Adam Scott says he might stick to US tour

By Doug FergusonNovember 11, 2009, 7:22 pm
JBWere Masters

MELBOURNE, Australia – Adam Scott will consider giving up his European Tour membership next year if players are forced to play designated events.

“I believe it’s becoming harder and harder to play multiple tours,” Scott said Wednesday at the Australian Masters. “My playing poorly this year doesn’t help. But those years of Ernie Els running second in the U.S. and winning the Order of Merit … I don’t think you’re going to see too much of that.”

Scott already has played 22 times this year on the European Tour and the PGA Tour, and he now embarks on the Australasian Tour schedule at the Australian Masters, followed by the Australian Open and the Australian PGA Championship in December.

Next week is the Dubai World Championship to cap off the European Tour schedule. Scott is No. 44 in the Race to Dubai.

European Tour chief executive George O’Grady said last week it would be announced in Dubai whether the tour will act on a proposal that players compete in four out of six designated events, which could require playing more tournaments in Europe and could force players to alter an already busy schedule.

Scott said he doesn’t blame Europe for considering the stronger membership requirements, saying it needs to protect its sponsors and deliver a strong field. It just might not be for him.

“I think Europe is doing the right thing,” he said. “But if that’s the case, and with where I am with my game, I’m going to have to focus on one or the other and give it 100 percent. Because you run the risk of potentially not playing well on either tour. If you want to compete in the FedEx Cup, you’ve got to spot Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Vijay Singh seven to 10 events. These are not exactly lightweights.”

On the European Tour, he said it is getting tougher to compete against the likes of Lee Westwood, Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell. McIlroy has played 23 times on the European Tour, compared with 11 tournaments for Scott.

“With the depth of talent on both tours, it’s going to be hard for me to play two tours next year,” he said. “If you finish 20th on one and 15th on another, you don’t know how good that is.”

He said he felt the games of Ian Poulter and Justin Rose also were suffering by trying to play two tours.

Poulter did not reach the FedEx Cup final event on the PGA Tour, and only climbed into the top 10 on Europe two weeks ago by winning in Singapore, his first victory anywhere in three years. Rose only qualified for two FedEx Cup playoff events, and is No. 47 in Europe.

Els has been this generation’s pied piper when it comes to global travel. He won the Order of Merit in 2004 and finished a distant second on the PGA Tour money list in 2004, when he won five times and had a chance to win all four majors.

Lexi 'applaud's USGA, R&A for rules change

By Randall MellDecember 11, 2017, 5:15 pm

Lexi Thompson’s pain may prove to be the rest of golf’s gain.

David Rickman, the R&A’s executive director of governance, acknowledged on Golf Channel’s "Morning Drive" Monday that the new protocols that will eliminate the use of TV viewer call-ins and emails to apply penalties was hastened by the controversy following Thompson’s four-shot penalty at the ANA Inspiration in early April. The new protocols also set up rules officials to monitor TV broadcasts beginning next year.

“Clearly, that case has been something of a focus point for us,” Rickman said.

Thompson reacted to the new protocols in an Instagram post.

“I applaud the USGA and the R&A for their willingness to revise the Rules of Golf to address certain unfortunate situations that have arisen several times in the game of golf,” Thompson wrote. “In my case, I am thankful no one else will have to deal with an outcome such as mine in the future.”

Thompson was penalized two shots for improperly returning her ball to its mark on a green during Saturday’s round after a viewer emailed LPGA officials during Sunday’s broadcast. She was penalized two more shots for signing an incorrect scorecard for her Saturday round. Thompson ultimately lost in a playoff to So Yeon Ryu.

The new protocols will also eliminate the additional two-shot penalty a player receives for failing to include a penalty when a player was unaware of the penalty.

Shortly after the ANA Inspiration, the USGA and R&A led the formation of a video review working group, which included the PGA Tour, LPGA, European Tour, Ladies European Tour and PGA of America.

Also, just three weeks after Thompson was hit with the four-shot penalty, the USGA and R&A released a new Rules of Golf decision decision (34-3/10) limiting video evidence in two ways:

1. If an infraction can’t be seen with the naked eye, there’s no penalty, even if video shows otherwise.

2. If a tournament committee determines that a player does “all that can be reasonably expected to make an accurate estimation or measurement” in determining a line or position to play from or to spot a ball, then there will be no penalty even if video replay later shows that to be wrong.

While the USGA and R&A said the new decision wasn’t based on Thompson’s ANA incident, LPGA players immediately began calling it the “Lexi Rule.”

Getty Images

PGA Tour, LPGA react to video review rules changes

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 11, 2017, 1:32 pm

The USGA and R&A announced on Monday updates to the Rules of Golf, including no longer accepting call-ins relating to violations. The PGA Tour and LPGA, which were both part of a working group of entities who voted on the changes, issued the following statements:

PGA Tour:

The PGA Tour has worked closely with the USGA and R&A on this issue in recent years, and today's announcement is another positive step to ensure the Rules of Golf align with how the game is presented and viewed globally. The PGA Tour will adopt the new Local Rule beginning January 1, 2018 and evolve our protocols for reviewing video evidence as outlined.

LPGA:

We are encouraged by the willingness of the governing bodies to fully vet the issues and implement real change at a pace much quicker than the sport has seen previously. These new adaptations, coupled with changes announced earlier this year, are true and meaningful advances for the game. The LPGA plans to adopt fully the protocols and new Local Rule as outlined.

Getty Images

Sharma closes on Monday, wins Joburg Open

By Associated PressDecember 11, 2017, 12:43 pm

JOHANNESBURG – Shubhankar Sharma won his first European Tour title by a shooting 3-under 69 Monday in the final round of the weather-delayed Joburg Open.

The 21-year-old Indian resumed his round on the eighth green after play was halted early Sunday afternoon because of storms. He parred that hole, birdied No. 9 and made par on every hole on the back nine.


Full-field scores from the Joburg Open


Sharma finished at 23-under 264, three strokes ahead of the pack, and qualified for next year's British Open, too.

''I actually wasn't going to come here about a week ago ... so I'm really happy that I came,'' said Sharma, who shot 61 in the second round. ''I don't think I'm ever going forget my first time in South Africa.''

Erik van Rooyen (66) was second, three strokes ahead of Shaun Norris (65) and Tapio Pulkkanen (68).

Getty Images

Newsmakers of the Year: Top 10 in 2017

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 11, 2017, 12:30 pm