Romero Leads US Senior Open

By Associated PressJuly 6, 2007, 4:00 pm
U.S. Senior OpenHAVEN, Wis. -- Jim Woodward, a qualifier playing in his first Champions Tour event, shot a 67 to finish his first round Friday and move within a stroke of leader Eduardo Romero.
 
Woodward was one of 78 golfers caught in a thunderstorm Thursday afternoon that halted play. All the golfers caught a break Friday morning with calm winds and soft greens.
 
Lonnie Nielsen, who won last week at the Commerce Bank Championship, and Bruce Vaughan were two strokes behind Romero after also finishing their rounds Friday morning, while Jon Fiedler, Ron Vlosich, Vicente Fernandez and Gil Morgan were three back.
 
'There's good news and bad news getting up at five in the morning,' Woodward said. 'When you do, you get to play that second nine with no wind, so it's a big advantage for us.'
 
Woodward, who turned 50 on June 5 and qualified in Wichita, Kan., said he plans to try to qualify for the Champions Tour after playing as a club pro for the last several years. He joked with Tom Kite earlier in the week that he'd prefer to win the U.S. Senior Open to make qualification moot.
 
'I told Kite in our practice round ... 'I think I'll just win this week, and that'll fix everything,'' Woodward said. 'I guess I should be nervous, but I'm not.'
 
Romero and Fernandez, meanwhile, believe Argentinian golf is only getting better.
 
Romero made timely putts and used his long, straight drives to overcome the more than 1,300 bunkers at Whistling Straits to take the first-round lead with a 6-under 66 on Thursday.
 
Romero used his own money to sponsor Angel Cabrera, last month's U.S. Open winner, when Cabrera was trying to make it on the European Tour.
 
Cabrera, in turn, gave Romero some advice after winning at Oakmont.
 
'He said to me, 'If you go there, try to win the tournament, because two U.S. Opens in one month is fantastic,'' Romero said. 'And I said, 'Angel, I know it's hard, but I'll try my best.''
 
Romero said he knows he has a long way to go despite shooting the fourth-best opening round in U.S. Senior history by hitting 11 of 14 fairways and 15 of 18 greens in regulation. He also sank a 50-foot eagle on No. 16.
 
'The opening round is very good and probably Angel Cabrera (is) trying to celebrate, but three more rounds to go, you don't know what happens -- especially in this golf course, especially in the U.S. Senior Open, because there are a lot of good players behind me,' Romero said. 'I have to be very careful, you know?'
 
Cabrera was just a 10-year-old caddie when Romero's father, a club pro in Argentina, proclaimed the boy had the potential to become a pro player. Fernandez thinks many more will follow.
 
'We have about 50 youngsters playing worldwide on different tours,' said Fernandez, the only other Argentine in the tournament. 'Argentinian boys are doing very well on every tour. They're winning everywhere. So I'm not surprised.'
 
Cabrera's victory at Oakmont was only the second in a major championship by an Argentine, and the first since Roberto De Vicenzo won the 1967 British Open. De Vicenzo was a hero to Romero and other Argentinian golfers. He also won the 1980 U.S. Senior Open.
 
Now, golf's popularity is growing rapidly, in part, Fernandez said, because of a different approach in developing talent by letting promising players join a variety of different tours to test their mettle.
 
'They need a little bit more support from our federation and our PGA to get better,' Fernandez said. 'We're doing very well, I mean, those youngsters, they're practicing and they're training and they take care of themselves very well.'
 
Romero teed off from the 10th hole Thursday morning, sinking back-to-back birdie putts at No. 12 and No. 13 before rolling in an eagle putt on the par-5 16th hole to go 4-under par.
 
The ball nearly skipped past the hole, bouncing up before dropping in the cup, but Romero had three more birdies on the back nine, and his lone bogey of the round came on No. 7.
 
Whistling Straits had calm winds Thursday morning until thunderstorms rolled in later that afternoon. It led to lower scores at the relatively tree-free course that boasts a flock of about 40 Scottish Blackface sheep that roam the knobby hills.
 
But the links weren't kind to everyone on Thursday or Friday morning.
 
Two-time U.S. Senior Open champion Hale Irwin struggled, triple-bogeying the par-four 15th hole after needing two shots to get out of a sand trap followed by a three-putt. He also bogeyed three of his final five holes to finish 4-over par.
 
Allen Doyle, trying to become the first player to win three straight U.S. Senior Opens, didn't have much luck in his round, either. He double-bogeyed No. 10, his first hole, and then lost four more strokes when he returned to the course Friday morning to finish 11-over 83.
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage - U.S. Senior Open
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.