Scott says he might stick to US tour

By Associated PressNovember 11, 2009, 5:16 am

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP)—Adam Scott will consider giving up his European Tourmembership next year if players are forced to play designated events.

“I believe it’s becoming harder and harder to play multiple tours,” Scottsaid Wednesday at the Australian Masters. “My playing poorly this year doesn’thelp. But those years of Ernie Els running second in the U.S. and winning theOrder of Merit … I don’t think you’re going to see too much of that.”

Scott already has played 22 times this year on the European Tour and the PGATour, and he now embarks on the Australasian Tour schedule at the AustralianMasters, followed by the Australian Open and the Australian PGA Championship inDecember.

Next week is the Dubai World Championship to cap off the European Tourschedule. Scott is No. 44 in the Race to Dubai.

European Tour chief executive George O’Grady said last week it would beannounced in Dubai whether the tour will act on a proposal that players competein four out of six designated events, which could require playing moretournaments in Europe and could force players to alter an already busy schedule.

Scott said he doesn’t blame Europe for considering the stronger membershiprequirements, saying it needs to protect its sponsors and deliver a strongfield. It just might not be for him.

“I think Europe is doing the right thing,” he said. “But if that’s thecase, and with where I am with my game, I’m going to have to focus on one or theother and give it 100 percent. Because you run the risk of potentially notplaying well on either tour. If you want to compete in the FedEx Cup, you’ve gotto spot Phil Mickelson , Jim Furyk , Vijay Singh seven to 10 events. These are notexactly lightweights.”

On the European Tour, he said it is getting tougher to compete against thelikes of Lee Westwood , Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell . McIlroy has played 23times on the European Tour, compared with 11 tournaments for Scott.

“With the depth of talent on both tours, it’s going to be hard for me toplay two tours next year,” he said. “If you finish 20th on one and 15th onanother, you don’t know how good that is.”

He said he felt the games of Ian Poulter and Justin Rose also were sufferingby trying to play two tours.

Poulter did not reach the FedEx Cup final event on the PGA Tour, and onlyclimbed into the top 10 on Europe two weeks ago by winning in Singapore, hisfirst victory anywhere in three years. Rose only qualified for two FedEx Cupplayoff events, and is No. 47 in Europe.

Els has been this generation’s pied piper when it comes to global travel. Hewon the Order of Merit in 2004 and finished a distant second on the PGA Tourmoney list in 2004, when he won five times and had a chance to win all fourmajors.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.