Zurich Extends Sponsorship of New Orleans Event

By Associated PressJuly 3, 2007, 4:00 pm
2007 Zurich ClassicAVONDALE, La. -- Zurich Financial Services Group has agreed to a two-year extension as title sponsor of New Orleans' annual PGA TOUR event, giving the long-running tournament solid financial footing to continue rebuilding itself in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
 
Tournament organizers, PGA TOUR commissioner Tim Finchem and Zurich chief executive James Schiro made the announcement Monday at the TPC Louisiana course, which in April hosted the Zurich Classic of New Orleans for the first time since sustaining $2 million in damage when the storm hit in August of 2005.
 
The agreement means Zurich, which already had committed to next year's event, will remain the title sponsor through 2010.
 
'I can look to my shareholders, I can look to my employees and know what we're doing here is helping change lives and helping people recover,' said Schiro, who traveled to New Orleans from Zurich's headquarters in Switzerland to help make the announcement.
 
Zurich and the PGA TOUR declined to disclose how much the two-year extension is worth.
 
New Orleans became an off-and-on PGA TOUR host city in 1938 and has held a tournament annually since 1958. It has been called the Zurich Classic since 2005, the first year it was held at the TPC Louisiana. The tournament had to be moved to its former home at English Turn in 2006 because of storm damage at the TPC. The event returned to the PGA TOUR-owned course in suburban Avondale this year.
 
Despite a field that lacked a number of big-name players, the final-round crowd exceeding 40,000 was believed to be a record for the New Orleans event. Nick Watney won the tournament, his first victory on the PGA TOUR.
 
Next spring, the Zurich Classic will run during the last week in March, two weeks before the Masters.
 
Organizers hope top players will come to New Orleans in 2008 as they prepare for the first major of the season.
 
'It will be very attractive for players, especially foreign players as they're tuning up their game for the Masters,' tournament director Tommy Fonseca said.
 
This year, the Zurich Classic was held two weeks after the Masters, when a number of top players were taking a break. It also was the tournament's first year back at a tough Pete Dye-designed course that had drawn a number of complaints from players in 2005.
 
When the course, carved out of picturesque cypress swamp, was rebuilt after the storm, several holes were modified.
 
'With the variables of the course being new and experiencing some damage, and the plight of where the city was in its recovery, (2007) had to be a rebuilding year for us,' Fonseca said. 'We accomplished the goals we needed to in letting tour players know the city is open for business and that the course is not only open but is in great shape. The modifications we've made have made it very attractive for tour players.'
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage - Zurich Classic
     
    Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.

    Getty Images

    Rose leads Indonesian Masters; Snedeker WDs

    By Associated PressDecember 15, 2017, 2:04 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose completed the final two holes of his second round early Saturday for a 3-under 69 and a one-stroke lead at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose, who had a first-round 62, was among a quarter of the field forced off the Royale Jakarta Golf Club course after weather delays on Friday.

    The Englishman, who bogeyed his last hole, had a two-round total of 13-under 131.

    Kiradech Aphibarnrat, who completed his 64 on Friday, was in second place.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters. He has been affected by a rib-sternum injury for most of the season.