Sabbatini WDs Memorial amid suspension speculation

By Associated PressMay 28, 2011, 4:14 am

IRVING, Texas – Rory Sabbatini has withdrawn from next week’s Memorial.

Sabbatini says he no longer needs to play the Memorial because he is exempt from qualifying for the U.S. Open. Even so, his decision comes amid speculation he’s facing a suspension from the PGA Tour over his behavior on the course in recent months.

The PGA Tour doesn’t discuss disciplinary matters. 

Sabbatini had a profanity-filled argument with Sean O’Hair on the course in New Orleans four weeks ago. That was after multiple players and officials said Sabbatini spoke harshly at the Northern Trust Open in February to a teenage volunteer trying to help him find a lost ball.

After the South African player shot a 12-over 82 Friday to miss the cut at the Byron Nelson Championship, he was asked why he wasn’t playing Memorial.

“Well, the only reason I was going to play is because I had to qualify for the Open. Now I don’t have to,” Sabbatini said. “After the way I played today, I definitely know I need some time off.”

Sabbatini said his next two tournaments would be the U.S. Open in three weeks, and the British Open a month after that.

When Sabbatini was in the top 10 on the PGA Tour money list this week, that made him exempt from qualifying for the U.S. Open that will be played June 16-19 at Congressional Country Club.

Sabbatini played in the Memorial last year, but before that he had not been there since 2006. The following week is the St. Jude Classic, where Sabbatini hasn’t played since 2000. If there is a suspension, it wouldn’t apply at the U.S. Open, which is run by the USGA, or the British Open.

The following week is the Travelers Championship in Cromwell, Conn., where Sabbatini hasn’t played since 2002. He hasn’t played the AT&T National since it began in 2007.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.