Welcome everyone, to the sixteenth season of BIG BREAK. Or perhaps I should say, “CEAD MILE FAILTE“ (Gaelic for “100,000 welcomes”).
Big Break Ireland was shot in May over a two and a half week stretch at the K-Club just outside of Dublin; (and another course, but I’m not telling you, it’s a surprise day trip). After an extensive and lengthy audition process, we selected what I believe to be ONE of our best playing casts of all-time. We have six men and six women. They come from all different walks of life and are at many different stages in their golfing careers.
We have two former Nationwide Tour players, a former part-time LPGA / Ladies Euro Tour player and a few diamonds in the rough... the type of players we seek to cast when putting together a Big Break.
Spoiler alert: You are going to see some of the best shots you’ve ever seen in the history of the series and that was all despite VERY difficult playing conditions. The K-Club, no stranger to high-level championship golf, provided an epic backdrop for our series. The course was in phenomenal shape but Mother Nature wasn’t a consistently friendly host. We had one of the coldest months of May in the history of Ireland during our production... but that didn’t stop us from having what I believe to be one of the best shows of all time.
On the line for this year’s Big Break... Two exemptions for the winner. TWO!!! And more than $50,000 – the type of cash that WILL change one of their lives. I can’t wait for September 20th and I hope you’re as excited as I am.
This is the season I’ve always wanted to produce... co-ed, teams, captains...drama...shenanigans and GREAT GOLF. See you guys soon and be sure to check out our player bios.
See you in September... I’ll leave you with a few FUN FACTS / Irish-style.
- Ireland’s population is roughly the same as Los Angeles, CA.
- All students in Ireland are required to learn Gaelic.
- Ireland is roughly the size of Indiana.
- Northern Ireland – roughly the size of Connecticut, has produced three major champions in the last two years (Graeme McDowell, Rory McIlroy, Darren Clarke).
- Ireland’s National sport is Hurling ... a mixture of lacrosse, football, rugby and kill-the-carrier.
- Built from 1987-1993, Carne Golf Links in County Mayo was entirely constructed by hand.
- Seven of the top 100 Golf Courses (ranked by Golf Magazine) are in Ireland and Northern Ireland, with Royal County Down (#5) as the top Northern Irish course and Ballybunion as the top Irish course (#17).