Spieth near lead in Singapore Open

By Associated PressJanuary 28, 2016, 7:02 am

SINGAPORE - A good night's sleep and a helping hand from his manager was all Jordan Spieth needed to get back in the swing of things on the latest leg of his globe-trotting tour.

The world's top-ranked player had arrived at the Singapore Open exhausted and complaining of fatigue after playing in the Middle East last week, but Spieth looked revitalized as he grabbed a share of third place in Thursday's opening round.

With his agent filling in as his caddie, Spieth began with a birdie at Sentosa Golf Club and birdied three of his last 10 holes to complete a bogey-free round of 4-under 67 at the co-sanctioned Asian and Japan Tour event.

That left him just one stroke behind the clubhouse leader, South Africa's Keith Horne, and Berry Henson of the United States, who still had one hole to finish when play was suspended for the day because of a thunderstorm.



Byeong-hun An of South Korea, the next highest-ranked player in the field at 26 in the world, matched Spieth's 67. They were joined at 4 under by Japan's Shintaro Kobayashi and Thailand's Namchok Tantipokhakul, who were among 57 players still on the course when play was suspended.

Spieth, who has played his past five tournaments in five different countries, turned to his manager and agent, Jay Danzi, to carry his bag after his long-time regular caddie, Michael Greller, injured an ankle in Abu Dhabi last week and canceled his trip to Southeast Asia.

''I thought Jay stepped in extremely well,'' Spieth said. ''It's a tough place to caddie when you are not used to carrying the bag, with the weather, but he took it like a champ.''

By his own standards, Spieth was not at his best, missing four fairways off the tee and misjudging most of his approach shots to the green.

''I felt like the entire day today was very stress-free driving the ball, which is the most important part out there, but from there I just couldn't get it on the right tier,'' the 22-year-old American said. ''I just couldn't quite get the right distance. My distance control was just off, trying to judge the wind, the humidity and the heat.''

Spieth escaped the worst of Singapore's stifling humidity when he teed off just after sunrise and made a perfect start when he made a 20-foot birdie putt on his first hole. He struggled to get his yardage right on the unfamiliar Serapong course but birdied each of the three par-5s and did not three-putt a single hole.

''It's just the first round,'' Spieth said. ''Coming here, to a different country, a different time zone, it's still an adjustment and I think each day should get a bit better.''

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.