Sorenstam Ochoa highlight Begay Challenge

By Associated PressAugust 30, 2010, 11:06 pm

VERONA, N.Y. – Notah Begay III always thought he would make a name for himself on the golf course. He has, but not necessarily in the way he first envisioned.

After graduating from Stanford, where he was a three-time All-American and roomed with Tiger Woods, Begay made the top 10 on the Nike Tour (now the Nationwide Tour) money list to earn a place on the PGA Tour for 1999. He had a pair of wins in each of his first two seasons on tour, but since then has been plagued by back trouble and has turned much of his attention to charity work.

Begay, the only full-blooded Native American on tour, and his dad formed the NB3 Foundation in 2005 in an effort to improve the lives and well-being of Native American youths. The foundation’s signature fundraiser is a golf event, the NB3 Challenge. It’s a collaboration between the Oneida Indian Nation of New York and the San Manuel Band of Serrano Mission Indians of California.

The third annual challenge will be staged Tuesday at the Oneidas’ Atunyote Golf Club, home of the Turning Stone Resort Championship on the PGA Tour.

It will be a mixed-team skins match with a purse of $400,000, and as usual it has a star-studded field: former LPGA superstars Annika Sorenstam and Lorena Ochoa, along with current stars Suzann Pettersen, Cristie Kerr, Morgan Pressel, and Anna Rawson. PGA Tour regulars Anthony Kim, Camilo Villegas, Hunter Mahan, Vijay Singh, and Rickie Fowler, who is part Navajo, along with Begay complete the field.

All it took to assemble the field was a few phone calls from Begay.

“The turnout we got is amazing. This field is second to none,” Begay said. “There was no hesitation on anybody’s part. To get players of this caliber, assemble this kind of field, pull players out of retirement and get them interested and behind what we’re doing is very inspiring to me. It says a lot about what we’re trying to do.”

Begay said money his foundation donated to San Felipe Pueblo helped fund a $750,000 soccer field and park that just opened in New Mexico.

“San Felipe Pueblo has been located there since around the 13th or 14th century, and this is the first recreational facility that they’ve ever had,” Begay said. “We wouldn’t have been able to do that without the Challenge. There’s no way. The event’s had a tremendous effect, and the players really respect what we’re trying to impact in Native American communities.”

Begay said 230 kids already have signed up for soccer. “It’s really growing,” he said.

Begay’s foundation also has contracted with Johns Hopkins University to help design health studies regarding Native Americans, who are plagued by diabetes and obesity.

“We want to put our money into causes that are evidence-based and researched,” he said. “We’re not out there to throw money at issues and kind of see what sticks. We’re making decisions on how this money is used so that we don’t waste anybody’s resources. We’re very proud of that.”

Last year, Woods accepted Begay’s invitation to play, and he didn’t disappoint. He won three straight holes at the close to edge Villegas for top money. The foundation netted over $1 million from the event and Begay said he expects a similar return this time.

Originally a pure skins game format, Begay made the switch to a mixed-team, best-ball format this year because of the absence of Woods, who is trying to put his personal life back together following revelations about numerous affairs that led to his divorce last week.

Reverting to the original concept might be on the horizon, though.

“Tiger has already asked about next year,” Begay said. “We’ll be glad to have him back.”

And that can only help in the long run.

“I feel like this event is just going to continue to grow and gain more and more support across the country,” Begay said. “There’s so much need out there. It’s a big struggle, but it’s a lifelong commitment for me. I’m 37 years old and I’ll be doing this until the day I die. I just want to serve my people any way I can.”

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.