Repeat Performance Puts Karlsson on Top

By Associated PressNovember 16, 2007, 5:00 pm
European TourHONG KONG -- Sweden's Robert Karlsson shot his second straight 6-under-par 64 at the Hong Kong Open to take a four-stroke lead over an elite field on Friday.
 
Karlsson, who finished runner-up in Portugal last month, repeated his opening-round performance, enjoying a bogey free second round with six birdies on the way to a two-day total of 12-under 128 at the Hong Kong Golf Club.
 
'It is great to be in this position and I have played really well over the first two days,' Karlsson said. 'I have understood exactly what I need to do to have a good score around this golf course and then it is up to me to do it. So far I have done well. I used my driver only once today, at the sixth hole.'
 
Spaniard Miguel Angel Jimenez carded a 67 for the lone second spot in the $2.25 million event co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour and European Tour.
 
Canada's Mike Weir and Sweden's Jarmo Sandelin each had 64s to move into a group another shot back. Thailand's Thongchai Jaidee, a two-time Asian No. 1, had a 67 and was also at 133, along with American Bryan Saltus (65),
 
The 38-year-old Karlsson was at 3 under after nine holes and then shot to the top spot when he sunk three more birdies on the back nine that included a birdie on the final par-four 18th hole.
 
After dropping a shot on the sixth hole, former 2004 winner Jimenez bounced back on the way home when he fired four birdies.
 
'I always enjoy this golf course, it is a great old fashioned golf course where you have to be safe from the tee to allow you to have a chance for the green. You have to concentrate hard here and I like it,' he said.
 
Thongchai, with eight wins on the Asian Tour, shot a round that included four birdies against a lone bogey.
 
'The greens are really tricky but I'm enjoying myself out there,' he said. 'My plan is the same every day. The par-3s here are very tricky and the fifth, eighth and ninth holes are really tough. But I'm happy as I birdied the ninth, which I think is one of the toughest holes here.'
 
With six birdies against one dropped shot, Saltus, competing in his fourth year on the Asian Tour, said he enjoyed playing on his favorite course in Asia.
 
'This is an old golf course,' he said. 'I like old courses. You don't just smoke drivers on every hole, that gets boring. Here, you have to ply your way around, move the ball left to right, back and fourth, high and low and set it up.'
 
China's top golfer Liang Wen-chong improved with a 66 in tied 12th place alongside overnight leader K.J. Choi who slipped with a 72.
 
South African Retief Goosen was tied for 20th at 135 after a 66, while England's Nick Faldo had a 71 and was tied for 63rd.
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard - UBS Hong Kong Open
  • Full Coverage - UBS Hong Kong Open
  • GOLF CHANNEL Airtimes
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.