Johnson penalized two shots for being late to tee

By Doug FergusonFebruary 18, 2011, 3:00 am

Northern Trust Open

LOS ANGELES – Dustin Johnson wound up with another bizarre penalty Thursday when his caddie thought his tee time was 40 minutes later than it was, and he had to race up the hill at Riviera just to avoid being disqualified.

Johnson was halfway through his warm-up routine at the Northern Trust Open when a PGA Tour official ran over to the range to tell him he was supposed to be on the No. 1 tee, located up a 100-foot slope next to the historic clubhouse.

“I was like, ‘What are you talking about?”’ Johnson said. “I’ve never missed a tee time before.”

He was given a two-shot penalty for not being on the tee box at 7:32 a.m. – his starting time. Players then have five minutes to get to the tee before they are disqualified, and Johnson made it with six seconds to spare.

Johnson made a par 5 on the opening hole and had to put down for a double bogey. He finished with a 2-over 73 and was six shots behind the leaders from the morning groups.

Last summer, Johnson was penalized two shots on the 18th hole of the PGA Championship when he didn’t realize he was in a bunker at Whistling Straits with the gallery standing all around him. The penalty kept him out of a playoff won by Martin Kaymer.

Johnson’s caddie, Bobby Brown, took the blame for mixing up the tee time.

Brown said the Tour sends text messages of tee times, and they came in all at once – 8:12 a.m. for the Wednesday pro-am, 7:32 a.m. for Thursday’s opening round and 12:12 p.m. for the second round. Brown said for some reason he had “12” stuck in his head, and when Johnson asked him for the tee time Wednesday afternoon, he told him 8:12 a.m.

“I don’t look at my time,” Johnson said. “I leave that up to Bobby.”

Defending champion Steve Stricker was close to sparing Johnson the mistake. Stricker was done hitting balls and was about to climb the hill toward the putting green when he looked over and saw Johnson empty a bucket of balls on the range.

“He started to stretch and I did a double-take,” Stricker said. “I almost said something to him, but then I figured he had been putting and came down to hit a few more balls.”

The starter announced the group at 7:32 a.m. – D.A. Points also was in the group – but Johnson was nowhere to be found.

“We looked down from the first tee and could see Dustin still on the range,” Stricker said. “We tried to yell down to him, but by then it was too late.”

It didn’t get much better for Johnson when he eventually got to the tee. He said he tweaked his left hip running up the stairs toward the first tee, and it took a couple of holes before the pain went away.

“I’ve got to run up those stairs,” he said. “I get up there on the tee, my adrenaline is pumping, and my hip just locked up on me for a couple of holes. It was tight.”

With a bogey on the second hole, he already was 3 over and still trying to settle down.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.