Marino holds slim lead at Pebble Beach

By Doug FergusonFebruary 13, 2011, 5:13 am

2007 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-AmPEBBLE BEACH, Calif. – Thousands of fans came to Pebble Beach for sunshine, scenery and celebrity entertainment. The leaders were somewhere else Saturday in the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am.

Far away from the commotion, Steve Marino struggled with the speed of the greens on the Shore Course at Monterey Peninsula and ended his round with a three-putt bogey from 4 feet for a 1-over 71.

That still was enough for him to take a one-shot lead going into the final round over Jimmy Walker, who had a 63 at Monterey Peninsula, and Bryce Molder, who counted about a dozen people in his gallery at Spyglass Hill on his way to a 68.

Next up is the final round at Pebble Beach, where some measure of normalcy returns to his PGA Tour.

But not entirely.

D.A. Points was among the few players atop the leaderboard who was at Pebble Beach in the third round, and he was getting plenty of attention – or maybe that was for his amateur partner, Bill Murray, decked out in an Elmer Fudd hat.

Points took a double bogey by going over the cliffs on the ninth hole, birdied the 16th and 17th and was poised to take a share of the lead until he couldn’t get out of a fairway bunker on the 18th and wound up with a bogey.

That gave him a 71, putting him two shots out of the lead.

His pro-am team is only one shot behind, meaning Murray gets another crack at Pebble on Sunday.

Marino has been in the final group on the PGA Tour before. He’s never had the assistant head greenskeeper at Bushwood playing in the group ahead of him.

Could he imagine trying to win on the PGA Tour for the first time with Murray in his group?

“That would have been a trip,” Marino said. “I don’t know about that.”

Murray has as many tour victories as the top four players on the leaderboard, which would be none.

Marino, who was at 12-under 202, might be the most tested, having lost in a playoff at Colonial a year ago and finishing with one of the best shots of the young season at the Sony Open last month in Honolulu to finish second.

He is not too bothered by a round that featured a trio of three-putt bogeys, an unplayable lie from a bush and an eagle. Marino said he hit the ball better than he has all week, but could not get used to the pace on the Shore’s greens.

“A strange round,” he said.

Alex Cejka and Tom Gillis were at 9-under 205, while the group another shot back included J.J. Henry, Kevin Sutherland and Aaron Baddeley. They were the only players in the top 10 who have won on tour.

Molder has some experience being in contention, although he is trying to bury part of that memory. A year ago at Pebble Beach, he was closing in on the lead when he took a quintuple-bogey 9 on the 14th hole. Two other players also made 9 on that hole, which is quickly growing a reputation as one of the toughest par 5s on tour without a water hazard.

“I don’t remember what you’re talking about,” Molder said with a grin. “You know, all you can do is laugh. I got there this year (on Thursday) and made a mess of it, had a good up-and-down for bogey.”

Phil Mickelson moved into contention for a fourth title at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am by making three birdies over his final five holes for a 69. That moved him to 7-under 207, only five shots back going into the final round.

“I thought that the round could have been a lot better, but toward the end … I probably got as much out of the round as I could have,” Mickelson said. “But throughout the course of the day, I had many opportunities to go low and I didn’t take advantage of them. I’ve got to go really low tomorrow to give myself a chance.”

It might help that he doesn’t have a lot of experience ahead of him.

Marino isn’t sure that matters.

“All these guys are good,” he said. “Everybody is going to get their experience somewhere, and for some people, it might be tomorrow.”

It figures to be crowded Sunday, inside and outside the ropes.

Because the top 20 pro-am teams play the final round, the cut is top 60 and ties. However, 73 players finished at 2-under 212. That includes two-time defending champion Dustin Johnson, who had to make a 3-foot par putt on the 18th at Pebble to make the cut.

David Duval opened his tournament with no birdies and a 77 at Pebble Beach, but he rallies with rounds of 65 and 70 to make it on the number. Perhaps even more impressive was Jeff Maggert, who opened with 75-74 and shot 62 at Monterey Peninsula.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.