Notes After dispute Mickelson to use Ping lob wedge

By Doug FergusonJanuary 28, 2010, 5:24 am
Farmers Insurance OpenSAN DIEGO – Phil Mickelson has been one of the strongest critics of the U.S. Golf Association’s new regulation that bans square grooves, so it was not surprising that he became the latest player to put the Ping-Eye 2 lob wedge in his bag.

The Ping wedge, which has square grooves, is not affected in this new era of V-shaped grooves because of a lawsuit Ping filed against the USGA that was settled 20 years ago. Under the settlement, any Ping-Eye 2 made before April 1, 1990, is allowed.

Some have said players using the Ping wedges are violating the spirit of the rule.

Mickelson doesn’t buy it.

“I’ve sent in grooves that are legal but have not been approved for play,” he said. “And I feel like the Eye-2 grooves are not legal, or don’t conform, but they are approved for play. And after talking about it to the Tour and the USGA, the only thing that matters is, ‘Are they approved for play?’

“So I don’t feel that there’s any problem if I were to play those clubs or if anybody else were,” Mickelson said. “All that matters is that it is OK under the Rules of Golf.”

Mickelson isn’t alone. John Daly has been collecting Ping-Eye 2 wedges over the last few months and used them in Honolulu. Ditto for Dean Wilson. Among other players using the Ping wedges are Brad Adamonis and Hunter Mahan, whose caddie found the beryllium copper wedge that Mahan is using at Torrey Pines.

Mickelson had several wedges from when he played at Arizona State University. He is only using the lob wedge, which he had Callaway bend from a 60-degree to a 64-degree club.

He said he believes he will pick up even more spin this year in his other wedges because he said Callaway was “fractionally more aggressive” with the V-grooves, and he is using a slightly softer ball.


MAHAN ON TIGER: Hunter Mahan looks forward to the return of Tiger Woods, although he believes the landscape will have changed. Mahan said on Wednesday the intimidation factor was gone even before Woods was caught in a sex scandal.

“We stopped being intimidated by him,” Mahan said. “No one is scared of him. We saw Y.E. Yang play with him and flat-out beat him at the PGA last year. I think people have figured out he’s just a human being.”

The difference, Mahan said, was that Woods achieved so many “unhumanlike things” on the golf course.

He was among those who wonder if Phil Mickelson can fill the void until Woods returns from his indefinite break.

“I think he sees this as an opportunity to step up and kind of be the man a little bit,” said Mahan, who has been Mickelson’s partner at a Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup.

It’s also a chance for other players to take advantage of Woods’ absence and show there’s more to golf than one player.

“It’s an opportunity to step up and show this is not a one-man tour,” Mahan said. “Hopefully, Tiger will come back and be part of it, not the centerpiece.”

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.