Winless Wie still wants to compete with the men

By Associated PressMay 13, 2009, 4:00 pm
Bookmark and Share
LPGA Tour _newCLIFTON, N.J. ' Six years since gaining national attention as a 13-year-old golfing phenomenon, Michelle Wie still seeks that first win on the LPGA and dreams of beating the boys on that other pro golf circuit.
 
A trip to Augusta also would be nice.
 
Wie raised a couple of eyebrows at a pre-tournament news conference for the LPGA Sybase Classic on Wednesday, when the 19-year-old matter-of-factly said that she hopes to win a PGA Tour tournament and play in the Masters.
 
Granted the questions were posed to the player who was anointed the next great womens golfer while still in middle school, but she didnt back off or even couch her answers by saying that would be something she would think about when she wins a couple of times against the best womens golfers.
 
Wie has not won a tournament since the 2003 USGA Womens Public Links Championship.
 
You know, like I always say, dream high and stuff, set your goals up high, and I think its definitely ' Im not saying its an easy goal to achieve, Wie said when asked about winning a mens tournament. Im not going to be like, Oh, Im going to go out and win a mens event. Its not like that, but its one of those long-term goals where I see myself getting to. I see myself getting there, and its one of those goals that really motivates me and pushes me to be a stronger player, a better player.
 
Wie captured plenty of attention in 2006 when she made it to the final round of qualifying for the U.S. Open. Her threesome at Canoe Brook in nearby Summit, N.J., was mobbed and she excited the throng in the morning 18 with a chip-in for birdie on her final hole. She struggled in the afternoon and failed to make the mens Open field.
 
It was a lot of fun, Wie said. The U.S. Open means a lot to me, so just being able to do that, I gained a lot of experience, and it was a really nice golf course. I just remember it being a really long day, but it was definitely a fun experience.
 
Unlike years past when Wie seemingly was a free agent contracting to any golf event, she is happy to be a member of the LPGA. She earned her playing privileges at the qualifying school last year and has earned $171,829 in five events this year. Her best finish was second at the SBS Open in her native Hawaii in her first start.
 
After taking the next three events off, Wie has finished tied for 57th, tied for 67th, tied for tenth and tied for 15th last week at the Michelob Ultra Open in Virginia.
 
Officially an LPGA rookie even though she has played in 54 events in her career, Wie said her game is improving.
 
Winning is another topic.
 
Im going to try to keep playing the best I can, Wie said. Hopefully I am very close to a win. I feel like its going to come. I have faith.
 
Wie, ranked No. 22 on the money earnings list, this week faces a field at Upper Montclair Country Club that includes three-time defending champion Lorena Ochoa and 27 of the top 30 players on tour.
 
Ochoa, who has won twice in seven events this year, said it is hard to have an opinion about Wie, having never played with her.
 
Her life is just very different than all of us, Ochoa said. She was the best when she was 12, 13, 14, and she was a phenomenon, and all the decisions they made, some of them good, maybe some of them not as good, but I think today shes a better player. I think she knows that she feels more comfortable out here. Its good that shes full-time. I think she likes that, and we like that, too, to have that consistency every week.
 
There is one major difference between the two. Ochoa, who has won 26 career titles, has no desire to play against the men.
 
You never know if Im going to change my mind in a couple years, the 27-year-old Ochoa said. But so far Im good here. I think I first need to prove and achieve my goals here on the LPGA. This is where I belong.
 
Wie thinks her life has stabilized after years of getting sponsors exemptions to LPGA and mens events in the United States and overseas, a career that has yet to bring a victory but has earned her millions of dollars in sponsorship deals and appearance fees.
 
I really dont regret anything that I have done, she said. But like I said, I dont want to go back into the past. Theres nothing I can do to change the past if I wanted to. So all I can do is focus on the future, focus on now. Its a new start. Its a fresh new start for me. Thats what it feels like. Im moving forward now, and I feel pretty good about it, and Im just having fun.
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard
  • Full Coverage ' Sybase Classic
  • Golf Channel Airtimes
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.