Toms Takes Winning Streak Into Nelson
After winning on the PGA Tour for the first time in nearly 20 months last weekend, Toms spent Monday night as the third-base coach for his 5-year-old son's T-ball team, a 21-20 winner.
'You know I did send a couple of kids home when it was a close play at the plate,' Toms said Wednesday. 'It's so intense.'
Now Toms is back on the golf course, hoping to build on last weekend, when he ended his victory drought in the Wachovia Championship.
'It feels good to finally be back,' Toms said. 'It's been a long while and it's been laying on me pretty heavily. Hopefully, I can ride the wave longer.'
Even though Toms is sixth on the money list ($1.9 million), he had missed five of the first 11 cuts. He missed just seven cuts in 55 tournaments while making more than $7 million the previous two seasons.
That inconsistency was wearing on Toms.
'I was up and down. It was tough for me to take,' he said. 'Any time that you are missing cuts, you don't have a chance at all at your goal for that week, and it takes a toll. At least on me mentally.'
Toms finished fourth in last year's Nelson, and has been in the top 20 three straight years.
Shigeki Maryuama is the defending champion of the $5.6 million tournament, which plays its first two rounds over two par-70 courses, the TPC Four Seasons and Cottonwood Valley.
After finishing 16th on the money list last season, the highest finish ever for a Japanese player, Maryuama goes into the Nelson ranked 82nd with just $325,636.
Maryuama has entered just 12 tournaments this year, missing seven cuts and withdrawing from two other events because of a neck injury. He took some time off last month to return to Japan to see a doctor.
'There is no accurate, or adequate cure to my injury right now,' he said. 'So I feel that from this time on, that I need to try hard to come back.'
The tour's top three money-winners, Davis Love III, Masters champion Mike Weir and Tiger Woods, aren't in Texas this week.
Woods is defending his Deutsche Bank-SAP Open title in Germany, and Love and Weir are taking the week off.
Hank Kuehne enters the Nelson as the tour's longest driver (312.6 yards), and finally as a member of the PGA Tour.
While Kuehne's Tour status is temporary for now, it's something the 1998 U.S. Amateur champion went out and earned this season.
'I've got a little card that says so,' said Kuehne, 27.
By using sponsor's exemptions and finishing third at the BellSouth Classic and second at the Houston Open last month, Kuehne gained special temporary member status.
Kuehne turned professional four years ago, then went through left shoulder and left elbow surgeries in 2000. He failed to earn his card in three trips through the PGA Tour's Qualifying School.
After winning twice and finishing in the top 10 four other times in 12 Canadian Tour events last year, Kuehne failed again at Q-School.
So, he decided to try to earn his card with his play this season. He would take advantage of sponsor's exemptions to get into PGA Tour events and earn enough money to finish in the top 125 on the money list.
His $569,100 would put him 51st, but his money won't count until the end of the year. He has already won more than No. 117 on last year's final list and that would earn him his card for 2004.
'I'm very, very pleased with where I am. I'm not satisfied,' Kuehne said. 'My goals have somewhat changed. There are a lot of other things I would like to achieve this year having status. I'm definitely not going to just sit and say, `Oh great, I have my PGA Tour card.''
Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son
ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.
Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.
''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''
They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.
''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''
Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.
''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''
Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.
Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.
Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.
Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?
Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.
Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”
Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.
Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.
The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.
Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.
Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.
Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.
Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational
Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.
The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.