Sabbatini Suddenly Goes Quiet

By Associated PressJanuary 6, 2008, 5:00 pm
2007 Mercedes Benz ChampionshipKAPALUA, Hawaii -- A new year on the PGA TOUR always brings about some degree of change. Some players have new equipment deals. Others have pledged to get into better shape.
 
Perhaps the biggest change at Kapalua is Rory Sabbatini.
 
He's gone silent.
 
Sabbatini is a spunky South African with tons of firepower in his game who is coming off his best season on the PGA TOUR. He won at Colonial, played in the final group in two other events, was the only player to finish in the top 10 at all four playoff events, wound up fourth in the FedExCup and played on his first Presidents Cup team.
 
That's not what made his year so memorable to the public, however, and it ended on a sour note.
 
Sabbatini is never bashful about saying whatever is on his mind, which is why he didn't blush when stating that Woods looked 'beatable as ever' after losing a final-round lead to him at the Wachovia Championship.
 
Actions proved far more powerful than words, however. His peers roundly criticized him -- some publicly, most privately -- when he withdrew last month from the final round of the Target World Challenge, pocketing last-place money of $170,000.
 
This wasn't directed at Woods, the tournament host who arranged for sponsorship of a $5.5 million purse at a tournament that raises money to educate children. But it was different from a WD at a regular PGA TOUR event because a.) the size of the last-place check, b.) it was guaranteed money in the silly season and c.) his bold challenge to Woods.
 
More than anything, in the words of Mark Calcavecchia, it was 'Rory being Rory.'
 
Sabbatini's agent later said he withdrew because of shin splints, that he went home Saturday night to get them worked on, but there was no improvement and Sabbatini didn't want to risk it. This rang hollow, however, because locker room attendants said he packed up Saturday afternoon and gave away all his gear -- sweaters, shoes, balls.
 
Tournament officials had no idea what happened to his courtesy car until late Sunday night or early Monday morning. Turns out his caddie had it, presumably giving the boss a ride to the airport.
 
So what really happened?
 
Asked on Tuesday if he had a few minutes, Sabbatini politely said he was in a rush to leave, and when asked if the next day would be better, he kept walking. After his pro-am Wednesday, he again said he didn't have time.
 
'I'm done talking to you guys,' he said.
 
Approached a few minutes later at his locker, Sabbatini said, 'I have nothing to say.'
 
Not even about his change in golf equipment?
 
'I'll let my clubs do the talking,' he said.
 
There is word of a personal tragedy Sabbatini was going through, although that can't be confirmed because he won't talk.
 
Sabbatini wasn't the least bit rude in declining to speak. He appears to be in good spirits, and he has spent a half-hour or so after his rounds to sign autographs, exchanging pleasantries with the gallery.
 
How long Sabbatini will be on mute remains to be seen, and it probably won't matter unless he plays well. Considering how his last year went, not speaking might not be the worst idea.
 
Sabbatini feels as though he was taken out of context, and there's some truth to that.
 
His basic message is that he wants to go head-to-head with Woods at every turn, which usually means he would be in contention. Woods is the best, and that's where Sabbatini wants to be. Every player should have such aspirations.
 
What caused pens to run out of ink were his comments after losing to Woods at Wachovia.
 
'No, the funny thing is after watching him play on Sunday, I think he's more beatable than ever,' Sabbatini said. 'I think there was a few fortuitous occasions out there that really changed the round for him. And realizing that gives me even more confidence to go in and play with him on Sunday again.'
 
Woods was the first to concede he wasn't always hitting it where he was aiming at Quail Hollow. What made him respond was when Sabbatini said Woods was 'scary' in full control of his game, and he liked the 'new Tiger' better. Woods is sensitive toward criticism of his new swing, especially after it had brought him four of the last nine majors at that point.
 
Sabbatini never backed down because that's not his nature.
 
