increased fivefold during the same time.
 
But about 400 mens college teams were eliminated during the 1990s as schools attempted to meet standards requiring a ratio of male and female athletes similar to the overall student population. Eastern Washington University cut their mens golf team last year in part to comply with Title IX as did Portland State.
 
The commission recommended several changes to a standard that allows schools to comply by having a male-female athlete ratio that is substantially proportionate to its male-female enrollment. The changes deal with roster spots, nonscholarship athletics and nontraditional students.
 
The commission has opened the door for the secretary to do a lot of damage to Title IX, said Donna Lopiano, executive director of the Womens Sports Foundation. They changed the way of counting collegiate participation. The number of male athletes will be deflated; the number of female athletes will be inflated.
 
One change would establish a predetermined number of roster spots on each team that count toward Title IX compliance, rather than the actual number of athletes on a team.
 
Commission co-chairman Ted Leland, athletic director at Stanford, said the rule would prevent a school from stacking 100 women on the rowing team to comply with the law.
 
Critics countered that the rule could allow a school to add scores of male athletes -- notably non-scholarship walk-ons -- beyond the preset limits without them counting toward Title IX compliance.
 
The commission went further on the issue of unrecruited walk-ons and nontraditional students -- such as those who are part-time -- recommending that none be counted as part of the Title IX total. The change would mostly affect smaller schools, particularly community colleges, although some Division I schools would be affected.
 
The 7-7 vote came on a revamped proposal by Maryland athletic director Debbie Yow to allow schools to comply by having a 50-50 split of male and female athletes, regardless of the student body makeup, with a leeway of 2 to 3 percentage points. Her earlier proposal called for a leeway of 5 to 7 percentage points.
 
Although most of the commissioners seemed in favor of changing the proportionality standard, their proposals were so varied that none could muster a majority. The most sweeping would have eliminated the proportionality requirement altogether. It failed 11-4.
 
Members of the Title IX commission
 
' Cynthia Cooper (co-chair), former WNBA player and coach and the leagues all-time leading scorer
' Ted Leland (co-chair), Stanford University athletic director
' Percy Bates, University of Michigan professor and director of programs for educational opportunities
' Bob Bowlsby, University of Iowa athletic director
' Gene DeFilippo Jr., Boston College athletic director
' Donna de Varona, Olympic gold medal swimmer; broadcaster
' Julie Foudy, president of the Womens Sports Foundation; U.S. national womens soccer team captain
' Thomas Griffith, Brigham Young University general counsel
' Cary Groth, Northern Illinois University athletic director
' Lisa Graham Keegan, chief executive officer of Education Leaders Council
' Muffet McGraw, University of Notre Dame womens basketball coach
' Rita J. Simon, American University professor; founder and president of the Womens Freedom Network
' Mike Slive, Southeastern Conference commissioner
' Graham Spanier, Penn State University president
' Debbie Yow, University of Maryland athletic director
 
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Rose wins; Aphibarnrat earns Masters bid in Indonesia

By Will GrayDecember 17, 2017, 1:59 pm

Justin Rose continued his recent run of dominance in Indonesia, while Kiradech Aphibarnrat snagged a Masters invite with some 72nd-hole dramatics.

Rose cruised to an eight-shot victory at the Indonesian Masters, carding bookend rounds of 10-under 62 that featured a brief run at a 59 during the final round. The Englishman was the highest-ranked player in the field and he led wire-to-wire, with Thailand's Phachara Khongwatmai finishing second.

Rose closes out the year as perhaps the hottest player in the world, with top-10 finishes in each of his final 10 worldwide starts. That stretch includes three victories, as Rose also won the WGC-HSBC Champions and Turkish Airlines Open. He hasn't finished outside the top 10 in a tournament since missing the cut at the PGA Championship.

Meanwhile, it took until the final hole of the final tournament of 2017 for Aphibarnrat to secure a return to the Masters. The Thai entered the week ranked No. 56 in the world, with the top 50 in the year-end world rankings earning invites to Augusta National. Needing an eagle on the 72nd hole, Aphibarnrat got just that to snag solo fifth place.

It means that he is projected to end the year ranked No. 49, while Japan's Yusaku Miyazato - who started the week ranked No. 58 and finished alone in fourth - is projected to finish No. 50. Aphibarnrat finished T-15 in his Masters debut in 2016, while Miyazato will make his first appearance in the spring.

The results in Indonesia mean that American Peter Uihlein and South Africa's Dylan Frittelli are projected to barely miss the year-end, top-50 cutoff. Their options for Masters qualification will include winning a full-point PGA Tour event in early 2018 or cracking the top 50 by the final March 25 cutoff.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.