Student Sues Over Right to Use Golf Cart
Scott Campbell, a 15-year-old freshman at MacArthur High School in Lawton, filed a federal lawsuit under the Americans with Disabilities Act in Oklahoma City last week asking to be allowed to use a golf cart and seeking $50,000 plus punitive damages.
'Like most golfers, Scott would like to walk 18 holes, but he can't,' Campbell's father, Michael Campbell, said Thursday. 'It's painful for him to even walk around school. After months of physical therapy, his knees are getting worse.'
Campbell has been diagnosed with chondromalacia, or damage to cartilage in the kneecap, and dislocation of the patella - a condition that developed after he was in an automobile accident in December. As an eighth-grader, Campbell asked for a cart exemption last spring to play in middle-school tournaments.
'They (OSSAA) wouldn't let him use a cart because they said he didn't meet ADA requirements,' Michael Campbell said. 'We sent them letters from three doctors stating that (his condition) substantially limits his major life activity, walking.
'They wanted more details. You don't need to give those kind of details under the ADA. They wanted to know exactly how much he could bend his knees. That's practicing medicine.'
Over the summer he was granted an exemption to use a cart in South Central PGA junior golf tournaments, but his request for an exemption for high school was denied.
Executive secretary Danny Rennels said the OSSAA will comply with the ADA, but must receive proper documentation. He referred questions about the lawsuit to attorney Mark Grossman.
'They did not give (the OSSAA) sufficient information,' Grossman said. 'They refused to allow us to speak to his doctors.
'There was uncertainty over what his problem was. It would be hard to justify making an exception for someone if it was a temporary condition where rest or physical therapy is needed. If it was temporary such as a broken ankle, you don't want that person out stomping around the golf course. The OSSAA is concerned about the health of all competitors. We don't want them to make their injury worse.'
Michael Campbell said he thought that Casey Martin's 1998 victory in an ADA lawsuit that allowed him to play on the PGA Tour with a rare circulatory disorder in his right leg would have resolved such situations.
Mark Solano, the Tulsa lawyer representing the Campbells, sees similarities and differences in the cases.
'This is more compelling,' Solano said. 'This is not a case that affects anyone else's ability to make a living.'
A court date has not been set.
Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Lexi 'applaud's USGA, R&A for rules change
Lexi Thompson’s pain may prove to be the rest of golf’s gain.
David Rickman, the R&A’s executive director of governance, acknowledged on Golf Channel’s "Morning Drive" Monday that the new protocols that will eliminate the use of TV viewer call-ins and emails to apply penalties was hastened by the controversy following Thompson’s four-shot penalty at the ANA Inspiration in early April. The new protocols also set up rules officials to monitor TV broadcasts beginning next year.
“Clearly, that case has been something of a focus point for us,” Rickman said.
Thompson reacted to the new protocols in an Instagram post.
“I applaud the USGA and the R&A for their willingness to revise the Rules of Golf to address certain unfortunate situations that have arisen several times in the game of golf,” Thompson wrote. “In my case, I am thankful no one else will have to deal with an outcome such as mine in the future.”
Thompson was penalized two shots for improperly returning her ball to its mark on a green during Saturday’s round after a viewer emailed LPGA officials during Sunday’s broadcast. She was penalized two more shots for signing an incorrect scorecard for her Saturday round. Thompson ultimately lost in a playoff to So Yeon Ryu.
The new protocols will also eliminate the additional two-shot penalty a player receives for failing to include a penalty when a player was unaware of the penalty.
Shortly after the ANA Inspiration, the USGA and R&A led the formation of a video review working group, which included the PGA Tour, LPGA, European Tour, Ladies European Tour and PGA of America.
Also, just three weeks after Thompson was hit with the four-shot penalty, the USGA and R&A released a new Rules of Golf decision decision (34-3/10) limiting video evidence in two ways:
1. If an infraction can’t be seen with the naked eye, there’s no penalty, even if video shows otherwise.
2. If a tournament committee determines that a player does “all that can be reasonably expected to make an accurate estimation or measurement” in determining a line or position to play from or to spot a ball, then there will be no penalty even if video replay later shows that to be wrong.
While the USGA and R&A said the new decision wasn’t based on Thompson’s ANA incident, LPGA players immediately began calling it the “Lexi Rule.”
PGA Tour, LPGA react to video review rules changes
The USGA and R&A announced on Monday updates to the Rules of Golf, including no longer accepting call-ins relating to violations. The PGA Tour and LPGA, which were both part of a working group of entities who voted on the changes, issued the following statements:
The PGA Tour has worked closely with the USGA and R&A on this issue in recent years, and today's announcement is another positive step to ensure the Rules of Golf align with how the game is presented and viewed globally. The PGA Tour will adopt the new Local Rule beginning January 1, 2018 and evolve our protocols for reviewing video evidence as outlined.
We are encouraged by the willingness of the governing bodies to fully vet the issues and implement real change at a pace much quicker than the sport has seen previously. These new adaptations, coupled with changes announced earlier this year, are true and meaningful advances for the game. The LPGA plans to adopt fully the protocols and new Local Rule as outlined.
Sharma closes on Monday, wins Joburg Open
JOHANNESBURG – Shubhankar Sharma won his first European Tour title by a shooting 3-under 69 Monday in the final round of the weather-delayed Joburg Open.
The 21-year-old Indian resumed his round on the eighth green after play was halted early Sunday afternoon because of storms. He parred that hole, birdied No. 9 and made par on every hole on the back nine.
Sharma finished at 23-under 264, three strokes ahead of the pack, and qualified for next year's British Open, too.
''I actually wasn't going to come here about a week ago ... so I'm really happy that I came,'' said Sharma, who shot 61 in the second round. ''I don't think I'm ever going forget my first time in South Africa.''
Erik van Rooyen (66) was second, three strokes ahead of Shaun Norris (65) and Tapio Pulkkanen (68).
Newsmakers of the Year: Top 10 in 2017
GolfChannel.com is counting down the top 10 Newsmakers of the Year as voted on by Golf Channel’s writers, editors, reporters and producers. Check out the list below, including future release dates:
No. 5: Dec. 12
No. 4: Dec. 13
No. 3: Dec. 14
No. 2: Dec. 15
No. 1: Dec. 18