Sorenstams Bid for Grand Slam Trashed Early

By Associated PressJune 26, 2005, 4:00 pm
2005 U.S. WomenCHERRY HILLS VILLAGE, Colo. -- Annika Sorenstam played it safe, choosing a 4-wood for the tee shot on the long, uphill ninth hole. When she saw the ball curve right and land in the rough, she took three paces straight ahead and stuck that club in the trash can.
 
That was one of the few times Sorenstam let her frustration show Sunday, even though by the time she had reached No. 9 -- the trash can hole -- her quest to win the U.S. Open and move one leg away from an unprecedented Grand Slam was all but over.
 
Annika Sorenstam
Annika sorenstam didn't have much to look forward to after a bogey-bogey start on Sunday.
'It was just one of those weeks,'' she said. 'I got nothing.''
 
Trailing by five with 18 holes to play, she had promised she would be more aggressive, that she would hit more drivers and she did -- off a tree and into a creek on No. 1 and into the ankle-high rough on No. 2.
 
The result was two bogeys that put her seven strokes behind the leaders before they teed off. That deficit turned out to be way too big to overcome, even for the best player in the world.
 
She shot 6-over 77 and finished at 12-over 296 for the tournament, eight strokes behind leaders Morgan Pressel and Birdie Kim with three holes left to play.
 
Instead of keeping alive her chance at Grand Slam history, all Sorenstam had was an ugly little piece of personal history to record: This was the first 72-hole tournament in which she failed to break par since the 2001 U.S. Open. And her over-par rounds on Friday, Saturday and Sunday marked the first time she's failed to break par in three consecutive rounds at the same tournament since 2002.
 
``I am disappointed, but I am just going to leave here and I am going to know in my heart that I gave it all, it just didn't happen,'' she said.
 
Sorenstam's final round looked a lot like the first three at Cherry Hills. Aggressive plays like those on No. 1 and 2 didn't pay off. Conservatism didn't either.
 
``I had a game plan,'' she said. ``I am not going to second-guess myself. Normally when I come up with a plan it works, so I'm going to leave it at that.''
 
On the par-5 fifth, Sorenstam stuck with an iron off the tee, knowing it was a three-shot hole all the way. Her third shot, though, hit the green and trickled down, away from the flag. The result was a two-putt for par, the 25th straight par-5 she had played without making birdie.
 
She finally broke that streak on the 11th hole, the only par-5 she could reach in two, when a birdie there put her at 8 over. But it was way too late.
 
``I didn't feel like she played aggressive enough those first two rounds and today she was really having to chop out of the rough a lot,'' said her playing partner, Rosie Jones. ``I don't know if this course is really set up for her. She didn't seem comfortable on it.''
 
As Sorenstam walked off the sixth tee box -- the hole where she four-putted a day earlier to fall off the leaderboard -- a fan suggested to her that she could use a call from Tiger Woods, who like Annika, stayed stuck on nine Grand-Slam victories after his second-place finish last week at the U.S. Open.
 
``I sure could,'' Sorenstam quipped back.
 
But where Woods was able to get back into contention last week at Pinehurst, and wound up finishing second, Sorenstam never made a run.
 
Her bogey on No. 9 dropped her to 9 over, not a score that ever had a chance, even with the leaders struggling mightily.
 
On the par-5 17th, she went for the green in two for the first time all week and promptly found out why she had avoided that -- pushing her ball into the creek surrounding the green en route to her sixth of seven bogeys on the day.
 
Her second shot on 18 nestled up against the grandstand. As she walked up the 18th fairway, she got huge applause and she clapped back, acknowledging a crowd that came here to watch her run at history this week. She finished with her fourth straight bogey to close out her round, one more than she finished with Friday when her hopes were plunged into severe jeopardy.
 
Sorenstam still left Cherry Hills as the undisputed best player in the world -- but without the slice of history she openly set as a major goal of hers.
 
``When you want something really badly it just means a lot,'' Sorenstam said. ``It makes me appreciate that I have won two. Right now, I'd like to take my mind off golf for a little bit. Have some lunch. I gave it all. That's really all I can say. Disappointed, but I gave it all.''
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard - U.S. Women's Open
  • Full Coverage - U.S. Women's Open
     
    Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.