Tigers Next Event to be US Open

By Associated PressMay 23, 2008, 4:00 pm
Tiger Woods decided Friday not to play in the Memorial as he recovers from knee surgery, meaning he likely will go to the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines without having played a tournament in two months.
 
Woods, who had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee April 15, was hopeful of playing before the U.S. Open. But his office notified the PGA TOUR that he would not enter the Memorial, a tour official said.
 
This is the second time in three years that Woods has had a two-month layoff before a major championship. He missed nine weeks in 2006 while coping with the death of his father, returning to the U.S. Open at Winged Foot and missing the cut for the only time in a major.
 
Tiger was looking forward to playing at the Memorial, said Mark Steinberg, his agent at IMG. But unfortunately, the timing of his recovery will not allow him to do so.
 
The only other tournament before the U.S. Open is the Stanford St. Jude Classic in Memphis, Tenn., although Woods never has played the week before a U.S. Open and has never played in Memphis.
 
Speaking last week to promote the BMW Championship, Woods said the layoff with his knee surgery and missing time after his father died were completely different situations.
 
Even when I came back for the Open, I probably wasnt ready to play yet, he said. I was eager to get back and play and be in a competitive environment, but I wasnt ready to deal with all the things you have to deal with inside the ropes and compete and play, and it showed. And I played terrible. This time around, its totally different.
 
Im just trying to get the leg organized enough to where I can play.
 
Memorial officials were making travel arrangements for Woods into Friday afternoon, still uncertain if he would play. Along with missing Woods, they learned at the 5 p.m. deadline that Adam Scott had changed his mind and would not play.
 
The tournament, which starts Thursday at Muirfield Village, still has eight of the top 10 in the world rankings.
 
We were excited to have Tiger play this year, but understand he still has some recuperating to do, tournament director Dan Sullivan said.
 
Woods last played at the Masters, where he finished three shots behind Trevor Immelman. He had surgery two days later, the second time in five years on his left knee, to clean out some cartilage.
 
One thing Woods has in his favor is the U.S. Open being held at Torrey Pines, where he has won more than any other course. He won the Buick Invitational there for the fourth straight time, and sixth overall, by a tournament-record eight shots in January. He also won a Junior World Championship at Torrey Pines as a teenager.
 
The golf course will be set up fair and it will be set up difficult, Woods said last week. And youre going to have to play well. You cant just scrape around that golf course and win a U.S. Open.
 
Related Links:
  • Blog: Good News, Bad News
  • Full Coverage - The Memorial Tournament
  • Tiger Woods Bio, Results, Photos and More
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.