He signed up for the first tee time Wednesday at Oakmont before the U.S. Open, with Woods' name already on the list. Sabbatini played alone that day, and when someone jokingly asked Sabbatini if Woods was ducking him, he chirped, 'I don't know. I'll go find out.'
 
He walked across the putting green and began chatting to Woods, who rarely looked up, but smiled when he finally did. Sabbatini laughed, came back to a group of reporters and shared his information.
 
'He said he stopped playing on Wednesday at the majors a couple of years ago, and it's worked out OK for him,' Sabbatini said.
 
Over the next few months, Sabbatini said he wanted to play Woods in the Presidents Cup because he would either win and give his team a lift or lose and be a sacrificial lamb. They were in the final group at Firestone, and Woods beat him by nine and the field by eight.
 
By then, they were linked as adversaries, and pulling out of the Target made the headlines even larger.
 
'Obviously, Rory is full of confidence,' Woods said at Firestone. 'He believes in what he can do, and there's a lot to be said for that.'
 
But right now, you won't hear it from Sabbatini.
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage - Mercedes-Benz Championship
  • GOLF CHANNEL Airtimes
     
    Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Getty Images

    Watch: Fathauer dunks one off flagstick for eagle

    By Golf Channel DigitalFebruary 17, 2018, 7:45 pm

    The NBA All-Star Slam Dunk Contest will take place Saturday night in Los Angeles, but Derek Fathauer kicked things off a little early with this eagle in the third round of the Genesis Open.

    Playing his second shot on the par-4 third hole at Riviera Country Club, Fathauer dunked one off the flagstick and into the hole for an eagle-2:

    The shot got the the 32-year-old, in search of his first PGA Tour victory, under par for the round and into the mix early on Moving Day.

    Getty Images

    Luiten in three-way tie at Oman Open

    By Associated PressFebruary 17, 2018, 4:17 pm

    MUSCAT, Oman - Joost Luiten showed a return to form after a mediocre 2017 as he moved into a three-way tie for the lead in the Oman Open on Saturday.

    The Dutchman shot a second straight 6-under 66 - the joint best score of the day - to move to 12-under 204. He was joined at the top by Matthew Southgate (69) and Frenchman Julien Guerrier (66) after the third round at the Greg Norman-designed Al Mouj Golf Club.

    England's Chris Wood (69), another man on the comeback trail, was in fourth place at 11 under, but it could have been a lot better if not for a bogey-bogey finish. Adrian Otaegui (66) was a shot behind Wood while pre-tournament favorite, France's Alexander Levy (67), was at 9 under.

    The 90th-ranked Luiten credited some hot iron play for his success after a cracked driver set him back last year when he had just two top-10 finishes the whole season.


    Full-field scores from the NBO Oman Golf Classic


    ''I cracked my driver in my first tournament of the year in Abu Dhabi and it took me almost six months to get another one that I really liked. Once you are not driving the ball well, it puts pressure on other parts of your game,'' said the 32-year-old Luiten. ''My iron play did not get me into trouble at all today.''

    Southgate was quick off the block with three birdies in his first three holes. But the Englishman then made two bogeys and a double bogey in his next four holes, and a birdie on the ninth saw him make the turn at even-par.

    That forced him to think differently for the back nine and he was rewarded with three birdies.

    ''It was quite funny really,'' Southgate said. ''We birdied the ninth and I walked off and said to my caddie Gary ... 'We've just shot level par, so let's just pretend that we've made nine solid pars and that we haven't holed a putt and haven't made a birdie. Let's just start again on the 10th'.''

    The 32-year-old Guerrier started his round with a monster 48-foot birdie putt and had an eagle, six birdies and two bogeys.

    Getty Images

    J.Y. Ko increases lead; Lydia focuses on positives

    By Associated PressFebruary 17, 2018, 3:33 pm

    ADELAIDE, Australia - Jin Young Ko continued her domination of the Women's Australian Open, shooting a 1-under 71 Saturday to increase her lead to four strokes after three rounds.

