Price grabs share of Champions Tour lead

By Associated PressJune 6, 2010, 2:54 am

Champions TourWEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Nick Price once again topped leaderboard late on a Saturday afternoon in the Principal Charity Classic.

The trick will be to turn Saturday success into a Sunday victory.

A loser the last two years after holding at least a share of the second-round lead in the Champions Tour event at Glen Oaks Country Club, Price shot a 6-under 65 on Saturday to match Tommy Armour III at 10-under 132.

Prince three-putted the final hole in 2008 to hand the title to Jay Haas, then lost to Mark McNulty in a three-man playoff last year.

“I’ve got to keep doing what I’m doing and not get ahead of myself,” Price said. “I still need to shoot a good score tomorrow.”

Armour took a three-stroke lead into the second round, but shot a 69 and missed a birdie putt on No. 18 that would have put him ahead.

Don Pooley, the 2003 winner, was 9 under after a 65. Bruce Vaughan (66), Dan Forsman (68) and Russ Cochran (68) were another shot back.

Price entered the round four strokes behind Armour. But as has become Price’s custom at Glen Oaks, he played lights-out in the second round.

He followed a birdie on No. 8 with a long eagle putt on the par-5 ninth and a birdie putt from the fringe on No. 10 to take the lead. He added birdies on Nos. 11 and 15, but stumbled with a bogey at No. 17.

“I feel better about my game this year than either of the last two years,” Price said.

Armour tied the course record with a 63 on Friday, becoming the first player in the tournament’s 10-year history to grab a three-shot lead heading into Saturday.

It didn’t take long to disappear.

After sinking a long birdie putt to start the day, Armour picked up his first bogey of the weekend on the second hole. He then bogeyed the par-4 eighth, and found himself two shots behind the surging Price.

Armour recovered with a pair of birdies on the back nine to pull into a tie for the lead. Armour has finished second twice this season and is still seeking his first Champions Tour win.

“It’s like John Wooden said, 'You’ve got to be patient and prepared,'” Armour said.

The 59-year-old Pooley’s best finish this year was 10th at the Legends of Golf team event in April. But he shot a bogey-free round to stay in contention for his second win at Glen Oaks.

Mike Goodes, Gene Jones and Chip Beck were at 7 under.

Fuzzy Zoeller, who hasn’t cracked the top 20 in an official event all year and withdrew from last week’s Senior PGA after an opening-round 76, had four birdies on his first six holes and finished with a 67. Zoeller was at 6 under after two rounds and in position for his best finish of the year.

Fred Couples, a three-time winner in seven senior starts, shot a second straight 70 and will have to make a major push Sunday to finish in the top 10.

Fred Funk, who like Price lost to McNulty in last year’s playoff, shot the day’s low round of 64 and was at 5 under.

The start of the round was delayed by 2 1/2 hours because about a half-inch of rain fell overnight and into the morning. The course was already a bit soggy because it had rained throughout the week.

Officials split up the pairings to get the round in, with half the field teeing off on the first hole and the others going off on No. 10, and preferred lies were in play.

It could be that way for Sunday’s final round, as heavy rain blew through the area shortly after play finished Saturday.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.