Woods keeps things under control in Round 1

By Bailey MosierMay 4, 2012, 1:02 am

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – This week is all about control for Tiger Woods.

Control the message. Control the medium. Control the media. Control the misses.

Despite an opening 71 Thursday at Quail Hollow that left him six shots off the pace set by Webb Simpson, Stewart Cink and Ryan Moore, Woods never lost sight of the process.

He began the week unlike ever before when he opted to use social media to field questions from fans instead of a pre-tournament interview with the media. The Tiger camp assured us it wasn’t a knock on us typing types, rather a way to directly connect with fans.

In truth, it was Woods’ way to control the message, the medium and the media.

After three weeks off from competitive play, Woods was hoping to control the fourth ‘m’ as well, but opened his round with a miss.

“I bogeyed the first hole, so there goes that idea,” Woods said. “You try and build, try and find a rhythm in the round.”

His miss at the first was easily made up for when he birdied the second.

From there, Woods took his regulator role from earlier in the week and applied it to his execution and etiquette on the course.

It was a lackluster 18 compared to that of Woods’ playing partner Simpson, whose round included a chip-in eagle at the eighth and a 62-foot putt for birdie at the 12th. Woods’ round included three bogeys and four birdies. It was neither electrifying nor erratic. Woods never lost his composure nor found his rhythm.

But the one thing Woods did have all round was control. His misses were slight; his makes were simple.

Woods hit driver five times Thursday and found the fairway with it only once, on the par-5 10th. But the only time his driver cost him a shot was at the par-4 ninth; it was his only 'big miss' of the day. He came up and out of the shot, flared it right and immediately let go of the club, looking down in disgust. When his second shot caught a low-hanging tree branch and advanced only 30 yards, he was unable to save the par, making his third and final bogey of the day.

Woods found his footing on the back nine, recording seven pars and two birdies.

“I did play good on the back,” Woods said. “I gave up too many shots on the front nine.”

The shots Woods was referring to were a missed birdie opportunity on the par-5 fifth and a few approach shots that left him short-sided with little room for error in his chips.

His ball-striking was for the most part solid, but he failed to convert pars on more than one occasion where he had tough chips and bad breaks.

Still, no miss was too far gone that he couldn’t recover and his attitude was never so strained that he lost composure.

In fact, Woods was quite jovial all day and often laughed and joked with caddie Joe LaCava, Simpson and Simpson’s caddie.

“We’re all friends,” Woods said. “ Webby I’ve gotten to know because of the Presidents Cup. We had a good time out there.”

The last time Woods played with Simpson was brief but memorable. They were paired in the final round of the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral where Woods withdrew after 11 holes, citing tightness in his Achilles. It was a day that stuck with Simpson.

“We went from 10,000 people every hole to zero people,” Simpson recalled with a laugh.

Woods was among 79 players under par in the first round of the Wells Fargo, but stands T-56.

''I've got to obviously not make those little mistakes like that tomorrow,'' Woods said. ''We've got a long way to go, and we've got some rain coming probably on the weekend, so we're going to have to go get it.''

As long as Woods contains his misses for the remainder of the week, his ending may be well within his control. And if that’s the case, we all know what that message looks like.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.