    The South Korean, who led after each of the opening two rounds of the LPGA tournament, had a three-round total of 11-under 205 at Kooyonga Golf Club.

    Australian golfer Hannah Green moved into second place after the round of the day, a 66.

    Green, 21, is seeking to become the first Australian to claim her national crown since Karrie Webb won the last of her five titles in 2014. Webb, who is playing a part-time schedule in 2018, missed the cut Friday by one stroke.

    Green birdied her first three holes on Saturday and then added two more on the eighth and ninth. Two more birdies followed on the back nine with her only dropped shot a bogey on the 17th.


    Full-field scores from the ISPS Handa Women’s Australian Open


    "I was very pleased with my ball striking," Green said. "I have put myself in contention so I'm very happy with how things are panning out.

    "It was a real shame about Karrie missing the cut, but I know she has got different plans."

    South Korea's Hyejin Choi (70), was tied for third, five strokes behind. Australia's top-ranked golfer Minjee Lee was tied for fifth after a 69, six off the lead.

    Former No. 1 Lydia Ko shot a 71 and was eight strokes behind.

    "It's always nice to be able to start the season on a good note, and I've obviously got tomorrow," Lydia Ko said. "Hopefully, I'll be able to finish off on a high note."

    Getty Images

    Cantlay, McDowell, Saunders share lead at Riviera

    By Doug FergusonFebruary 17, 2018, 3:51 am

    LOS ANGELES - Tiger Woods waited 12 years to get back to Riviera and lasted only two days.

    Woods had three straight bogeys early on the back nine Friday and didn't play well enough to make up for his misses. He had a 5-over 76 and missed the cut in the Genesis Open for the first time in nine appearances as a pro.

    He was at 6-over 148, one shot worse than his PGA Tour debut as a 16-year-old at Riviera.

    ''I missed every tee shot left and I did not putt well, didn't feel very good on the greens,'' Woods said. ''And consequently, never made a run. I knew I had to make a run on that back nine, and I went the other way.''

    Patrick Cantlay ran off three straight birdies toward the end of his morning round, starting with a tap-in on the par-3 sixth when he missed a hole-in-one by a fraction of an inch, and shot a 69. He was tied with Graeme McDowell (66), the former U.S. Open champion who is trying to work his way back from a two-year slump.

    They were at 7-under 135.

    Sam Saunders also was at 7 under, making back-to-back birdies until it was too dark to continue. He had three holes remaining in his second round. Ryan Moore bogeyed his final hole for a 68 and was one shot behind at 136.

    Rory McIlroy overcame a few short misses on the front nine for a 69 and was at 2-under 140.


    Full-field scores from the Genesis Open

    Genesis Open: Articles, photos and videos


    Cantlay was coming off a three-putt bogey when his tee shot at the par-3 sixth - the hole with a bunker in the middle of the green - landed above the flag and to the right, and then rolled back down the slope just over the right edge of the cup.

    ''I actually missed a little to the right, but it's a bowl back there so as long as you get the number right, it should be pretty close,'' Cantlay said.

    He followed with a short iron into 5 feet for birdie, a 15-foot birdie on the next hole and then a wild drive that led to a bogey on his final hole.

    McDowell has gone 59 starts worldwide since his last victory and has fallen out of the top 200 in the world. He had missed four straight cuts dating to late last year, though he felt he was hitting it well in practice. What helped was seeing some good scores.

    ''All I'm missing is a couple little numbers and a little bit of confidence,'' McDowell said.

    Defending champion Dustin Johnson shot a 69 and gets to stick around for the weekend. He was at 1-over 143. Bubba Watson, who won in 2014 and 2016, has fallen out of the top 200 in the world after a two-year drought. He shot a 70 and was at 4-under 138, and then headed for the NBA All-Star weekend to play in the celebrity game.