Short leads first round of Champions Tour qualifying

By Associated PressNovember 21, 2013, 4:30 am

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Wes Short Jr. had birdies on his last two holes for a 5-under 66 at the Champions Tour's national qualifying tournament at TPC Scottsdale on Wednesday.

He leads Doug Garwood and Bill Glasson by one after 36 holes.

Short was at 12-under 130 on the Champions Course. His seven-birdie round on Wednesday included a two-putt birdie from 40 feet at the par-5 17th and a 12-foot birdie putt at No. 18 that moved him in front.

''I just didn't drive it as well today as I did yesterday. Luckily I hit a few good shots coming in,'' he said. ''I'm in the mix now so I won't need to have to shoot a 64 tomorrow to get back in it. It makes it much easier to try and play conservatively aggressive tomorrow if that makes sense.''

Short, a winner on the PGA Tour at the 2005 Michelin Championship at Las Vegas, played this past year on the PGA Tour through a major medical extension after lingering back issues had forced him to the sideline over the past three seasons.

Short came into this week with good vibes about playing in the desert.

''It takes a bit of getting used to and the ball travels different distances throughout the day depending on the temperatures. It's a little harder to adjust to how you should hit your irons, but I've done pretty good with that so far this week,'' he said.

Glasson was playing flawless golf for his first 35 holes of the event and it appeared as if he would be the 36-hole leader until troubles at the 18th hole.

The seven-time PGA Tour winner pulled a 5-iron second shot from a sidehill lie into the water left of the green and it led to a double bogey that resulted in a 67 and dropped him back to 11 under for the first two rounds.

''I lost my focus coming in and hit a poor shot at the end. I couldn't quite hold it together,'' Glasson said.

Glasson finished 33rd on the money list giving him access to many tournaments in 2014, but he is using this event as a way to improve his access, especially early in the year.

''This is what we do. This is my last opportunity to play this year, possibly into who knows when. I don't know if I'll get into the first few tournaments. Even though we are not talking about a huge number of tournaments, it's when I will get in that's important to me. I really want to play early,'' he said.

There was no cut in the 72-hole qualifier. At the end of 72 holes, the top five finishers earn fully exempt status through the re-order in the 2014 season, while the next seven players will be conditionally exempt. In addition, the top 30 finishers and ties will be eligible to compete for spots in open qualifiers at all co-sponsored events on the Champions Tour in 2014.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.